DreamHost Reviews

1. Great Democratic Place to Work

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Brea, CA

I have been working at DreamHost

Pros

DreamHost Social Hour, fun place to work with values! They don't take themselves too serious.

Cons

Management sometimes say they want "team members" to have a voice, but often they feel not heard.

2. I f***ing love working here.

I have been working at DreamHost full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am constantly turning down recruiters who contact me because I'm really happy working for DreamHost. I'm sure the experience is different for everybody, but... I have a manager who is technically competent and easy to talk to, and I like all of my coworkers (seriously, I can't think of a single coworker I don't like). The salary is decent, I get to work with cutting-edge tech, the remote-working policy rules, the company redistributes profits as bonuses and raises for everybody instead of just upper management, we have one of the most LGBT-friendly workplaces I've ever seen, and the company's direction as a whole is incredibly democratic.

Cons

The democratic nature of the company is kind of a double-edged sword; it can take a really long time to get consensus sometimes. The development team could be a lot more diverse. The perks are decent if you're in the main office in LA, but not as ridiculous as some of the startups I've worked for (no free weekly massage or laundry services, free lunch twice a week instead of three free meals a day, etc). From my perspective, there's definitely room to improve, but there's nothing so awful that it can't be fixed, and other people in the company actually care.

Advice to Management

I really think that we need more diversity in the development team. That'd be #1 on my list of "Things we can seriously improve in 2015" if I had such a list.

A decent place to work with a fun culture

I have been working at DreamHost

Pros

culture of great people who speak hacker. Provides stellar benefits.

Cons

Built on a loose collection of undocumented scripts that are all broken on some level, locked into some pretty awful technologies and their cloud projects are deathmarches doomed to failure for various reasons yet they keep pouring money into those projects despite what a disaster they are. I predict the company will implode soon.

Advice to Management

Practice some "shameless honesty" regarding the maturity of your projects.

5. Fun culture and passionate employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I have been working at DreamHost

Pros

DreamHost is really quite a relaxing place to work at, and the hours are flexible for many positions. The company makes its fun, "startup-y" culture a priority, as evidenced by the ping-pong and foosball tables. Great people to work with too, they all seem to love what they do. There are definitely many opportunities to interact with all the employees both at the Brea and LA offices.

Cons

Salary was a bit lower than average. Also, not much diversity around the office, but that's Orange County for you.

a company that cares about the bottom line, and not much else.

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Brea, CA

I worked at DreamHost full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun and interesting work environment. Coworkers are easy to talk to and are passionate about what they do. The company was listed as one of the top workplaces in California for three years in a row (based on employee feedback), but they haven't been able to maintain that status the past few years for good reason.

Cons

Management seems to only care about numbers and the bottom line. The company seems to neglect quality of service and treats employees and customers like a herd of cattle. Management would rather herd customers through the system rather than giving customers individual attention. Management has made some poor investments in the past that has caused employees to suffer as a result. The company was listed as one of the top workplaces in California for three years in a row (based on employee feedback), but they haven't been able to maintain that status the past few years for good reason.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. If you truly care about customers and employees experiences with the company, don't treat them like cattle. Loosen up on quota demands. Give customers better resources for help and instructions. Provide better technical documentation for employees and customers.

Great people to work with and learn about Linux hosting

Former Employee - Tech Support in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Support in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DreamHost

Pros

The people are real friendly, and are always willing to help. You can always request time off or sick days as long as you explain briefly why. They provide snacks & drinks, a foosball table to take your frustrations on as well as a pool table. Very friendly environment, with freedom to do what you want with your computer set up (install anything as well as install whatever OS you decide). Desks are NOT cubicles, which of course makes it feel less like a slave environment, and some La-Z Boy chairs. Very relaxed place to work. Ability to work from home some days, and you can chose to work on holidays for half the day at home as well. For pregnancies, they give you 4 weeks paid off, and 4 weeks working from home which is a lot more than any other place I've worked at.

Cons

The starting pay was a little below average in my opinion, but I suppose it makes up in the amount of benefits and perks that you receive (like Health, Dental & Vision).

Advice to Management

They were glad to help you out and would help you personally if you fell behind in your daily numbers. Are always flexible to assist you with any problems that you may have, like hours or days worked.

RSS Feed </> Embed