DreamBox Learning

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
2.5

Jessie Woolley-Wilson

DreamBox is a great place to work

I have been working at DreamBox Learning

Pros

I am excited to come into work each and everyday. We do great things for children. The people I work with and the service we provide are incredible. The company culture is unmatched. A deep sense of purpose is shared across the organization and the employees.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Keep the bar high and let the product and the mission speak for itself.

Take Another Look at DreamBox - 2013

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We are a growing! We have an AMAZING product that is changing how kids learn math. It is a privilege to be a part of a company all about helping students learn with technology, regardless of their zip code. This is a company you will want to work for. People with a passion, a product to revolutionize the way kids learn and a continual vision for aggressive growth. I am proud to be a part of DreamBox Learning!

Cons

Some past employees who either left because we grew out of "start up mode" or were let go feel the need to negatively vent on glassdoor. Change is hard and uncomfortable, but those of us who have stuck it out have seen our CEO's vision come to fruition. Don't get me wrong - it's not perfect, but management is focused on making the DreamBox Learning culture better all the time and it is nothing like most of the reviews here.

Continue to motivate, mentor and recognize the hard work and success of your great teams. We have a great LT in place and look forward to our future growth.

Visionary CEO driving an adaptive culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Jessie is one of the most inspiring and visionary CEOs I've ever had the pleasure of working for. She knows how to inspire a company while also helping to build the integrity and presence of an entire industry sector. DreamBox is dedicated to being a premier EdTech company, and it shows.

The company values are spot on and help drive fruitful discussions.

Cons

Resources can sometimes be light, but we have lofty goals and visions.

Organization is still a bit flat, making growth hard for some; however, that is somewhat expected for a company of this size.

No longer a con - The previous lack of communication was really addressed in 2014 and has grown leaps and bounds since then.

THE place to help kids learn math

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a pleasure to work someplace where the product you serve really works. DreamBox is "Best of Breed" when it comes to helping students succeed in math. The team with whom I work is fun and positive. We know how to work hard and yet how to laugh and enjoy the day, too. The managment has always been supportive of me and when I have asked for support from other departments, I have always received it. We are growing quickly and I see even more exciting things happening on the horizon for this company.

Cons

As with any start up company, there have been lots of changes. I think the targeted growth pattern may be very ambitious. Everyone needs to feel successful and sometimes that takes time, especially in the education arena.

Be consistent and positive.

Being A part of the Next Big Thing, and Helping Kids while doing it!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

The amazing blended of brains at this company allows for every single employee to learn something new every single day. The sales team learns from development, the CEO is always jumping in on idea collaboration and is super approachable, and the client success and marketing teams want to be as hands on as possible. This truly feels like a family where everyone has the same goal, and everyone is willing and happy to go the extra mile to get there. Fantastic product that is going to rock the education software industry!

Cons

Sales team goals are very high, and expectations to produce are right there with them. Yearly quotas are some of the largest numbers I have seen in general across the industry. However, training is there and sales management is very accessible. Culture is still forming, so everyone brings new flavor to the team and new ideas of what they would like to see happening each day.

Lead by example and share those examples much more openly about what/how/why something works, be specific. Be consistent with messaging, even if are company is transitioning and evolving.

Best-in-Class Product

Current Employee - Sales/Customer Service in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales/Customer Service in Seattle, WA

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company has what so many others don't--a truly best-in-class product that has the potential to help millions of kids. Kids write in feedback daily about what lessons they love, and how they are now good at math and are learning so much.
    I love hearing from customers how much DreamBox is helping their students and teachers.
    Good office location- right next to Expedia and the Civica buliding.
    Nice coworkers.
    Decent work/life balance.
    Folks race scooters around the office, nice summer party with families, clowns, food and games, lots of folks are parents so they get when you kid is sick you need to work from home, etc.
    You get to help kids across the country and in your backyard (Seattle Public Schools, Bellevue Public Schools, Mercer Island Schools, Highline Schools).

Cons

The usual with any company...firedrills, too many initiatives and not enough time.

Continue to value your employees and invest in them. Focus on what is working. Praise in public and coach in private.

Great Product - Company is disorganized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The product is amazing. One of the best out there - Nice location, CEO is great. Benefits were standard for a tech company. Compensation (at least for me) was generous.

Cons

The compensation for some employees was low, no structure for promotions/advancement. Management was often just non-managers that were promoted because they were there, not people who were actually experienced in management.

Train your managers or hire people that know what they are doing.

Frustrating, stressful, occasionally rewarding experience

I have been working at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Employees are working towards a great goal of teaching kids math. Great coworkers & a good and friendly office culture. An educational experience you will learn from great people. Every once in a while there's a moment when something truly special is accomplished and your department will share that moment with you. The company is successful because we offer a unique and effective product.

Cons

Upper management gets accused of playing it fast and loose. Raises and promotions never seem to happen. Lots of "leaders" getting hired but we can't seem to get actual "workers" to do all the new work the managers keep creating. Overall it's a very frustrating experience.

If you ask for advice then actually do something with the advice. Don't just hang it on a wall or completely ignore it.

Mission Driven Startup

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

DreamBox is a place where everyone is excited about helping young children master math concepts. It's small enough to know everyone, and is located in a nice building in downtown Bellevue. If you have a passion for frontier software that serves students, families and schools, you will get great experience at this company. Most of the people are really nice.

Cons

There is more turnover than one would expect for a company of this size. There are good and bad causes of this, so if you are interviewing, try to understand that and make your own decision about it.

Same as the advice to any management team with strong aspirations for good leadership; listen to employees, listen to customers, listen to each other and then act on what you learn. And over communicate.

A great mission is not enough.

I worked at DreamBox Learning full-time

Pros

Great mission to transform the way the world learns. Who wouldn't want to make a difference? There are a number of talented people who work at DreamBox and help to make this an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

Recent performance reviews were a joke. Leadership promotes the same people again and again. Limited resources to support work that needs to be done. Employees do their work to support the business out of their commitment to the kids who use our product and their general commitment to the mission.

Management "listens" but doesn't change.