Dress Barn

Dress Barn Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe

David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance(in 12 reviews)

• 40% discount on regular price merchandise(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees(in 9 reviews)

• Pushed too hard to make sales goals without the incentive of commission(in 8 reviews)

Never again...

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Monroe, LA

ProsPaid training. The customers are great.

ConsEverything else. I was apart of the management team and I was on the brink of becoming suicidal. The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees. The HR department is run by a pack of monkeys and the pay is nowhere close to the demand, stress, and drama you have to endure to get at 35% discount on clothes that will tear after one wash.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone and rebuild.

Not a company that follows through on intent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClothing discount. Right intent but lack of follow-through.

ConsVery reactionary culture. Not strategic or long-term thinking and not able to differentiate versus competitors. Hires people with experience and then stifles them by not giving them room to run. Long term employees not highly valued and can be easily replaced depending on senior executive changes and them wanting to bring in their own people, regardless of the merits of the long-term employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example. Show employees you really care about their well-being instead of this being empty words.

Store Leader set the tone

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe discounts are awesome. I enjoyed my co-workers. They were friendly and hard working. They offer great medical benefits and other benefits along with vacation

ConsThe Store Leader ran a punitive, police state where we were encouraged to look for infractions committed by others, correct them and then report them verbally and then by documentation. It did not matter if they were tying a garbage bag wrong it was documented. Everyone walked on egg shells. Everyone was "equal" which resulted in everyone thinking they were in charge. We were instructed to interrogate customers with returns and to "stand your ground" rather than "surprise and delight".
    I was told my attire wasn't appropriate (all dressbarn clothes), my makeup needed to be reapplied several times per day, and that I needed to dye my hair. I do not need to be told in an insulting way that suddenly I don't know how to groom myself. We sweat our butts off climbing ladders, cleaning toilets, hauling garbage, mopping floors, unpacking stock, cleaning vents, changing light bulbs, rearranging tables, displays, signs, floor sets and then be expected to look like we walked off the cover of Vogue Magazine while providing superior customer service.
    Half of the time schedules were not distributed in a timely fashion which allowed no balance of work/family as planning time off was nearly impossible, especially for part timers. Money was the bottom line at this store and lean scheduling made breaks almost non existent.
    Rules changed constantly and what was right yesterday was no longer correct today. We were overworked and brow beaten. We were questioned about everything. "Why is our employee discount pecent average for this store so low?" We are offered a discount and then are questioned like criminals when we use it? The store leader threw clothes at us, threatened us, made us cry. The store key felt like a noose around my neck everyday. Complaints were made by myself and others. One person was fired. No one dared complain anymore. Things would get better for a time and then fall right back. All the anonymous employee surveys, all the coaching and feedback was a big joke. No one gave an honest critique because they were afraid. There is no anonymity when you have to sign in with your employee number. As long as the bottom line was black it seemed nobody cared. The day I placed my keys in the drawer after my shift and walked out, was the biggest relief of my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake off your rose colored glasses

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible place to work.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThere are no "pros" working at that store.

ConsLow paying retail job, managers playing favorites as usual. They need to stop pushing there employees to "sell" and lie to customers, Dress barn doesn't work on commission, so they need to relax or take a Xanax to calm down.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to stop the "favoritism" that goes on at Dressbarn.

Company Condones Workplace Bullying and or Harassment

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Long Island City, NY

ProsReceiving a paycheck and health/dental benefits. Store work hours

ConsDressbarn seems to discriminate younger women while the company has condoned bullying and harassment particularly within the long island NY district.. The stores are filled with 60 plus year old women that don't want to work, constantly complain and or use their employment as a social function to gossip and cause aggrevation to young talent they are intimidated by. Corporate needs to educate these older women that now there are NYS laws against workplace harassment and character defamation. As one can read, online feedback by many employees have shared very similar experiences. With no policy change there needs to be a class action lawsuit to get Dressbarn's to address and improve their work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should hire more intelligent store managers. Too many seem unqualified and ignorant and easily manipulated. Don't participate in baby gossip. Hire younger talent. My experience with the 65 year old women spent more time complaining than working. Way too much work for them to handle. They expect the younger employees to do their job and when you don't do their job as well they spend all their time getting paid trying to sabotage your job.

Working at Dress Barn

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe client are what made my day, because they always know how to put a smile on your face. In this company I really had a opportunity to learn how to develop relationships and seek out opportunity.

ConsOnce the Ascena Group took over I felt that the business took a dive. The directives that would come over email made no sense. You couldn't have a personal conversation with anyone without everyone else finding out. Upper management was the worst very unprofessional, we know way too much about their dysfunction personal lives

Advice to Senior ManagementSome would say that retail is retail and frankly that isn't true. Dress Barn was a company that believed in its employees and was one of the few that didn't really believe in high turn over. Then suddenly the company decides that it is time to get rid of the very people who helped to build its client base. Within a year Dress Barn began to layoff management, just to replace them with new managers that weren't qualified for the position. They changes the company structure once Ascena took over and no one understood what was expected. We went from making money and being happy. To losing money, clients and soon jobs. Those of us who were there for a long time were expected to train new managers that were in charge of us. One of which lacked the brain power to even understand a simple task let alone run a store and employees. She would come in to sit in the back while we took care of everything. They lost a lot of good people, I would never want to work under those conditions again.

No Support

Store Mnanger (Former Employee)

ProsThere is only one reason and that is the part time associates become your family! You do build great relationships with internal and external customers.

ConsIt depends on the upper management that you answer to. There are many in district and regional positions who do not support the stores. They can be fake and demanding of the management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO: visit stores and listen to what is really going on! Don't be believe the district and regional leaders!

It was a very pleasant work place. E had many returne customers, my co-workers were very helpful.

Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) Crystal, MN

ProsThe employee discounts were great! Working with the customers was a lot of fun. Helping them find pieces of clothing and making a couple of outfits out of two or three garments.

ConsScheduling the hours was difficult. Some weeks there were a lot of hours of work time and other weeks they were short.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecause of the part-time hours, there was no vacation time, no sick days, no paid time off.

Terrible Job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsI wish there was something positive to say but there really isnt. Honestly

ConsThis company sucks. Everything about it. The pay, greed for money, non business trained leaders. I wish there was something good I can say about this company, but unfortunately i cant. And when they say flexibility, they really mean unstable hours because they will slash your hours all the time. Save yourself the trouble. Really! I worked part-time and even that was stressful. I couldnt even stay for one year because of how stupid this job was.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease thake some sort of college business management course. I will really help shape your leadership skills. Dont make it obvious that you have favorites. Seriously!

it was good while it lasted

Store Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

Proscomapny doe have flex scheduling

Conslow pay,low raises, no incentives

Advice to Senior Managementget a grip on what you want to be

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!