Dresser Wayne Reviews

Reset
2.8
Neil H. Thomas

1. Good place to work

I worked at Dresser Wayne full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great engineers/developers - easy to work with. Very friendly, almost "family friendly" feel to place. Lots of people willing to answer quick questions even if they're in different departments. Nice campus, good benefits.

Cons

Currently some turnover due to a relatively large number of contractors working there. Wasn't that way when I started 15 years ago, just started 2-3 years ago. Hopefully they'll move away from this - convert contractors to full time or hire more full-time permanents.

Advice to Management

I would move away from using contractors so much in software/hardware engineering. I do like that Wayne brings in summer interns, though.

Alright if you are just starting out

Pros

If you are young and you want to try things you haven't done, it is good. If you are young and want a rich social life with your coworkers, it is good. If you are young and you want to work on short duration projects, it is good. Workload and hours are good for most people most of the time. Death marches happen, but not very often.

Cons

If you are young and you want to learn from experienced co-workers, not good. If you are more experienced and want to polish your skills, not good. If you are more experienced and want to have that knowledge respected, not good. If you don't like know-nothing, arrogant, manipulative project managers micro managing you, not good.

3. Terrible leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Dresser Wayne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people and products but other than that not much positive about working there. Benefits are pretty good with 401K match.

Cons

Most of the leadership is terrible and shift blame. The culture starts with CEO, his moody temperamental style creates an environment of paranoia. If you aren't a buddy of his then you are at risk.

Advice to Management

Not sure it would be heard or listened to.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Dresser Wayne full-time

Pros

My commute. There's really not much else I can say about this company. Since I have a 20 word minimum I will have to keep typing. Oh, they bought us Keurigs for the office last year. So, there's that.

Cons

Dysfunction Junction. I tolerated the management here for a few years. Yes the business folks seemed to be making all of the technical decisions, but once you got down to where you did your work, it was okay. Until ... GE. The new execs from GE started promoting people from within build up the org chart to acceptable GE-top-bloat. Unfortunately some of the people they promoted ... sigh. Bad, bad, bad choices. I have no trust or respect for the entire management structure of this company. The wrong people are making the technical decisions. The wrong people are given positions of trust and responsibility. Right now it is rats off a sinking ship. Ask any recruiter in the area and they know who's looking and where they are all coming from.

Advice to Management

There is no advice I could give to management. They would not listen to any advice given. That is the problem in a nut shell.

Structured environment, confusing tasks

I worked at Dresser Wayne full-time

Pros

While working here, I never worried about being let go. Also, their benefits (401K, insurance prices, PTO) are pretty good.

Cons

Teams seem to be running in circles. When individual contributors point out better ways to do things, they are shut down and "asked" to continue going down the same path.

Advice to Management

Listen to your teams. You are not the only one that has the ideas. Make sure you involve more people in major decisions.

Terribly managed company with a stifling, horrible culture.

Pros

Company has long history, and some interesting products. Ample parking...otherwise there's not a lot to recommend.

Cons

Pretty much everything. Look, a lot of the people at Wayne are nice individuals, but the culture from the top down is one of blame-shifting and favoritism - neither of which engenders team spirit. There are a couple of good leaders that stayed with the business after GE sold it, but the rest are more interested in protecting their positions and scrambling to satisfy the capricious whims of the comically out of touch CEO than in actually leading or developing their teams. Compensation is low, and incentives and raises are capped at a marginal rate for most employees. Turnover seemed to increase every year that I worked there. Change management is a huge problem within the company, which translates into an insecure workforce that is too concerned with whether or not they'll still have a job in a week to actually do their jobs. Layoffs aren't uncommon and are rarely communicated - one day someone is there and the next day they aren't. The blame game runs rampant at Wayne, and too often the wrong people get sacked when something goes wrong simply because the rest of their teammates were more adept at office politics. There's not a lot of room for advancement in most functions, and many managers aren't interested in developing or promoting employees. That goes double for women and minorities. All but a couple of senior leadership positions are occupied by white men.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. This could be (and should be) a great company, but it's not and the fault starts and ends with the CEO and his executive team. This company can attract talent, but until you stop playing favorites and start fostering a culture of innovation and respect you'll never be able to retain that talent.

8. Dresser looking to improve who they are

Current Employee - SST Tester in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - SST Tester in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dresser Wayne (More than a year)

Pros

Provides a working culture that fosters collaboration.

Cons

Slow to incorporate process improvements.

Advice to Management

Leverage the experience and talent of employees

9. Good company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Dresser Wayne full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Software engineer job is kind of stable

Cons

They are using kind of old technology

10. Good folks

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Dresser Wayne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team environment was good. Had a lot of support and flexibility when my father was sick. The right manager can look out for you.

Cons

Sales is the fast track to higher management levels. Production and Quality take a back seat on promotions.

Advice to Management

Reward the good managers.

Good Company, Not a lot of room for advancement

I worked at Dresser Wayne full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good people. Solid industry and possibly more opportunities now with GE owning.

Cons

Very focused on brand marketing with clear line of site on metrics. GE owning does increase the bureaucracy - so that is good and bad.

RSS Feed </> Embed