Dress Barn Reviews

Reset
3.6
Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe
David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • The work life balance is pretty good since they will do their best to give you the days off that you request (in 15 reviews)

• The employee discount is also generous (40%) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • if you want upper management it's harder to get into (in 10 reviews)

• I was a part time employee it was my first job so i didnt have high expectations i just needed some cash (in 9 reviews)

1. It is all about the business.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

The primary incentive to work at the dressbarn is the generous employee discount (40% off of regular priced merchandise and 20% off of clearance merchandise).

Cons

There is absolutley no balance between work and family life. You are expected to give them 100% of your time. The store manager, on the other hand, is rarely around. Every single floor move and visual update is left to the ASM. The distribution of work is not fair. They put incredible pressure on their employees and the deadlines are unrealistic.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a re-evaluation of their Steps 2 Selling Philosophy. Also, the staff turnover rate is unacceptable. If you start treating your employees with some respect, then you will retain them.

What a Joke

Current Employee - ???? in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - ???? in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Great co-workers and good discount

Cons

Unrealistic goals in sales and charges. And i dont understand why theres such a thing called CHARGE SCHOOL!!! its the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard of why punish us for something we are trying to work hard at and help you the Store Managers Again this company is a joke.

Advice to Management

Stop talking down to assistant managers you say you want to better employees but all your doing is hurting peoples feelings i dont understand why its necessary to talk badly to your fellow employees their trying to help you. Its obvious that dress barn is a joke. And also to all higher ups i dont get you all you care about is how you look and dont even notice anybody else besides managers and assistant managers im really disappointed in this company.

3. Dissatisfying

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Waukegan, IL

Pros

Working with people who can do their job

Cons

Poor Management, DSM not hirin right people

Lousy - would rather be a prostitute than ever work for Dress Barn-worse place to work in the world

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Anthem, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Anthem, AZ

Pros

None. There are NONE. Nothing positive whatsoever about Dress Barn. Management is rotten. Terrible. Horrible.

Cons

Low class managers/dirty tricks played with sales/coworkers steal your sales/constant pressure for sales per hr/items sold. Ruthless and biiter rivalry. Management encourages friction. Nothing you ever do will be good enough-great sales-get beat up for not opening credit cards-you must open credit cards or suffer horrific abuse. Just a really bad work environment. 100% turn over. Dress Barn likes it that way. The D.M. dressed like she was going to slop the pigs. No class. Lousy pay. They run these stupid contests where you are beat up hour after hour to like sell sweaters in 120 degrees. The only thing you get from the contest is like a candy bar or something stupid. Terrible-horrible-awful place to work-just terrible-cannot say enough bad things about the experience. No class. Just nasty.Oh and you have to keep your own records by using stick figures on a piece of paper - no efficient technology to use...you actualy have to use STICK FIGURES - my God.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like machines. The contests are stupid. You use people and throw them away. You have no respect for anyone. Plus your business model is so out of date. Archaic. You people are just louses in every sense of the word.

Don't question the SM's way of working with her AM or associates!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

40% discount on all regular priced items 20% discount on all clearance items The customers

Cons

The gossip among AM to the associates causing extreme prejudice Because of the individual sales goal, the associates and managers are constantly stealing each others sales. Everyone knows this without it being said, but when the AMs are telling this to the associates, what are the associates supposed to do? Steal back? That seems to be everyone's answer. I am the top seller in our store, but because I confronted my SM about this, my hours were significantly dropped. No more You Are A Star cards, no more thank yous for hard work done, no more recognition for an $800 Cathy sale, no mention of 9 credit cards in one week. I'm lucky even if she says hi to me now. I've been with DB for over two years, but instead of acting like the adults they all are, I feel like I'm back in high school again! I've already put my feelers out looking for work that actually involves adults!

Advice to Management

Just because a top store is being a top seller doesn't necessarily mean the DMs and RMs know what's really going on in the stores they manage. Talk to the AMs and the sales associates, privately, if you want the real truth of what's going on. A pretty smile doesn't always mean a pretty heart. People are afraid of losing their jobs if they say anything. I've already lost my hours.

Room for improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suffern, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suffern, NY

Pros

You can't beat the hours- 8:30-5:00! Don't have to commute into the city that's about it...

Cons

Terrible pay Nobody knows what tomorrow brings Don't turn your back on anybody, because that's where they'll stab you

Advice to Management

Look towards the future, but don't forget the past. The old regime must have done something right to have lasted this long. The new regime is in the process of messing it all up by losing sight of the core values- "Believe"? I think not...

worked at dress barn for 25 years

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

loved the people i worked with and loved helping the customers

Cons

the corperate pressure you hard to make your goals and charges, the pay sucks, and after you been their along time they terminate you, better not make a career out of dress barn

Advice to Management

treat your employees with respect, encourage them, tell them what they do righ, give raises

9. Totally childlike behavior at Dress Barn

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Gettysburg, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Gettysburg, PA

I worked at Dress Barn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I always liked the customers

Cons

Did not like the childlike behaviors between employees.

Advice to Management

Get some.

A Year Is Long Enough....

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Dress Barn part-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my experience, I've gotten a fairly generous associate discount (even if it makes things the price you'd pay at a competitor in my opinion), I love the Sales Girls I work with and oversee, and I've gotten more weekends off then I feel I would working at other retail stores.

Cons

I have three huge complaints that will end my employment with this company soon (In the next month to be exact) - 1. This is not an inspiring place to work. As a member of management, I feel like management bickers a lot within itself. If you work at a store where everyone gets along, then good for you but in my experience, no one has hardly ever gotten along at our dress barn. It becomes childish to listen to who doesn't like who and who is after who. There's been frequent clashes between management and sales girls because of this. 2. They like to nit pick. I have had comments since I was hired about my hair, clothing, and personal style even though I dress within the dress code. Their policies are vastly outdated regarding any of this. When I was hired, I had to read a book that actually told me how to wear my makeup and if I don't wear makeup, It gets brought up. Our store manager once instructed girls to look like they were "going on a date" When they came into work. . While they say less to me now than ever before about style, I find it hard to work for a company who's sense of style is just what they sell on the floor and even some of that, we aren't able to wear. I'd also like to say that it took me telling them very firmly to stop and that they were pushing boundaries to get them to do so. 3. New technology is slow to come by and ways of thinking don't keep up with current trends. There is only the "Dress-Barn" Way, when I entered as a member of management, I had numerous retail experience and thought i'd be a good fit for the position. It took months to learn that you're going to be dealing with outdated fixtures, plan o grams and walls that change every time you turn around, and clothing, that just follows random color stories and doesn't always make sense.

Advice to Management

Dress Barn could be a fantastic place to work but the reality is that it simply isn't. Members of the store barely get raises while store managers are frequently given luxury trips. There isn't enough requirement for a store manager to be held more responsible or work just as much as their assistants. I know the idea is that people won't abuse their power but the reality is, it happens. New technology is desperately needed. One scanner per store that just get rolled out this year isn't good enough. The store should not change in a constant effort to make it look new, the merchandise should change around the store. Posters should match seasons versus a current trend that you're promoting. Pieces that come in need to make sense with other pieces. Registers should not be located at the back of the store. Any Dressbarn within a mall should have sensors and not just when it gets to be a problem. Trends also need to be invented ! and original to set you apart. Younger shoppers, in my experience, only occasionally find a style that they like. Sometimes the trends we carry are old and have already been done to death by the time we get there. Prices are too high - if you can afford to give associates a hefty mark down, it tells me that you're marking things up too much to begin with. some of the quality of the merchandise doesn't match the price point. There should be a dress code, and i'm a firm believer that name tags should be brought back. Make everyone on the team look the same. Allow them to pop it with their own accessories but go to a uniformed look and I believe that the team feeling of behavior will follow. The biggest advice I'd like to give to management is bring in a retail consultant, not just someone that's familiar with Dress Barn but someone that works in the industry and is familiar with lots of different brands. Each individual Dress Barn is at the mercy of its managers and particularly, it's store managers. Some people I know have great experiences and love it. Their store is involved with community projects and they try very hard to have the right experience. If you get in a great store, treasure it. If you get in a horrible store, my advice to anyone reading this review is don't stick around for a year + thinking it's going to get better. At the end of the day, do what it is right by you. Even with small raises, it doesn't cancel out the dignity and appreciation that gets robbed by you to work in such a low morale company.

11. Place second guessing not true to their values, too bad.................

I have been working at Dress Barn (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was great place to think one could retire. Now just a place to go get by until find other gig. Not a place for long term so enjoy free coffee, tea, picnic and extra activities while you there. The people who built company to greatness are nearly all gone, will be up to the 'NEW' guard to bring back the glory that has been put aside collect dust.

Cons

Seems there are many power struggles, uncertainty going on that there is sense of distance, not what remembered years past. Change is good , only if true tried tested, all ad hoc theory being applied is less to be desired with no measureable results benefit company, employees and the customer one will feel affect of all the things see store now.

Advice to Management

Should ask what is my motivation, desired intention and determined result, How will decisions making help in long run and should we really look at try to do what we can to help become the NICHE leader we were once back again. Do not try be the other store on strip. Stick to true, tried & tested methods that have kept you even and above the pack. Now is not time to experiment, if you do so, create another store brand try all theory there. Please leave , bring back the way stores were, see the change stark comparison not good.

RSS Feed </> Embed