Dress Barn

Updated August 19, 2014

3.5

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe
David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• 40% discount on regular price merchandise (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees (in 9 reviews)

• Pushed too hard to make sales goals without the incentive of commission (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with the typical flaws

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Full time employees have a great benefit program. Support from the home office is exceptional. Promotions are not easy, due to availability. Company strives on encouraging work life balance. Great discount on purchases. We spend time with the customer offering ideas and fashion advice. It can be a most satisfying experience when she leaves bouncing out the door with a big smile

Cons

Would like to see a better rate of pay. Never enough hours to schedule properly. High demands on executing floor moves and changes. Do see some preferential treatment of employees occasionally
    Overall a great work environment

Often there are not enough hours in a day to get all the tasking done with 2 part coverage.

Great work, good people, decent company

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

Pros

Dressbarn has a warm and friendly environment. The associates are not on individual sales goals, so there isn't the stress of commission or competition.

Cons

Sometimes, actually most the time, the company stands up for the customer not you in situations. They will appease the customer with coupons even if the issue was because of a policy problem.

Back up your employees.

very customer service savvy.

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

Pros

When it comes to my personal growth with this company I definitely learned how to improve my leadership skills as well as my knowledge of the business world. I also learned more about communication with my teammates and was happy with the experience. The only thing I had issue with might've been the base pay. First starting at a minimum of 9.23 an hour I struggled to make enough for myself but now that it's higher I don't feel that strain as much.

Cons

Very happy people to work with. I always loved the work environment. They are very clean, always professional and forgiving if you have school or other obligations like children. Sometimes it's harder to get time-off but give them a few weeks notice in advance and there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Sometimes a lack of communication with Management but if you are not afraid to make your issues known to them the smiles, good times, and even perks are endless.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent company to get your first merchandising experience

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Mahwah, NJ

Pros

Good benefits, summer Fridays, fitness center, shares in stock potential to make some bonus, but at least it's something.

Cons

Merchandising positions only open up when someone leaves, promotion is very slow/hard to attain.

25 cents an hour increase for a $50K goal they set on me

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Employee discounts on their products,25% off. Sales training provided.9AM start to 2PM is a good time.

Cons

They made us dress nice for 25 cents an hour increase per year. Lunch break you are not allowed to go out. 10PM closing on some days. No insurance for plain associates, only junior management.

I left because we were not truly compensated for goals set on us. I got a job now that pays 1-2 dollars a year, with benefits and career growth.

Not very professional management

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  North Port, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Port, FL

Pros

Discount, and having to leave three words, nothing else. Maybe it will get better....who knows...nice customers and for the most part, nice coworkers. There is always that one.....management won't deal with.

Cons

Management, Janitor work. Cleaning everything from windows, mirrors, floors and toilets. Not a lot of training. Customers are nice. You move around the store because corporate asked....only to get management to come in and rearrange it. Makes you feel your work is for nothing. Sometimes your not even selling because your to busy cleaning. Some Coworkers steal your sales or never help with the back breaking work. And lunch breaks are 10 minutes in the back room, because never a third person to help cover. So, two people to run register, watch door, hang stock, watch dressing room, wait on customers and clean......

Listen to employees, Think about a real lunch break, don't ask us to move something when it's never up to your standards. More team work, that goes for everyone! Not just a chosen few. Maybe alternate weekends so we can spend a whole weekend with family. We don't make much money, and little hours for ones who want them. Everyone is part time except management. Maybe give us something for our work. Sure a discount, but really, we only wear them at work.

Great culture!

Pros

Good discount, family oriented, work-life balance is important to them.

Cons

Training wasn't the greatest in the beginning but has improved.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Norwood, MA

Pros

Small staff at the retail stores which allowed upper management to have quality time in direction and assistance. DM made sure to have daily contact with each store manager. There was consistent recognition for successes.

Cons

Upward mobility was difficult from the store manager level, as openings were few due to "long term" persons already filling any positions.

No advice except to keep on doing what you're doing!

Good place

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dallas, TX

Pros

Friendly environment usually pretty busy i don't have very many complaints it was a nice place to work i would suggest it

Cons

I was a part time employee it was my first job so i didnt have high expectations i just needed some cash

Good job

A good, personable company to work for

Current Employee - Pt Sales  in  Waldorf, MD
    Current Employee - Pt Sales in Waldorf, MD

Pros

This company is really focused on making a woman feel at home and beautiful. For example, we put the customer's name on their fitting room door. All of my co-workers have been great. Overall, a great company.

Cons

As a college student working here in the summer (after nearly a year working here prior), it was pretty hard to get hours mid-way and late in the summer. The shifts for PT people tend to be very short- maybe 5 hours.

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!