Drexel Online University

www.drexel.com

Drexel Online University Reviews

1.9

Susan C. Aldridge, PhD

On the surface very employee friendly ... many politics beneath the surface

I worked at Drexel Online University (more than an year)

Pros

Nice incentives
    Comfortable atmosphere
    Opportunities for bonuses

Cons

Politics under the surface
    Sometimes a bit of backstabbing
    Corporate mentality

I wonder how much upper management is aware of the politics that go on. Many people are pleasant on the surface, however sometimes the politics disrupt the flow of community. People hired here should be told that it is a business model even though it is in the education field.

Bad and disorganized work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Drexel Online University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite part of this company are the employees you get to work with. Most are pretty hardworking and fun to go out with after work. Free coffee from a keurig machine and kitchen items like plastic ware and plates are appreciated. We get a nice bonus check (profit share) but that is going away soon because we are merging with the university. Our health care benefits are really good.

Cons

The ethics, attitude and environment here sorely need improvement. And it has gotten 10x worse here because we are merging and no one has told us anything. There have been 2 rounds of layoffs and the rest of us run around wondering when we are next. Each time people are laid off, we are told it's not happening again. Promises they can't keep. And because everyone is under the pressure of possibly being fired, everyone throws people under the bus, steals ideas, or takes credit for things they didn't work on. There is no employee morale and good people are leaving here as fast as possible. HIGH turn over rate. Someone left here after just a few months! From a work standpoint, there is no clear direction to anything you do. The motto is more is better even if it makes no sense. The VPs come up with a lot of crappy ideas and you either go along with it or get in trouble (or fired). When their ideas fail, you get blamed for it. Be prepared for a lot of "accountability" lectures, except you have no control over any project and they ignore your advice. Also there is very little opportunity to move up in the company which means you are stuck in the same position forever.

I hope the new president steers the company in a new direction. Your management team has destroyed the company.

Disregard the last 2 reviews....

I worked at Drexel Online University full-time

Pros

Lasting friendships were definitely made working here... and I agree with the one review on the Keruig being a pro.

Cons

Where to start? This company takes advantage of hard working employees. Do not work here if you're an intelligent, diligent human-being who has values and is ethical. The working environment is terrible. Every day you would wonder who's getting laid off next, or when is the next meeting to tell us the marketing team is the worst department in the company. HA, you mean the department that does the most work for DeL? Right.

Oh, and when invited to happy hour with co-workers be aware that the upper management is only there to hear gossip and use it against you and others. Drinks on Friday = Getting thrown under the bus on Monday.

That being said, disregard the previous two reviews saying there are "plenty of opportunities" or "hard work pays off" because their opinions aren't valued.

Most likely one of the reviews came from someone who heads a Marketing department with a Bachelors in Psychology..... And they think the marketing "team" is the problem....

I have nothing for you.

Where to Start on What is Wrong?

I have been working at Drexel Online University full-time

Pros

Great co-workers. We all bond together over how much our job lacks fulfillment but is abundant in pressure and stress.

Ok benefits, if you can put up with a few years in order to earn a free degree. Earn experience, a degree and then get out. But be careful, if you get laid off or decide to leave, the bill is on you.

Cons

Where to start on what is wrong at Drexel Online? This is not an education company, but sales! Do not let the "Drexel University" part fool you. If you are looking for a sales position, it's not a horrible start for a few years, but if you worked anywhere else, and have any sort of professional experience or sense of professionalism, this place is not for you. I wasn't going to review but when I saw the two "positive" reviews on March 26 and 27, I knew something was up. They read more like job postings than honest reviews, so it made me wonder who was writing them. On the other hand, the majority of the reviewers are speaking the truth, and the 2.1 rating is on par with the experience.

Promotions are based on if upper management likes you, ie how well you tattle on other co-workers and play to the company line. Please make sure to suck up as much as possible, but that won't always protect you. Everything is at the whim of the VPs. Middle management are their parrots and honestly, there were times I wondered how they were able to tie their shoes in the morning without upper management guiding them. Working hard and trying to do a quality job pales in comparison to playing the numbers game. Do whatever you need to in order to hit your goals. But then again, there is no point because as hard as you work, you are never getting near the salary and bonuses that upper management gets. All the work is done on the lower levels while management reaps. Think of a feudal society, but without the protection that peasants usually got. And I would put company morale on the level of Dark Ages peasants as well.

There is no room to grow, show your creativity, knowledge or utilize past experiences. Most of the company is holed up in little cubicles, doing mundane, routine work. No windows. Little to no interaction between departments. People are in and out so fast, I don't know everyone anymore. No communication. If you feel that you are lucky to land a job that allows travel, think again. The stress that comes with hitting your targets does not make travel worth it. Also, if you want a sales position, there are many other opportunities that will pay a lot more. The hours are horrible, your boss will be horrible, and there isn't much to make things better, besides some great co-workers who feel just as horrible as you do.

No point in filling this out because it falls on deaf ears.

Hard work pays off

I have been working at Drexel Online University full-time

Pros

• The people are great at Drexel eLearning, you will find a welcoming team eager to support initiatives and projects

• New leadership, over the past several years there has been changes in leadership. Drexel eLearning has a new president along with new leadership in varies business functions

• Promotional opportunities for those that want to overachieve and grow their careers. Several levels in individual and management roles

• Benefits are great especially profit sharing and medical benefits

• Hard work pays off if you are willing to put in time and effort

Cons

• The transition over the years has been challenging for employees. There needs to be consistency in leadership and direction in order to move the company forward.

• There is a need for more activities to boost employee morale and not have it isolated to one or two departments especially during transition periods

• There have been layoffs over the past year that has made employees nervous. But most of the layoffs were necessary in order to move the company forward

• Spend more time with the individuals doing the work to learn about their interests and career goals

• Create more opportunities to collaborate across departments beyond management

• Find ways to reward and recognize individual day to day accomplishments as a company

• Share your experience more regularly with less experienced employees to help them grow in the company

• Always focus on employee morale

“Hard work DOES NOT pay off” and “NO great opportunities here!”

I have been working at Drexel Online University full-time

Pros

Lower level staff are generally nice people and benefits are decent.

Cons

To address the recent entries (so obviously submitted by someone on Drexel e-Learning's management team) entitled ‘Hard work pays off’ and ‘Great opportunities here!’:

- Regarding the comments about changes in leadership: It is true that there have been several changes in leadership over the past several years including Drexel Online's new president, Dr. Susan Aldridge. That being said, I recommend Googling her to check out the numerous articles on her leadership at her last institution, UMUC, and what employees there had to say about her and feel free to draw your own conclusions.

- Regarding the comments, “Hard work pays off” and "Most of the layoffs were necessary in order to move the company forward”: Both of these statements are nothing short of a slap in the face to some, if not most, of the employees that were let go in the layoffs. Many of us that were left after the layoffs were shocked to have seen some of this company’s hardest workers get cast aside in the past 6 months. Many of them were friends who worked here for several years, including some that were here at the inception of the company. Many received awards and honors while with the company. Many put in long hours of unpaid overtime to help the company hit its goals and fill the pockets of the higher-ups. There are people left here who don’t even have half of the dedication and drive as some of the people who were let go, so to say ‘hard work pays off’ and ‘the layoffs were necessary to move the company forward’ is laughable. If you wanted to ‘move the company forward’ you wouldn’t have gotten rid of many of your best employees. It's time you admit that the people who were let go were ones who stood up to your unethical practices. They were the ones who fought for their staff and the ones who questioned the status quo. They were the ones who you felt threatened would expose you for what you really are. Hard work and progress had nothing to do with the company’s layoffs, so stop pretending that it did.

- Regarding the comment: “I feel like my opinion is valued and that I contribute to the shared goals of the company”: You must be in management, because from what we’ve seen in the past 6 months, those with opinions at Drexel e-Learning get laid off or fired.

- Regarding the comment: “HR issues are a thing of the past since they brought and experienced and thoughtful professional in to fill the position”: This couldn’t be further from the truth. That is unless “a thing of the past” means “we haven’t had any reported HR violations in the past 24 hours”, then yes, I guess HR violations are, like you said, a “thing of the past.”

Focus on your employees and the company rather than signing onto this site to add your own bogus reviews in an attempt to make Drexel e-Learning look better than it is. Own up to the mess you created, rather than trying to cover it up. If you take ownership now, maybe you can salvage what is left of what was once a great place to work.

Great opportunities here!

I have been working at Drexel Online University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities to learn and grow here. I feel like my opinion is valued and that I contribute to the shared goals of the company.

Cons

Changes in the most senior position over the past few years had us switching gears quite a few times. I am not concerned with this any more - The new president has outlined a clear objective that aligns closely to what collectively the staff has been saying for years: we need deliver an amazing, quality experience for students online.

HR issues are a thing of the past since they brought and experienced and thoughtful professional in to fill the position.

We have a strong leadership team in place now and clear direction. We are positioned for growth!

Continue to push for changes for the student experience.

No idea where we're going, and not staying to find out

I have been working at Drexel Online University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great, good location (convenient to 30th Street Station and Market-Frankford Line), managers are generally open to providing employees with training/professional development opportunities, and benefits are ok for the most part.

Cons

Work life balance here is terrible...Lots of unpaid overtime is the norm. If you're not in the office till 7pm, then you need to be answering emails between dinner, bathing your kids and putting them to bed. Oh, weekends too...I mean, who really needs down time anyway? There is also no work from home option (even just one day a week) or flex time option. Two very easy and fiscally responsible benefits Drexel Online could offer employees, but refuse to. For a company that claims to be 'innovative' you should try joining the 21st century.

HR violations are everywhere. Managers are extremely unprofessional and say and do things that would get you fired anywhere else. Despite being at the center of a couple different lawsuits over the past few years, their behavior remains the same because no one is reprimanded and incidents continue to get brushed under the rug.

All that being said, I guess it doesn't really matter, because the organization probably won't be around this time next year. There have been two rounds of non-sensical layoffs this year despite the company already being severely understaffed. Management threatens our jobs daily and morale is at an all-time low. If I do happen to be part of the next round of layoffs, I would very happily welcome unemployment with open arms.

I'm not even going to bother with this question because they wouldn't listen anyway....which, when it comes down it, is the problem.

A company in a rapid decline due to poor leadership

I worked at Drexel Online University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about this company is the staff. You’ll meet some lifelong friends here. Pretty great benefits and a profit share check is a nice touch. The location is pretty good since it’s next to 30th St. station and right off the Market Frankford Line. There’s also a Septa lot and Drexel parking you can pay for. Good food trucks nearby.

Cons

This is a pretty bad company to work for. I’ve been here for a while and it was not always like this. It had its share of problems like all companies do, but then it just got worse and worse over the last 3-4 years. There’s a lot of unethical activity at this company. Workplace harassment issues take place in almost all departments in the company. Even when reported it has been quickly swept under the rug by HR and the on campus University. Preferential treatment is given to those who “look the part”, worship the ground management walks on and participates in the many workplace games that exist. Fake promotions are given out to those they like. Others have been promoted with the promise of a raise, but they never got it and took on more responsibility. The environment created by management is to sell out fellow coworkers. In the last six months two rounds of layoffs occurred. Lots of employees have left on their own because of the bad circumstances here. There really is no job security here anymore.

Management likes quotes. Here are some for you – actually listen to them:

True leadership must be for the benefit of the followers, not the enrichment of the leaders. -Robert Townsend
    Leadership is an opportunity to serve. It is not a trumpet call to self-importance. –J. Donald Walters
    Leadership is the ability to do, not the ability to state. -Paul Von Ringelheim
    A competent leader can get efficient service from poor troops, while on the contrary an incapable leader can demoralize the best of troops. -John J. Pershing
    Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things. -Peter F. Drucker

"Corrupt Management Seeks Mindless Sheep to Build Fiefdom"

Current Employee - Business Development in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Drexel Online University full-time

Pros

Employees who are not at the top are really nice people. Benefits aren't bad, and time off is very generous. Drexel is also in a great location where you are right in the middle of the city, but in a safer neighborhood than that of Penn or Temple.

Cons

Upper management behaves like the cast of "Mean Girls," and they are high on their own exhaust. The amount of complaints and claims that have been filed against upper management internally have all been swept under the rug, leading tyrants to push the envelope even more with bullying, favoritism, discrimination, dishonesty, stealing, cover ups, selective information sharing, and elitism. The direction for the company was created by a consulting company, and what really holds this company down is one leader's insistence on hiring only pretty, obedient women. If you are a mindless sheep with a weak to minimal moral compass, this is the perfect place for you. You will most likely be asked to do things that are completely immoral, and if you want to have a great interview, make sure to say "Once you can fake sincerity, you can get away with anything." (that's the company's motto, also "You can make the numbers say anything that you want them to"). I need to reiterate the insistence that questioning anything can get you written up, and being fully obedient with every idea is the only way to get ahead. I only wish that I had the chance to read these reviews when I got hired there.

The flavor of the week mentality is never a recipe for long-term success. Trust your people who have earned it, and promote those who deserve it. Your made up positions with the same amount of responsibility but more pay (when enrollments are consistently declining under your leadership) aren't fair to everyone else. Finally, you may have laid off all of the mindful sheep, but being stuck with mindless sheep won't help you make your numbers. Karma's around the corner.

Drexel Online University Photos