Dress Barn

Dress Barn Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe

David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• 40% discount on regular price merchandise (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees (in 9 reviews)

• Pushed too hard to make sales goals without the incentive of commission (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great culture!

ProsGood discount, family oriented, work-life balance is important to them.

ConsTraining wasn't the greatest in the beginning but has improved.

Im in training for management..I started from the bottom.

Management Training (Current Employee) Ocean City, MD

ProsI enjoy my manager and co workers. Good company Good company discount.. good family values. I like my career with Dress Barn.

ConsMaybe an extra break when working 8 hours like 10 min plus your half hr lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrainning of management pay like at least $9.50 an hr . And extra hours for Floor moves .

Honest and True Family

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsLike any retail job, it depends on your manager. If your manager is a competent worker and same her bosses, then life at DressBarn is pretty great. It's a company that recognizes hard work and is quick to promote from within.

ConsDealing with the public honestly is the worst part. And if you have a bad manager, then things will be harder for all workers involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementDM's need to stay in more constant contact with store managers. An example is if several employee's have a complaint very similar about a SM, then you should investigate and NOT say who you heard these things from. It's puts everyone in a bad position.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Vernon Hills, IL

ProsRelationships, contact with new people, developing, opportunities for grow up.

Conslearning new methods, new programs...

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Fun job and loved my staff.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Boise, ID

ProsGreat benefits, fun atmosphere and they really try to make employees feel appreciated.

Conswhen you worked an 8 hour day plus you only got a half hour lunch break and they have really low staffing so its hard to accomplish what you need to do each day.

Husband's job forced me to leave dressbarn and wow do I miss it!

Training Store Leader (Former Employee) Georgetown, TX

ProsHead of Stores Gil will tell you store leaders are them most important people in the company and he means it and it shows! You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance. Comparable pay with new bonus program based on store profitability should be great. Discount is great! Opportunity through company webinars for self improvement and professional growth. District and Regional leaders truly care about their teams.

ConsGreat merchandise sells quickly and replen is slow but getting better. Shoe buyers need to keep shoes coming into stores quicker. Warm weather stores need sandals! Online returns should not come off of store sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. I saw so many improvements in the last couple years.

Amazing culture!

ProsDressbarn is a hidden gem. I knew it was a good company before I started working here but I had no idea HOW good! The company is very focused on doing right by its employees and wellness is very important here. Having the founders still so involved makes it feel like a small family business rather than a billion dollar corporation. We're very strong financially, rare in retail these days. And the new HQ building is beautiful!

ConsOccasionally, not everyone is on the same page, but this is usually remedied fairly quickly. Budgets are tight, but that's happening everywhere and we wouldn't be so financially solid without that control.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture growing!

Best Employment Experience of My Career

Director Level, Home Office (Current Employee) Mahwah, NJ

ProsWow, where to begin...

I guess the most unique aspect of our organization is the 'human-ness'. From our founders, Mr. and Mrs. J, to our entire Executive Team, to our entry-level associates, there is a level of humility that is innate to who we are as a company. It is this humbleness that helps shape our culture. From work-life balance (when we ask associates to travel to a company meeting, we ensure that we allow for travel to take place on a week-day, and not infringe on their weekend/family time), to growth and development (we have an incredible curriculum of classes and tools that help our associates be better at what they do -- and, we ENCOURAGE people to take the time to focus on their development!), to our overall focus on 'total wellness' (we have a beautiful fitness center in our Home Office that is free for our HO associates to use, and we ENCOURAGE IT - even during 'work hours'!)

Even if there are 'tough' business decisions to be made, we do so through a filter of "What is the RIGHT THING TO DO?" Truly, I have never seen anything like it. I feel like I have hit the career lottery! Of course, I love my role and the people I work with. I also believe in all our strategies to grow the brand and the company. We have amazing leadership who respect each other and seem to have genuine 'affection' for each other. To get to see and work under the direction of an executive team like this once in a lifetime is a rare privilege.

ConsThere is much work to be done! So it can be an intense pace (fortunately, we can blow off steam or work out some stress at our Smartlife Fitness Center any time).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I hope that our stores can feel what we feel here in our home office. And if we can accomplish that, our cutomers will surely feel it!

Store LEADER!

Store Leader (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsCompany culture is amazing! EVERYONE has a voice. Great atmosphere across the board. Best job I have ever had in retail. The low turnover is because it's such an amazing company NO ONE leaves.

ConsNot as savvy with technology. Lots of struggle with hiring/training programs being current and updated. If you are embracing the brand rebrand all material at once to be consistent,good bye pink!

Advice to Senior ManagementResearch and test some more efficient tools to support your stores. Kenexa is pure evil! Update training materials before the store opening season begins.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good Company

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Wheaton, IL

ProsThey care, and are always trying to make things better for employees

ConsInconsistent from store to store

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being Caring it does get noticed. Glad you have made the changes you are making in the stores.

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!