DreamWorks Animation

Reset
3.6
DreamWorks Animation CEO and Director Jeffrey Katzenberg
Jeffrey Katzenberg

Pros
  • Free breakfast and lunch with a wide variety to choose from (in 32 reviews)

• Lots of free food and delightful campus (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • r&d has trouble retaining good engineers but management will not admit the problem is poor management (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay compared to industry standard (in 5 reviews)

1. Great People!

Former Employee - Character Effects Artist in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Character Effects Artist in Redwood City, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked here for many years and the studio is filled with fun, super smart people. There are a lot of little perks like on-site dining that really add up to a great experience.

Cons

It is very difficult to gain any upwards movement. Supervisors typically stay at the studio for long periods of time, making it difficult to ever receive more responsibilities as an employee.

Advice to Management

Focus on making great movies instead of expanding into other business areas. There was a great family culture at DreamWorks and it would be great if that could be re-invigorated.

Amazing Company Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- amazing people and company culture. I loved working with the producers and directors on my film. You are truly surrounded by the most creative people and its very inspiring

Cons

There isn't much work life balance

3. small fish in the big pond

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

new york, great office, great team

Cons

small fish in a big pond

5. Treat employees well

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation full-time

Pros

Dreamwork's creates a great work setting, and really makes an effort to treat employees well.

Cons

Some of their production technology is out of date and overly cumbersome to use.

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep employees challenged and able to produce their best work.

6. Best Daily Job for a Company in a Rough Patch

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free daily lunch.
    Relaxed atmosphere.
    Amazing People.
    Well-known projects.
    Huge experience boost.

Cons

Low morale when movies perform poorly.
    Frequent Layoffs.
    Lack of executive understanding in daily operations.
    Low pay for technical jobs, compared to local software companies.

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees better. Invest in people, not software. Stop chasing cheaper labor overseas. Invest more time in optimizing the pipeline and you'll save more money than cutting corners with your people.

7. Good technology people

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was there for three years about ten years ago, and worked in the R&D group in Glendale. There were some extremely strong software engineers there, and they were a pleasure to work with. Many of us are at Google now. The physical surroundings and compensation were good.

Cons

A real NIH attitude towards all software, possibly stemming from the PDI staff having been present way back when every pixel cost ten thousand dollars. I remember looking at header files from the 80s.

Also, not a software company, so engineering was "overhead" instead of "profit center." This may have changed more recently.

If you truly love high-end computer graphics, though, this was a destination job and may still be.

Advice to Management

Leverage the technical staff better by re-inventing fewer wheels. If AutoDesk or The Foundry sells a product that does the same thing, negotiate a source code license and stop funding big teams to write the in-house version.

8. Nice place to work! Opportunities Limited!

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time

Pros

Good place to gain valuable entertainment experience and enjoy a beautiful campus with great perks.

Cons

Salary is under the industry average. The company is small so it's hard to grow into other positions.

9. Music Manager

Former Employee - Music Department Manager in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Music Department Manager in Glendale, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great perks and work life balance. Creative environment with brightest and most down to earth people in the industry.

Cons

Pace can be slightly slow at times. Isolated campus with very little within the vicinity.

No such thing as a free lunch!

Former Employee - Senior-level Management in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior-level Management in Glendale, CA

I worked at DreamWorks Animation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

To get the free lunch, you'll need to pay in other ways, like having a micro-managing boss who has a micro-managing boss who reports into the micro-manager senior executives. For all the soda and spa water you can drink in a day, you'll need to give up your personal satisfaction, your sense of self-worth and self-confidence, and listen to people tell you that you don't know how to do your job, even if you'd been doing it for 20 years. And those ARE the "pros."

Cons

The cons: Lack of visibility into how the company operates, with a bloated senior-executive team that is often wandering around looking for people to pick on and work to do. So many company functions are duplicated over and over with no desire to streamline this because of the egos involved at the top. This is NOT a company fueled by storytelling and imagination, it's a company ruled by fear of shareholders, an obsessive monitoring of the stock price, and people who are so anxious, stressed and unhappy that the mood rubs off on EVERYONE in a relatively short amount of time. I don't know a single person who is not actively trying to leave.

Advice to Management

Give some recognition and acknowledgment to your teams. YOU'RE not doing the actual work, they are. And just because you're getting $4 million a year doesn't mean you understand what makes a story work or how to build a relevant marketing campaign. The good people and their excellent, forward-thinking ideas are routinely ignored in favor of managing through a small, close-knit cabal of executives who all have some previous relationship to one another. Stop insisting that your artists do more with so much less, stop trying to make yourself into a multi-media company and just focus on making great animated features. That part hasn't even been perfected yet! Get THAT right, and then there will be a reason to have a bigger company.

Never Knew Work Could Be This Magical

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Glendale, CA

I have been working at DreamWorks Animation

Pros

I LOVE it here. The community is so caring and vibrant. Commissary, superb! Mail room is the best, AV team is out of this world. Company culture is something I never thought possible. The campus is insanely gorgeous, fountains everywhere, people cleaning every inch constantly.. Dr/nurse on site, free yoga classes and weight watchers. Movie nights, countless parties and celebrations - we celebrate everything! It's such an uplifting place to work and I'm so thankful to be part of it!!!!!

Cons

Can't think of anything, they seem to take care of problems as they come..

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging creativity. Keep taking advice to continue making this place better. I've never worked somewhere they WANT to hear from us and make us happy. It's an amazing environment.

RSS Feed </> Embed