DreamWorks Animation

Updated December 23, 2014
3.6

DreamWorks Animation CEO and Director Jeffrey Katzenberg
Jeffrey Katzenberg

Pros
  • great campus and free breakfast and lunch for all employees (in 32 reviews)

• Good people, free food, people seem to really care about your future, stable work (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Doesn't even cover the cost of living (in 6 reviews)

• r&d has trouble retaining good engineers but management will not admit the problem is poor management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

STARTING TO LOOK GOOD

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation

Pros

I am currently working at this studio on their upcoming film ME AND MY SHADOW, which was delayed for a long time but is finally in production. Let me just say that working here is fantastic. Free food and parking. This studio is going back to 2d animation.

Cons

No cons. Great place to work.

No advice.

respectful and creative place to work

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Glendale, CA

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food doesn't hurt but besides that being a nice perk, it does bond the company employees together too. You see many of the same faces over and over and slowly feel more like a family. More so than when I worked for Disney.

Cons

There are managers in place who are not experienced enough to be managers.

Weed out the people who aren't performing their jobs. There are many more qualified folks in the company already, who are becoming disenchanted with DWA because getting promoted is impossible because management is clogged with poor managers.

It was excellent until recent times.

Current Employee - Layout Artist in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Layout Artist in Glendale, CA

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Creative Environment
    Competitive Salaries
    Lots of Perks
    Causal Atmosphere

Cons

Upper and mid-level managers are not qualified.

Upper management needs to step back and focus on business. Film making is not their area of expertise and this is why the company is struggling to make a movie the public wants to see and establish a brand that will last.

Great First Career Thus Far

Current Employee - Coordinator in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Glendale, CA

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great People
    Not too big a company
    Sense of pride and community
    Jeffrey Katzenberg is open and honest with employees and genuinely does what he thinks is best for DWA. He loves and values what he's built.

Cons

Film slate is not promising
    Wrong people at executive level making production decisions
    HR department protects the sour apples, not the people brave enough to tell them the truth

See "Cons" section

Finance, Accountants - Approach with caution....

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Technical knowledge of accounting and finance management is solid. They are conservative in their approach, and keep all well informed. Their methodologies are a bit unorthodox, but they certainly do their best to get things right, and record them properly. Oh yeah, there's the free breakfast and lunches to all employees, a nice perk, but they really had no choice - there's nothing to eat around the campus. No gym, but they do have yoga and other classes available.

Cons

Where do I begin? Inexperienced management is a start. While most are technically solid, they lack the people management experience to truly develop talent. Instead of teaching, they spend their time fighting one fire after another. Blame is not squarely on them - senior management - both operational and financial - have a "shoot first, do the accounting later" attitude that fuels the ensuing chaos. Also, they tend to not see the forest for the trees. While these characteristics are not uncommon in some major employers, to have all of them working at the same time in a company is the perfect employee storm.

Stop the bleeding - turnover is rampant, maybe they should ask 'why' before posting the next open position. Also, the finance group should have a more active role in the company decisions to better prepare the department for upcoming business deals, changes in production, etc. Finally - lose the consultants. For as long as I have worked here, I have never seen so many of them at one time in any other company that I've worked for. Why not hire full time employees?

Great experience to really grasp your creative side of technology.

Current Employee - Configuration Management in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Configuration Management in Glendale, CA

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation

Pros

Free breakfast and lunch. Beautiful area and weather was great. People are very nice and welcoming.

Cons

Under paid for work that is done.,

None

Fantastic, immersive, fun experience!

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in the NYC office for about two years and it was great. The people I worked with are some of the brightest, most inclusive I've ever encountered in a professional setting.

Cons

As with any media company, there are crunch times, and you've got to be prepared to put in long hours when necessary. Also, the NYC office pales in comparison to the HQ in Glendale, but that really can't be easily fixed.

A few more perks for the NYC office would be nice, to offset the perks that DWA employees in Glendale receive by being on the main campus.

Loved working here!

Former Employee - Coordinator in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Glendale, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall an incredible and singular place to work. From life drawing classes to screenings and free food, the perks are pretty great. The insurance is the best I've had from any employer. There is a doctor on campus. It's a work hard play hard kind of place. Amazing people. Company culture is the best I've experienced in the industry.

Cons

Creatively the brand could focus more on original character and story. The business model favors "big idea" films and franchises in a place full of true artists. Lots of untapped and/or frustrated talent, not uncommon in the business.

Promote from within. Consider further training and programs that would afford employees quicker growth opportunities.

Long term dedicated employee

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture, cares for employees, creative environment. It's not too big so you aren't "just a number" like many of the larger studios.

Cons

Movies have not been strong or done well in recent years, which affects morale and company value. Workload can get hectic at times.

Working at DreamWorks Animation was one of the best experiences of my life.

Former Employee - Intern in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Redwood City, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone has a smile on their face.
    Amazing culture to work in.
    The management was always willing to help out with anything they could.
    When I didn't understand something I felt very confident in asking anyone around me a question.

Cons

While I was working there I found no cons.
    Every person who I met while working there was intelligent, kind, creative, and willing to help me.

The management at DreamWorks could not be any better. Every manager I met knew what they were doing and displayed that they were a leader.

DreamWorks Animation Photos