Drake International

Updated December 8, 2014

R. W. Pollock

Diverse Work Place

I have been working at Drake International as an intern

Pros

Gives chance to share ideas to improve the sourcing process. Has good work environment.

Cons

Lesser chance for promotion inside the company since population is not really that big.

poor management

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Drake International

Pros

great to learn fundamentals of recruiting and to gain work experience. great team.

Cons

inexperienced management. do not celebrate achievement. upper management is not educated about what goes on in their own company.

YOU MAKE YOUR OWN PATH

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Drake International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Entrepreneurial organization, where you get exactly what you put in. Due to the flat structure of the organization, you can have a great deal of progression and success if you perform.
    - Key people are outstanding and extremely motivational.
    - Base salaries are mid-market, variable bonus plans are very aggressive (again, directed at high performers).
    - Training and coaching opportunities are readily available.
    - Socials" every Friday.
    - If you have an idea that has ROI, there is a high likelihood that you can run with it.
    - Company is becoming more globally minded.

Cons

- Low performers are sometimes given an equal voice by the involved owner.
    - Turn-over is an issue in branches where there is no strong manager.
    - Salary reviews are not necessarily annualized.

- Be decisive and remove non-performers or low-performers.
    - Do not allow senior people in the organization to get away with negative language that degrades the brand.
    - Focus on implementing ideas that work in the current market (not ideas from 1960's-70's).

Satisfying First Interview

Current Employee - Client in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Client in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Drake International part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was referred by a friend to Drake. He gave me a number to get in touch with the agency, and things went smooth onwards. The agent I met with was very friendly and easy to communicate with, and got the most out of me.

Cons

I have read a lot here on the site, but it's honestly too soon for me to comment or list any negatives on my behalf. I am currently waiting for them to get in touch with an offer from a company that is ready to employ me.

Lacked accountable leaders

I worked at Drake International (less than an year)

Pros

Great people and outstanding office location.

Cons

Bonus plan was not clear and consequently did not get paid on. Management team were not empowered to correct this and shortly after left the business.

Create a succession plan and execute it. Give accountability to general managers and don't chop and change sales compensation plans

In the business of people - they know nothing about managing, developing or retaining top talent

Former Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Drake International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

they pay you bi-weekly, they have heated offices, on a bus route, phones work, secure office

Cons

everything - management, delivery model, lack of trust, pay,

I would offer up advice if I actually thought for a second they would listen.

Fast paced, excellent structure in place, but room for improvement on their culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)

I worked at Drake International

Pros

Drake offer excellent training & Development opportunities and the incentives to perform is really good, e.g. Club 100, etc.

Cons

It may be the result of a typical female dominated industry, but there is a serious problem with Drake's organisational culture! Office politics are really unpleasant and I feel the business is putting too much effort and emphasis on productivity and performance and forget the most important aspect of their business, the people.

Great company, lots of room for career development

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Drake International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, friendly and helpful colleagues.
    Always giving as much training and coaching you need to succeed
    The career path at Drake is very clear
    International opportunities are always shared with all employees in a global scale

Cons

Being at Drake for only few months I don’t have much to say about Cons.
    They are not very flexible about starting times, but quite understanding if there is a need to leave on time.

keep up the good work!

What there was an option for rating a company zero stars...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Drake International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are really very few positives. I would sooner have bowel cancer than work with Drake ever again.

Cons

Genuinely, it's difficult to even consider where I should start.

As a management consultant with many, many years behind me I can honestly say that I have never seen an organisation so poorly managed, so poorly resourced and with such an ingrained culture of misery and schoolyard politics than I witnessed daily for five years at Drake.

You may ask, "but why would you stay with a company you so hated for five whole years?" and that would be reasonable. The answer is most likely Stockholm Syndrome - when victims of kidnappings develop feelings for their captor, but then again, it could also be the fact that we were all so beaten down that sheer inertia kept me in place.

The pay is terrible, let's get that one out of the way straight off. Actually, terrible would be a compliment to their pay structure - working at Drake is tantamount to middle class slavery. There are bonus structures in place: MBI (we called it the "Mythical Bonus Incentive") and PFP (which we called "Pay for Pollock"), don't expect to receive either of these - god knows I never saw anyone receive one anyway. The chances for advancement are nil, unless of course you are a preternaturally attractive blonde woman under 30 and then the world is your oyster (you'll still be paid terribly though - sorry!).

There was always a lot of talk of technology. Technology this, technology that - my laptop was five years old when I started. It was the same laptop I returned to them on my last day five years later. No word of a lie, it ran Windows 98.

The "leadership team" is a self serving entity. They, as a clique, prepare statements for the octogenarian billionaire who owns the place that tell him exactly what he wants to hear while singling out individual workplace nemesis as 'non-performers' to lay blame on. The leadership team exists purely to ensure their own existence. This is the same in every Drake country, I worked in three of them, trust me.

There is a culture of cruelty within Drake. I once witnessed the then managing director in Toronto dismiss staff over loudspeaker - it was Christmas Eve. People were routinely threatened and belittle... It was not an uncommon occurrence to set people up for failure.

This simple question has to be asked: Why is an organisation that hasn't turned a profit in close to a decade still trading? What does it offer other than an opportunity for adults to play 'work' the way that children play 'house'?

Really. Give up. This management thing just isn't for you.

Challenging, interesting work

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Drake International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Innovative in terms of product offering

Cons

Tightly controlled by absent canadian owner.