Dress Barn Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
3.5

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe
David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• It seems as if they have great company values, and you can't beat a 40% discount (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees (in 10 reviews)

• District managers are too busy to know what goes on in store or provide help (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great culture!

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Teamwork, collaboration and a strategic vision for the future.

Cons

Office is located in a beautiful campus outside of NYC that is a challenge to commute to with public transportation.

Excellent company to work for!!!!

Former Employee - Store Leader in Minot, ND
    Former Employee - Store Leader in Minot, ND

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company's as excellent team building values and puts the customer first!
    The company is a developer of people and they want to help advance. I was able to become a better manager because of the company because they truly value the employee.

Cons

Hours, in this location you will work almost every Saturday.

Company that cares about its employees!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lee, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lee, MA

I have been working at Dress Barn (more than an year)

Pros

-support from management
    -fun environment
    -not bogged down with goals and quotas to meet, allowing us to just take care of our customers

Cons

-its retail, so nights and weekends are a must, but you find that at every retailer
    -my face sometimes hurts at end of the day from smiling and laughing so much

Thanks for listening to us worker bees and giving us a great work-life balance!

Best company to work for.

Current Employee - Store Leader in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Store Leader in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They care about their customers and their employees. Benefits are great, work-life balance is great.

Cons

right now I don't see any cons.

Been training for a week... a lot to learn, a lot to do.

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It seems as if they have great company values, and you can't beat a 40% discount. Also, my other co-workers seem nice.

Cons

There is a lot to do; too much to do. You can't focus on building relationships with your customers, when there's other stuff you're required to do.

Change the nightly recap stories to a weekly basis. Weekly reviews for associates aren't necessary either, change that to monthly reviews.

Good work/home life balance

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Laurel, MD

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Was welcomed as family as soon as I began working for DB. I have a 9month old baby and management has always been very accommodating with time off and scheduling. Training was not very strenuous and in no time I felt like I had all the knowledge and tools to help our women clientele look and feel beautiful. The highlight of my work days is creating floor displays, I am allowed to express my creativity while still adhering to company's standards.

Cons

Pay sucks at 8.50/hour and there is little to no room for advancement. Stores are allowed to have 1 manager and 3 assistant managers, if positions are filled you pretty much are stuck as an associate until someone quits or relocates. Some management has been there 15years

Heavy Load of Task Work, Very Little Selling

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time (less than an year)

Pros

management understands when you need certain days off, great co-workers, fun clothes, great discounts and loved that the company trusts associates to make their own decisions as far as 'breaking certain rules' to help impress customers. Family-like environment, awesome clothes.

Cons

management thoroughly enjoys not being on the same page and so work gets confusing, you bust your butt off working way above and beyond other associates and still have to work this hard for just above minimum wage regardless of your proved skills, education, experience, etc... I've been here for over 5 months with impressive and proven abilities and the company sees no interest in promoting a fashion marketing major to a manager, even though they need one, no matter how hard I work. Very short hours so if you get a 20 hour week you're working 5 days a week and most times they're so busy you don't even get a break. If you love to sell and put outfits together, go somewhere else. This is all folding, steaming, cleaning, freight, putting an ungodly amounts of clothes back on the floor. Don't ever expect to leave your shift on time. The demands that need to be met for the pay is ridiculous.

if someone has 3 years of experience in high-end retail with proven stats and has a solid education in this department, pay them more than $8.00/hr. Don't be afraid to give real raises to those associates who go above and beyond because what starts off as a fun and promising job leaves us discouraged and feeling used. Don't take advantage of associates that really care about their work because that's what keeps your store open. Make sure your lower management is on the same page and doesn't show favorites and divides work load equally and don't hire slackers.

Awesome place of employment

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great benefits for full time employees. Everyday you help someone feel good about themselves and you get to dress's them up in what fits there body style! Its eye opening and a lot of fun!

Cons

Working Sundays and no benefits for part time rmployess.

Keep up the good work.

Fun & Easy

I worked at Dress Barn

Pros

Great people and good atmosphere

Cons

Low pay and sometimes crabby customers

Nothing

This is a heart job with benefits

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Dress Barn part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, Family atmosphere, support from staff and management, helping others feel and look their best.

Cons

lack of financial support toward educational growth for employees and some difficulties with receiving work schedule within a reasonable time frame.

Need more support with educational growth for employees.