DrFirst Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.1

DrFirst Chairman & CEO James F. Chen
James F. Chen

Pros
  • This is a great company who believes that hard work should be rewarded (in 5 reviews)

• Combining the industry itself with the company values - this is a great place to work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The challenges that present themselves only make us a stronger, more skilled sales force (in 3 reviews)

• Long work hours, unreasonable expectations and ever-changing requirements make work as a developer difficult (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

One of the most challenging places in the IT industry if you are up for the task.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Germantown, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Germantown, MD

I have been working at DrFirst full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The feeling that you are in control of your own destiny. You can advance as little or as much as you want. I have seen people that started in a support position become VP of the company.
    The company as a whole genuinely cares about their employees, sometimes you might not feel that way but after 10 years at DrFirst I know they do. There will always be people who feel slighted or that they are not being heard. Yes, DrFirst is not perfect but I am positive they try to be fair to everone.
    The company is not for everyone but neither is the Army. I spent a few years there also and saw 50% of recruits wash out so each of us have to find their own comfort zone. Not comparing the Army to DrFirst but all jobs require a certain amount of commitment. And yes if you cannot meet those goals you will know that. But they will usually give you a opportunity to try something else.

Cons

Sure there will be days when you will work more than your 8 hours a day. But I do not ever remember a job other than in high school that you left at 5pm on the nose. Sometimes people might not be recognized as fast as they should be if you continue, you will.

Get the real faces of the company that actually talk to clients and know what they like and put them together to brainstorm instead of after the fact. The boots on the ground win your wars not the generals who do not ask the opinion of the ground troops. This is coming around so can I complain? Sure. But I think we are moving in a positive way.

Sep 3, 2014HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your honest advice for our management team, and your recognition that we are indeed genuinely working to be better today than yesterday. We all wish we ... More

Not for the creative kind

I worked at DrFirst full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company looks like it is financially stable.

Cons

The company thinks they have it all figured out. There is no room for new ideas. There is a great distrust; employees look like they are afraid to speak their mind. If you dare to try to debate a new idea that does not fit their view, you will be fired. This is not a place for the creative mind. Some people in high positions and questionable technical skills will shut down any dissenting opinion.

Work environment is not employee-friendly.

Former Employee - IT Ops  in  Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - IT Ops in Rockville, MD

I worked at DrFirst full-time for less than a year

Pros

It sponsors H1b sometimes. No other pros.

Cons

Bad management. Long-hour working with no pay.

it is better to change the company culture to make company more successful.

Sep 3, 2014HR Generalist

At DrFirst we do look for ways to demonstrate our appreciation for the hard work and effort of our employees. We invest in our leadership team each quarter to help them grow, and weekly with ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Unorganized

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DrFirst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is fairly casual, in dress and work hours. Choose the shift you want to work and keep those hours. Time off is 18 day per year that includes sick and vacation.

Cons

This place is VERY unorganized. It changes direction constantly. Don't expect a raise your not going to see it. I didn't get a review for a year and a half. They tell you 90 days but I have never seen anyone get a review with an increase in 90 days. Moving to another department is rare and will take at least 2 months to find out if you got the job.

Don't bother they aren't interested in hearing any advice.

Sep 3, 2014HR Generalist

DrFirst is the kind of place that gives all employees the opportunity to grow, transform, and innovate. Those who are willing to invest into the company find that there are limitless ways to ... More

A "good" place if you cannot find another job!

I worked at DrFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you have no other choice, take it. DrFirst never delays your paycheck.

Cons

Overtime is guaranteed.
    High turnover rate is guaranteed.
    Middle and lower level managers are a disaster to most employees and contractors in some tech departments.
    A great place for managers since only what they need to do is to push,push,push. No management concepts! No management skills! No management responsibilities!
    A lot of colleagues are still trapped there by their visa issues。

Actually, most of valuable suggestion were ignored.

Astonishingly inept management, very low morale, extremely high turn-over rate!

I worked at DrFirst full-time for more than a year

Pros

the business sector that DrFirst lies in is a very promising one. DrFirst could be very successful if it does it right.

Cons

Astonishingly inept manage, very low morale, extremely high turn-over rate!

The management simply forces employees and contractors to work very long hours for the extremely unrealistic goals. The company is very stingy in terms of compensating and investing in employees.

too much good advice has been made to the management in so many ways. Management doesn't seem to be interested in it.

Sep 3, 2014HR Generalist

Our company has achieved industry recognition for being leaders in the market due to the internal drive of our world class team and leadership. We strive to have leaders that inspire, not demand ... More

Poor communicators, unrealistic goals, tough environment to succeed

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at DrFirst full-time

Pros

It is possible to succeed at DrFirst but the environment can make it very difficult. DrFirst is a good place to get started in the Healthcare IT industry. Many great people to work with.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover in the last year (over 60%). I think that this is due to poor communication, lack of support and unrealistic expectations/goals. DrFirst is trying to grow rapidly but seems to be getting in the way of itself to grow. The sales teams have been growing significantly quarter by quarter but it's never enough and the goals are completely unrealistic. The core DrFirst products are excellent and the key drivers for revenue but there is constant push to sell new products that are no where near ready for prime time. DrFirst seems far too concerned about bringing in money today rather than treating customers and employees fairly and focusing on long term growth. Product managers are under too much pressure to release a product before it's ready and then get beat up when there are issues.

Find a way to better communicate changes to employees. Take the time to listen to employees and get their input. Seek their input for goals. Be realistic with goal setting. Give people enough time to succeed and provide them the tools to do their job. Also - if you are going to hire a Sales Manager or Director or VP level even - don't get in their way. The CEO should not be running sales meetings.

Sep 3, 2014HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. As we have grown rapidly over the years to scale our organization for success, in the past our priority and focus was placed more on creating innovative products in ... More

Look at the dates of the positive reviews

I worked at DrFirst for more than 3 years

Pros

Employees are asked to write a positive review, sometimes even in exchange for T-shirt or gift card, that is how DrFirst keeps their rating up.

Cons

Don't waste your time on this company or take the job and keep on searching for something better.

Change. No screaming even when it is "out of passion for the company"

Sep 3, 2014HR Generalist

Glassdoor has a policy against employers coercing positive reviews from employees. They have investigated this claim several times and have deemed that we have not done anything that jeopardizes the ... More

Tremendous

Current Employee - Principal Consultant  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Rockville, MD

I have been working at DrFirst as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Pros – I have been a DrFirst employee for over 9 years and just recently when my wife asked me to do some spring cleaning a year or so ago I thought is was going to be the same old boring job that it is every spring! So the first cabinet I opened was the one filled with 7 years of lists, names, cards, daily calendars etc from my seven years at DrFirst. So I started going through some of them and it brought back a flood of memories about events over the past years that have become the fabric of DrFirst.

The clients on all those are for the most part still clients today!

Then the pictures of Mike McClure and I at a Meditech CIO conference where that came around and took pictures, then that was the one with the Canadian mounted police at the international MUSE conference in Canada, then the picture of holiday parties at various places. Then came the employee rosters – I think up to about a year or so ago I must have printed them all out and kept them! Mary, Terri, Sean names I had long forgotten and had taken the skills we all developed together and took jobs elsewhere! But the many of those first employees are still here! The first roster I found had only 38 names on it, today the number is well over 250 and of the 38 there were still 28 employees still here and thriving!

DrFirst and its employees are certainly DDS but even more than that it has been C&L – caring and loyal and it all starts with each and every employee. If you are looking at a place where hard work, friendships and a common goal are held in the highest regard then DrFirst is a place you need to bring your talents.

Cons

DrFirst is a growing organization in an industry that is constantly changing. The challenges that present themselves only make us and the company stronger. I'm incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to work with such amazing people! The con is that work is all consuming at times!

I speak and any employee can speak with management everyday - keep the open door!

Thank you for being DDS!

2 Years, 2 Promotions

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at DrFirst full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was very informed by the time I was given my job offer. Additionally, half way through my interview, a more suitable position opened up and I was given the chance to interview for it. I was ultimately offered this second job. This company values employees and strives to place them where they will be the most valuable. There is a lot of opportunity to advance both horizontally as well as vertically. In addition, the corporate environment encourages ideas and suggestions and employees are not forced to follow a bureaucratic process.

I have been with the company for just over 2 years. The day before my second anniversary, I received my second promotion, which involved moving on to a new department.

Cons

The interview process was extended over two weeks and was very stressful. I was often moved from office to office while waiting for different employees or managers.

Additionally, sometimes the company feels like a large company, sometimes it feels more like a start-up.

Many of the in person interviews where reformatted to phone interviews. They could have been conducted without an office visit. Additionally, reserving one space for the entire visit is much less stressful on the employee.

Sep 3, 2014HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your honest advice for our management team, and your recognition that we are indeed genuinely working to be better today than yesterday. We are always ... More

Worked for DrFirst? Contribute to the Community!