DreamBox Learning

Take Another Look at DreamBox - 2013

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We are a growing! We have an AMAZING product that is changing how kids learn math. It is a privilege to be a part of a company all about helping students learn with technology, regardless of their zip code. This is a company you will want to work for. People with a passion, a product to revolutionize the way kids learn and a continual vision for aggressive growth. I am proud to be a part of DreamBox Learning!

Cons

Some past employees who either left because we grew out of "start up mode" or were let go feel the need to negatively vent on glassdoor. Change is hard and uncomfortable, but those of us who have stuck it out have seen our CEO's vision come to fruition. Don't get me wrong - it's not perfect, but management is focused on making the DreamBox Learning culture better all the time and it is nothing like most of the reviews here.

Continue to motivate, mentor and recognize the hard work and success of your great teams. We have a great LT in place and look forward to our future growth.

THE place to help kids learn math

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a pleasure to work someplace where the product you serve really works. DreamBox is "Best of Breed" when it comes to helping students succeed in math. The team with whom I work is fun and positive. We know how to work hard and yet how to laugh and enjoy the day, too. The managment has always been supportive of me and when I have asked for support from other departments, I have always received it. We are growing quickly and I see even more exciting things happening on the horizon for this company.

Cons

As with any start up company, there have been lots of changes. I think the targeted growth pattern may be very ambitious. Everyone needs to feel successful and sometimes that takes time, especially in the education arena.

Be consistent and positive.

Being A part of the Next Big Thing, and Helping Kids while doing it!

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

The amazing blended of brains at this company allows for every single employee to learn something new every single day. The sales team learns from development, the CEO is always jumping in on idea collaboration and is super approachable, and the client success and marketing teams want to be as hands on as possible. This truly feels like a family where everyone has the same goal, and everyone is willing and happy to go the extra mile to get there. Fantastic product that is going to rock the education software industry!

Cons

Sales team goals are very high, and expectations to produce are right there with them. Yearly quotas are some of the largest numbers I have seen in general across the industry. However, training is there and sales management is very accessible. Culture is still forming, so everyone brings new flavor to the team and new ideas of what they would like to see happening each day.

Lead by example and share those examples much more openly about what/how/why something works, be specific. Be consistent with messaging, even if are company is transitioning and evolving.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best-in-Class Product

Current Employee - Sales/Customer Service  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales/Customer Service in Seattle, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company has what so many others don't--a truly best-in-class product that has the potential to help millions of kids. Kids write in feedback daily about what lessons they love, and how they are now good at math and are learning so much.
    I love hearing from customers how much DreamBox is helping their students and teachers.
    Good office location- right next to Expedia and the Civica buliding.
    Nice coworkers.
    Decent work/life balance.
    Folks race scooters around the office, nice summer party with families, clowns, food and games, lots of folks are parents so they get when you kid is sick you need to work from home, etc.
    You get to help kids across the country and in your backyard (Seattle Public Schools, Bellevue Public Schools, Mercer Island Schools, Highline Schools).

Cons

The usual with any company...firedrills, too many initiatives and not enough time.

Continue to value your employees and invest in them. Focus on what is working. Praise in public and coach in private.

Great growing start up of earnest, passionate and smart people

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Someone just told me about this site and in reading the reviews I feel like they in no way reflect the company I work with, the people I work with, or the environment and potential of the place I come to work with every day. I feel like every review written here is by a disgruntled ex-employee (or someone who will be one soon) and should be taken with a serious grain of salt.

DreamBox is the 5th company I've worked at (from big global companies to small start ups) and it is a great place to work. The team is smart and motivated, the leadership cares about the product and its impact on kids, the people and the company. The company is at a great size for collaboration, exciting projects and continued growth. The product is amazing. I enjoy coming to work. I enjoy my colleagues. I enjoy the work we are doing together.

We have had a number of folks leave in the last 1.5 years after we were acquired--which I have seen at many other companies as well. We have also hired a number- going from about 20 people to closer to 50 or 60. In looking back most of the folks who left were just not happy with the changes that come with a growing and evolving company. That is fair. I believe if you are not happy- you should find a different job. On the upside, the atmosphere of the company, the culture and collaboration has improved significantly since a number of folks have moved on. I wish them all the best in the future.

Cons

We've gone through a lot of changes in the last two years- from a small, passionate and earnest start up to being acquired, hiring a new CEO, and growing the team. Going from a start up to a company with more defined roles and procedures is always hard--and some folks take the changes and evolution better than others. Coming from a larger company in the past I thought it was exciting to see DreamBox moving towards its potential from a small seed and vision to growing cusotmers, students, and employees. I miss many of the wonderful folks who have left the company--but also know that DreamBox has added really talented new team members along the way that will help us continue to improve our product for kids, teachers and schools.

Frustrating, stressful, occasionally rewarding experience

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Employees are working towards a great goal of teaching kids math. Great coworkers & a good and friendly office culture. An educational experience you will learn from great people. Every once in a while there's a moment when something truly special is accomplished and your department will share that moment with you. The company is successful because we offer a unique and effective product.

Cons

Upper management gets accused of playing it fast and loose. Raises and promotions never seem to happen. Lots of "leaders" getting hired but we can't seem to get actual "workers" to do all the new work the managers keep creating. Overall it's a very frustrating experience.

If you ask for advice then actually do something with the advice. Don't just hang it on a wall or completely ignore it.

Mission Driven Startup

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

DreamBox is a place where everyone is excited about helping young children master math concepts. It's small enough to know everyone, and is located in a nice building in downtown Bellevue. If you have a passion for frontier software that serves students, families and schools, you will get great experience at this company. Most of the people are really nice.

Cons

There is more turnover than one would expect for a company of this size. There are good and bad causes of this, so if you are interviewing, try to understand that and make your own decision about it.

Same as the advice to any management team with strong aspirations for good leadership; listen to employees, listen to customers, listen to each other and then act on what you learn. And over communicate.

A great mission is not enough.

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Great mission to transform the way the world learns. Who wouldn't want to make a difference? There are a number of talented people who work at DreamBox and help to make this an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

Recent performance reviews were a joke. Leadership promotes the same people again and again. Limited resources to support work that needs to be done. Employees do their work to support the business out of their commitment to the kids who use our product and their general commitment to the mission.

Management "listens" but doesn't change.

Not interested in excellence or learning

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

The product is amazing, especially the parts that went through multiple betas before being shipped. Feedback from kids, parents, teachers, and the education industry is quite good. If you are a mid-career professional and just want a job that you can feel good telling the relatives about then you'll probably be happy here. If you are looking for anything else, look elsewhere.

Cons

The company does not value excellence. You will be asked to ship a sub-par product and do things that are not in the best interest of customers. When those customers are disadvantaged children that is hard.

DreamBox is woefully behind best practices in software engineering. They fail the Joel Test and although they claim to do "agile" it is really frantic waterfall. If you've read the Pragmatic Programmer and liked it you will be miserable here.

Management plays favorites and cronyism is common. Favorites get the interesting/easy assignments and promotions. Non-favorites get impossible assignments that make it feel like you are being managed out. Skill or output doesn't determine who is a favorite, in fact lack of skill seems to help.

Salaries are below average and there are no bonuses. If you are a young professional trying to build a career it won't happen at DreamBox. They won't invest in you. They won't give you training or mentoring or feedback to help you improve. They won't give you a promotion so that you can be on the same level as someone doing the same work an another company. If you choose to invest in yourself they won't support you and may be openly hostile to your efforts.

Fire all the engineering leadership. Replace them with people who are leaders in the technologies you use. If you do this you'll get better software in less time for less money. You'll need fewer engineers. Your employees will get mentoring to improve and it will be easier to hire for open positions since people will have actually heard of your company and will respect their boss.

Invest in your people. The recession is over. Your employees can go elsewhere and make more money, improve themselves, and be recognized for their accomplishments. Hire experts to help you instead of stubbornly insisting that your people are the best at everything. They aren't. They were average 5 years ago and have fallen even further behind. You need someone to give you objective feedback instead of patting yourselves on the back or saying that everyone has the same problems you do. You'll fail if you don't start getting advice from those who've been successful.

Like to watch and be a part of slow motion train wrecks? This is the place to be!

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good product and some great people that are very intelligent. Creativity manages to thrive even though environment was perfectly designed to stifle it. Software is supposed to help kids succeed, which is a noble goal. Excellent rooftop views for periods of unusual weather. High level of staff churn means you get to work with new people all the time and don't need to develop more than superficial relationships with coworkers. Almost 100% chance that the human resources staff that hired you won't be there to fire you.

Cons

As with bad reality TV, the DreamBox Learning experience could use better scripting. Can only imagine that senior management meetings are most in need given the stuff that comes out of them. But, if you're looking for a place to use as the basis for writing a business case study someday, you couldn't pick a better company to join. As long as business success isn't a criterion.

Collectively resign under the guise of wanting to spend more time with your families. Or, stop dreaming and start thinking. Adaptively.

Worked for DreamBox Learning? Contribute to the Community!