Dress Barn

Dress Barn Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Dress Barn President, CEO, and Director David R. Jaffe

David R. Jaffe

Pros
  • You are empowered to run your store as your own, Great work/life balance(in 11 reviews)

• 40% discount on regular price merchandise(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees(in 9 reviews)

• Pushed too hard to make sales goals without the incentive of commission(in 8 reviews)

Great culture!

ProsGood discount, family oriented, work-life balance is important to them.

ConsTraining wasn't the greatest in the beginning but has improved.

Store Manager

Store Manager (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsSmall staff at the retail stores which allowed upper management to have quality time in direction and assistance. DM made sure to have daily contact with each store manager. There was consistent recognition for successes.

ConsUpward mobility was difficult from the store manager level, as openings were few due to "long term" persons already filling any positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice except to keep on doing what you're doing!

Great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLove the people, very friendly.

ConsSome employees are known to steal sales.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place

Cashier (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFriendly environment usually pretty busy i don't have very many complaints it was a nice place to work i would suggest it

ConsI was a part time employee it was my first job so i didnt have high expectations i just needed some cash

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job

A good, personable company to work for

Pt Sales (Current Employee) Waldorf, MD

ProsThis company is really focused on making a woman feel at home and beautiful. For example, we put the customer's name on their fitting room door. All of my co-workers have been great. Overall, a great company.

ConsAs a college student working here in the summer (after nearly a year working here prior), it was pretty hard to get hours mid-way and late in the summer. The shifts for PT people tend to be very short- maybe 5 hours.

Never again...

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Monroe, LA

ProsPaid training. The customers are great.

ConsEverything else. I was apart of the management team and I was on the brink of becoming suicidal. The upper management sucks and does not value any of the employees. The HR department is run by a pack of monkeys and the pay is nowhere close to the demand, stress, and drama you have to endure to get at 35% discount on clothes that will tear after one wash.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone and rebuild.

Overall a pleasant experience working for the company.

ProsThe flexibility, work life balance, a very laid back environment, and room to grow.

ConsThe pay, and hours.

Im in training for management..I started from the bottom.

Management Training (Current Employee) Ocean City, MD

ProsI enjoy my manager and co workers. Good company Good company discount.. good family values. I like my career with Dress Barn.

ConsMaybe an extra break when working 8 hours like 10 min plus your half hr lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrainning of management pay like at least $9.50 an hr . And extra hours for Floor moves .

Full Time Sales Associate

Pros40% discount on regular priced items

ConsThe pay is not good at all. It took me 5 years to get from $9 an hour to $10.20 an hour. The hours can be up and down. Since it's a smaller company other stores know what happens in other locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your sales associate. Do not view them as being replaceable.

Inspiring Career

Associate Store Leader/Store Leader (Current Employee)

ProsGreat relationships with team and customers. Career has afforded me a life of independence and self esteem.

ConsPhysicaly demanding. Weekends and holidays are busy retail times, so be prepared to adjust family celebrations etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways listen to associates, where there is smoke there is fire.

Worked for Dress Barn? Contribute to the Community!