Dress Barn Reviews

Reset
1.0
Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe
David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • The work life balance is pretty good since they will do their best to give you the days off that you request (in 15 reviews)

• The employee discount is also generous (40%) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • if you want upper management it's harder to get into (in 10 reviews)

• I was a part time employee it was my first job so i didnt have high expectations i just needed some cash (in 9 reviews)

Dress Barn- worst place to work

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mahwah, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mahwah, NJ

I worked at Dress Barn (More than a year)

Pros

there are none. not at all

Cons

Dress Barn is cheap and work their employees like slaves. They practice bullying, dishonesty, character assassination by ruining honest hardworking people.

Not Great --- Wish It Had Been Better

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

Good discount; Easy open and close procedures; IT very helpful; Good marketing strategies.

Cons

I read great things about working for this company. I am sure that my "not such a good experience", was more localized. Too much drama and back-stabbing at my store. No emphasis on helping customers --- mostly lip service. I was told that making our monetary goal was not so important. I had customers pull me aside almost weekly thanking me for my help and saying they've never received much service at Dressbarn (not just my store). Way too much tasking with such little payroll. Some of that needed to be pulled off the sales floor..........but, my suggestions weren't welcome (at least, not to my face. After I left I heard some were being used). I was reprimanded for waiting on customers too much (& I can usually juggle many customers at once); and having a "game plan" and not letting an Associate do whatever she wanted........(hmmm, that's part of my job in most placed). It goes on & on. I had been told I would be working with an inexperienced group going into this. I really felt my peers were spending too much time digging for (and manufacturing in some cases) faults in me to make themselves look better. That seemed to be the environment from the start. Would have a hard time trusting those who hired me, again.

Advice to Management

Hire professionals and not so many inexperienced people in management. Look into allegations. Maybe try to be fair.

3. Horrible Management

Pros

The customers were usually nice and it was fun to work in fashion. The store was pretty and unique to the area.

Cons

The management was horrible. They were never satisfied with any of the sales made by their employees. They always screwed up hours. They expected us to sale a certain percent, but refused to give us commission.

Advice to Management

Stop being so rude.

5. No work life balance like they promise

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discounts if you like their clothes

Cons

Awful, poor management, no structure. Drama!!!!! Unable to keep staff, run very poorly. All the managers do is talk on the phone, never help customers!!!

Advice to Management

pay attention to your business!!!!

6. Perfect stepping stone for entry level fashion merch majors

Current Employee - Assisatant Buyer in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Assisatant Buyer in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kind good people to work with, casual environment, suburban, beautiful building

Cons

Miscommunication, no opportunity to grow, below standard salaries, unvalued for your work

Hostile work environment

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice employee discount and was a great place to work years ago

Cons

Worked in company 6 years with a proven track record for sales and a new district supervisor that didn't like me , tracked my every word and documented it and added lies and that was enough to terminate me after 6 years

The worst experience of my life.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Has clothing for all women of all shapes and sizes!

Cons

District Manager aligned herself with Assistant managers instead of creating strong bond with the store mgr. I was spoken to in a very degrading manner. District Manager would not communicate with me regularly. I was unfairly written up and her facts were incorrect. Human Resources did nothing.

Advice to Management

Development of Store managers. That is your job! Less criticism. Stop the backstabbing!

Never again...

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Monroe, LA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Monroe, LA

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid training. The customers are great.

Cons

Everything else. I was apart of the management team and I was on the brink of becoming suicidal. The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees. The HR department is run by a pack of monkeys and the pay is nowhere close to the demand, stress, and drama you have to endure to get at 35% discount on clothes that will tear after one wash.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and rebuild.

Not a company that follows through on intent

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Clothing discount. Right intent but lack of follow-through.

Cons

Very reactionary culture. Not strategic or long-term thinking and not able to differentiate versus competitors. Hires people with experience and then stifles them by not giving them room to run. Long term employees not highly valued and can be easily replaced depending on senior executive changes and them wanting to bring in their own people, regardless of the merits of the long-term employee.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Show employees you really care about their well-being instead of this being empty words.

Store Leader set the tone

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Dress Barn full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discounts are awesome. I enjoyed my co-workers. They were friendly and hard working. They offer great medical benefits and other benefits along with vacation

Cons

The Store Leader ran a punitive, police state where we were encouraged to look for infractions committed by others, correct them and then report them verbally and then by documentation. It did not matter if they were tying a garbage bag wrong it was documented. Everyone walked on egg shells. Everyone was "equal" which resulted in everyone thinking they were in charge. We were instructed to interrogate customers with returns and to "stand your ground" rather than "surprise and delight". I was told my attire wasn't appropriate (all dressbarn clothes), my makeup needed to be reapplied several times per day, and that I needed to dye my hair. I do not need to be told in an insulting way that suddenly I don't know how to groom myself. We sweat our butts off climbing ladders, cleaning toilets, hauling garbage, mopping floors, unpacking stock, cleaning vents, changing light bulbs, rearranging tables, displays, signs, floor sets and then be expected to look like we walked off the cover of Vogue Magazine while providing superior customer service. Half of the time schedules were not distributed in a timely fashion which allowed no balance of work/family as planning time off was nearly impossible, especially for part timers. Money was the bottom line at this store and lean scheduling made breaks almost non existent. Rules changed constantly and what was right yesterday was no longer correct today. We were overworked and brow beaten. We were questioned about everything. "Why is our employee discount pecent average for this store so low?" We are offered a discount and then are questioned like criminals when we use it? The store leader threw clothes at us, threatened us, made us cry. The store key felt like a noose around my neck everyday. Complaints were made by myself and others. One person was fired. No one dared complain anymore. Things would get better for a time and then fall right back. All the anonymous employee surveys, all the coaching and feedback was a big joke. No one gave an honest critique because they were afraid. There is no anonymity when you have to sign in with your employee number. As long as the bottom line was black it seemed nobody cared. The day I placed my keys in the drawer after my shift and walked out, was the biggest relief of my life.

Advice to Management

Take off your rose colored glasses

RSS Feed </> Embed