Dreamkind

Updated July 16, 2014
Updated July 16, 2014
3.8

Jay Schiffman

Good Experience, no room to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Dreamkind as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

fun projects, great boss, input is highly appreciated

Cons

mostly only offer temporary internships, very rare to get offered a permanent position

Don't know if you still only offer internships, but it's time to start offering real positions.

A Good Company to Grow With

Current Employee - Producer in Englewood, NJ
    Current Employee - Producer in Englewood, NJ

I have been working at Dreamkind full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dreamkind gave me my start and I have been able to grow with the company in the past two years I have worked here. I started as an intern and worked my way up to a producer. There are a lot of opportunities for people just starting out. We have a fun work environment with a great group of people that make even the roughest days seem better. We work collaboratively on projects and every opinion matters. Although we are a small company, but we get to do big things and work on amazing projects on a daily basis.

Cons

The office is small, but there are plans to move in the coming months. Hours can sometimes be long, but it is to be expected when working in this industry.

Keep the office dynamic light and fun. Being too strict or argumentative just causes unneeded stress.

Exploited to the very last day.

Former Employee - Intern in Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Englewood, NJ

I worked at Dreamkind as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lax environment I suppose. The people were nice enough. The place didn't smell. Alright hours.

Cons

I was brought on as an intern, but I might as well have been a lead artist, we were treated as such. We had no guidance whatsoever, we were just expected to come in and do what was assigned to us. Granted, I taught myself a bunch of skills during my internship, but I didn't actually learn anything from it. I was paid very little and required to do a lot. Company events were mandatory, even if you lived 2 hours away.

In my 4 months interning, I only saw one person get hired: a marketer. All they were interested in was quick money, they didn't care about quality. It was essentially an intern factory, the turnover was ridiculous.

Stop managing. Get some values. Treat people as people, and not as free money earners. You kept saying things like you wanted us to "love" working there and put our all into it and that money isn't everything. Stop fooling yourself. If you stopped pocketing the profits and actually paid your employees, we might have enjoyed working there.

Dreamkind is a dynamic environment, with a lot of learning and lot of upside potential.

Current Employee - Programmer in Englewood, NJ
    Current Employee - Programmer in Englewood, NJ

I have been working at Dreamkind full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is my third job in many years of work. Dreamkind is the best place I’ve ever worked. Leadership is great – very involved in helping you grow. Colleagues all really cool. Work on apps and games. Couldn’t really ask for a better job in terms of quality of work.

Cons

They are growing in terms of employees and are moving soon, but need more space. Everyone is nice, so its fine, but I think things will improve when we move into new space early next year.

Move sooner. Hire less people until we move.

High employee turnover should speak for itself.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, NJ

I have been working at Dreamkind

Pros

It's something you can put on your resume. It's easy to work remotely, as long as you deliver results. People here generally put on a sincere facade of being decent, easy going people. If you have a good idea, it will always be considered. But you find these things anywhere.

Cons

Compensation is very low. Benefits/Health Insurance packages are nonexistent. (if you get carpal tunnel, you're gone.) Management is so exploitative in its use of interns to the point that the organization is accustomed to not paying people well.

Stop lying to clients. They'd appreciate it if you're honest about the progress of their projects. You'd have more consistent products if you didn't have such high turnover. You wouldn't have such high turnover if you paid people in real money and stopped using interns for almost everything. If you can't afford it, then do some other type of compensation. Consider offering a percentage of the company's revenue.

Good staff, exciting projects

I worked at Dreamkind

Pros

Dreamkind is a really good place to work. I worked there for a bunch of years. The artists/programmers are a talented and creative group of people. Management is very relaxed and forthright. You get to work with some great clients, so it looks impressive on a resume. They are in NJ, though, and the commute is pretty hard if you were someone like me coming from Brooklyn.

Cons

They are pet friendly, which is cool for most people, but not me. Again, commuting from Brooklyn or Queens is tough.

Besides their animal policy (and they should move to NYC), I would recommend more happy hours, formal brainstorms, game sessions and social things. These were really fun and productive, but we should have done it more often.