Draeger Medical

2.8

Stefan Dräger

Good Company. Good Industry

I have been working at Draeger Medical

Pros

Benefits are good. Very nice people there.

Cons

some common problems for global companies

Great people to work with, but not much room for advancement

I worked at Draeger Medical

Pros

My co-workers were great and I still talk to many of them. The benefits are pretty good too.

Cons

No room for advancement, took away chance to get 5k bonus, raises are less then 3%

Realize that the US market is not the German market. Fight to keep good people and help them to advance in the company.

It's too late for me..save yourself.

Current Employee - Engineer in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Andover, MA

I have been working at Draeger Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A large, 100 year old hardwood tree uprooted one day and came close to taking out the entire executive management wing.

Cons

The tree would have to cut through our largest conference room to squash the executives below.

..Shockingly inexperienced and disconnected executive management.

..Abysmal and indeed incompetent IT management, staff and support.

..Poor physical work environment. (Bullpens with zero privacy, no gym, expensive cafeteria, filthy bathrooms)

To be fair, there are some truly world-class engineers that work here, but I've seen too many leave in disgust in the short time I've been working with Draeger. The demographics are almost entirely skewed to the 30-40 year old range for the engineering staff. Younger engineers don't last long here.

The executive management team appears flummoxed at times. They will prattle on about things that really have no consequence on the product. We rarely preface our design reviews with field representatives that are in the trenches trying to sell our product. I think I've only heard from a sales executive once or maybe twice in the 50-some-odd "all hands" R&D meetings we've had. I guess I have so many questions I'd like to ask; What will the market size be in 201X and at what rate will it grow? How are we positioning ourselves to compete in that market for the next year, 5 years and 10 years? What are our challenges to market growth? What is currently driving this market? Is our price-point inline with the US market and other markets? Who is our key competition? What are the opportunities and threats faced by each of theses key competitors? What are their strengths and weaknesses of each of them?

But alas, instead of answers to any of our market concerns and indeed our livelihood, we get a bunch of happy-joy-joy rhetoric from our executives at the all-hands and seemingly random guesses to what we think the consumer might like to see fixed/implemented in the product for our next development cycle. We operate almost exclusively on the delusion that "we know what's best for the consumer". It's just an all-around very depressing place to work. In the time I am writing this the economy is still faltering. However, I do believe that there will come a day when the job market improves. And when that day comes..I'll make my break past the guard towers and past the outer perimeter of Stalag Draeger.

Three words; Adderall, Adderall, Adderall.

Glass is half full

I have been working at Draeger Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits, nice life-work balance. Well funded company, should be able to weather the current climate in medical devices.

Cons

Cumbersome and burdensome processes result in slow results and achievements which give the competition a leg up. Organization is split into to may silos that act as independent entities and do not cooperate with one another. Sales and Service work for the short term to meet their goals and receive their bonuses and rewards at the expense of long term growth and prosperity for the company. Employees on the development / manufacturing side are unable to maintain a growth oriented road map and instead must react to every knew commitment by sales.

Install a North American president who truly understands the market and country dynamics - maybe someone from this country!. Stop listening to greedy managers on the sales side who only have their well being in mind. Allow the seasoned marketing professionals you have on staff to do their jobs and lay out a long term growth strategy that is followed. Stop thinking that you know it all - use the experts you have hired to help guide the ship..

Mixed bag. Good regional leadership. questionable global leadership

I have been working at Draeger Medical full-time

Pros

strong reputation in most fields. family oriented company that tries to keep good employees. compensation is acceptable and benefits are good. good work-life balance.

Cons

way too bureaucratic for a company of its size. takes too long to get anything done. not certain if country has enough influence to get what they want from corporate

Draeger Safety was a good place to work

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Draeger Medical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Draeger was a good place to work, compensation and benefits were good. Management was OK.. I enjoyed working with all of my co-workers and keep it touch with most of them.

Cons

No loyalty. I spent a lot of years there and would have done anything for the company. New management could care less. Very poor direction.

When you have loyal and committed employees treat them with respect.

Not what I was hired to do

I worked at Draeger Medical full-time

Pros

My co-workers were very nice and personable. Personnel from Germany came in and everyone was invited to dinner at a nice restaurant and a ferry ride in Philadelphia.

Cons

I was told that "work was my priority" even though I gave my all every day. Most of my job was calling utility companies and paying bills. I was not hired to do this. The job description was more senior level and should have had more responsibility. I feel I was kind of deceived. I was there regularly until after 8 or 9 at night.

Write better job descriptions so that people know what they're getting in to. Understand that people have lives outside of work and not everyone lives to work.

There are Pro's and Con's of employment at Draeger Medical

Current Employee - Technical Support in Andover, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Andover, MN

I have been working at Draeger Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Although ultimately you are working to make money for you and for the Draeger family, you have an opportunity to work with a greater purpose in mind. Technology for Life is the company slogan. The middle and upper middle management team is very easy to work with and very flexible with family life. Salaries are also very competitive for common positions which can be easily matched for salary with other businesses.

Cons

Most of the technology and key employees are located in Germany, as is the global corporate headquarters. From the outside it appears the employees within the global headquarters are not very trusting of the US counterparts, and as result withhold responsibility. This is not my experience, but I hear this recount week over week. I have also heard it is difficult to gain access to a management position if you are not at that level at hire.

The start of something great

I worked at Draeger Medical

Pros

I worked at Dräger for 3 years, and enjoyed my time there. Here are some thoughts as I look back.

Ability to build, and maintain products that help save lives was the biggest reward.

Engineering management listened to employees

Extremely passionate cross disciplined project teams

Problem solving was at its best due to strengthening bridge between the US and Germany

Cons

Not a lot to say, overall was very happy. Some issues were highly complex and very challenging, which can lead to moderate stress levels.

Keep listening.

Sales support

I have been working at Draeger Medical

Pros

Generally nice people, quality medical devices. Folks try their best to accomplish what they can within the constraints in place. Nice view out the windows.

Cons

Where to start? Processes are terrible. Not clearly defined or known. Poorly managed by new North American CEO. Too siloed. Departments do NOT communicate. Too slow to market. Little to no innovation

Draeger Medical Photos