Dress Barn

Dress Barn Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe

David R. Jaffe

Pros:
  • "You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance"
    in 10 reviews
  • "40% discount on regular price merchandise"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Pushed too hard to make sales goals without the incentive of commission"
    in 8 reviews
  • "if you want upper management it's harder to get into"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A company that wants to show they care, but is held back by a corporate structure.

ProsThe small staffs at the individual stores mean your voice is more likely to be heard by management. The hours can be flexible and you can form relationships more easily with coworkers.

ConsManagement is not always competent enough to foster mutually beneficial relationships with each team member and a corporate focus on cost-cutting means lower quality products for the customers.

No opportunities for advancement

New York, NY

Pros40% discount on regular price merchandise! free layaway for employees

ConsNo opportunity for advancement, very little coverage only 2 people working at a time, unrealistic sales goals set by the company, massive payroll and budget cuts, micromanagement by district manager, stores running over a year without a store manager to save payroll, corporate realigning the districts and eliminating positions to give less people more work, many field positions being eliminated while new people were constantly hired in the corporate office, corporate wanting stores to extend hours during the holiday season without an increase in payroll hours, price conscious clientele who want everything on sale plus a coupon discount

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within instead of hiring outsiders always.

Ok for a rebound job or something while going to school.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, not too stressful depending on your management, easy to get hired.

ConsEntry level sales job with not a lot of opportunity for growth unless you want to pitch sales for the rest of your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more collaborative and flexible.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you really want to work retail, look somewhere else.

Woodbury, MN

ProsFlexible schedule. Nice customers and co-workers.

ConsToo many. Manager was out for 6 month with health issues. As a team we thought we did pretty well, Eventually our manager came back and not only did we get to hear how poorly we did from her, also from our DM. She made up poor performance issues about us, had nothing to back it up. Just her opinion. It didn't make sense because she was gone for 6 months. Dress Barn never called us to see if we could use another manager. It is so poorly run. I've worked retail for many years and I have never had this bad of an experience. Quality of product is very bad. Management is always fearful of upper management. I'm amazed how many times I heard "I cant say anything, I will get fired"

Advice to Senior ManagementPut money into your employees, stores, and products..

Great for at least 10 years!! I love retail and had been in retail management for at 25 years before going to DB.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe customers were wonderful . It was so refreshing to have your established customers come in each week. It was even more refreshing to receive their compliments after your service.
    The benefits were about what was expected in any Retail business. Vacations, sick days, choices days were average. My advise to anyone who works at DB or plan to do so, DO NOT BANK YOUR SICK DAYS .IF and when you decide to leave, all will be lost, you will receive 0
    for all the days you could have taken when you were sick or just needed a break from all the
    crap that is dished out every day.

ConsBeware of your co-workers, To take a step ahead of you, they can and will do anything, even down to lying. Remember the DSM and RSM are not your friends. They have another associate that will carry any thing that is untrue to the DSM . I was told after 13 years that my personality was to strong only because I would not stand in a corner and bad-mouth to the DSM about other people.I love to work and I gave 125 percent to the company, when they wanted me and the SM gone , the company took the lies and ran with it. As you may assume , we were older women. I let you bet the judge. I gave my letter of resignation because I would not let any one fire me without a chance to speak for myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementA letter was mailed to HR and I spoke to them personally. It really did't matter. Our wages had exceeded what they thought we were worth. Younger and inexperienced would take less pay and our positions. My advise to upper management is to take a good hard look when a decision is made like this. Many of the more mature people think and work a lot harder. We also give a lot of ourselves to a company. Do I regret this? No, I know my true self. I do hope the people who did me wrong and gave untrue facts will someday have the same happy to them.

Best Company I have Ever Worked For

Suffern, NY

ProsDress Barn is an amazing company to work for. Executive Leadership understands that we are accountable, responsible people who work hard, AND that we all have many life priorities to juggle. The company is very committed to a "total wellness" philosophy and invests in programs to support personal as well as professional development. From our CEO, David Jaffe, on down, they (we) believe that "a better YOU makes a better DRESSBARN!"

ConsIf you live in NYC, is not an easy commute to Suffern, but we are moving to Mahwah, NJ and will have some sort of shuttle service that helps associates with the commute.

Everything's great, but that credit card

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

Pros* Get merchandise when winning a contest.
    * Training is pretty thorough (depending on the management team)
    * Health Insurance was nice.
    * No commission.
    * Credit cards can be paid off with cash, check, or major credit card (which helped me sell cards)

ConsToo much emphasis on the credit card. This leads to shady practices inside the store (like giving extra discounts, calling friends on the phone and running their information via phone- which is ILLEGAL)! You could have top sales in the company, but if you didn't meet the percentage goal- hell was raised. People do not want credit cards! Merchandise isn't fresh, styles repeating each year. Lunch breaks are too short and often you do not get one since two people must be in the store and on the floor at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe training programs for employees interested in becoming store managers? I understand credit cards are important for the bottom line, but there is too much emphasis on it. Why doesn't David R. Jaffe come down to the worse performing stores and spend a week trying to sell the credit card?

Dress Barn

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Rochester Hills, MI

Prosflexible schedule, meeting nice people, great way to serve the community,

Conslow starting pay, short lunch hours, everyone is considered part-time unless they are going into management.

Advice to Senior Managementgive a 45 minute lunch time, provide more benefits (people need tangible things like paid vacation time, health care, etc. Not everyone who needs full-time hours wants/needs to be management.

A day AA

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe customers are fabulous, the fast pace is exciting, the merchandise is good quality for the price with a generous employee discount.

ConsThe management team needs a little work on breaking their old molds of an individual selling environment and need better training on how to be effective leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a strong work ethic but they need better training on how to be effective leaders.

As a Software Developer it was an 'OK' place to work but I couldn't see it as a safe place to work

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Suffern, NY

ProsGreat staff, very friendly. Benefits are ok, cafeteria on the premises and there were activities oriented towards maintaining/improving staff morale.

ConsManagement has a very colloquial attitude. They feel they are far enough from NYC to offer employment locally that was not available outside the city. That may be true for the Buyers and clothing designers but not for those in IT. IT is seen as an expense and is treated as such. The IT staff that had stayed a long time were local people so management may be right. It wasn't a good place for me, however. I was commuting a long distance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager had poor management skills. Apparently he was a good programmer. You need to provide training for managers whom have no training.

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dress Barn reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dress Barn CEO David R. Jaffe. All 150 reviews posted anonymously by Dress Barn employees.