Drexel University

www.drexel.edu

Drexel University Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Drexel University – US – “Mario the Dragon”

Drexel University President John A. Fry

John A. Fry

Pros
  • Being a private organization with smaller academi community, it tends to be a great environment to work(in 10 reviews)

• The benefits are great and the working hours are flexible(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I worked for an advisor who was essentially hostile to anyone maintaining work-life balance(in 3 reviews)

• lack of resect for employees, low pay(in 4 reviews)

Drexel has been very good to me.

Teaching Professor (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsI've worked at a number of universities and the students here are quite good. I've also worked for Fortune 500 companies and would say that the compensation and benefits are very generous for higher education. It's exciting to work somewhere that is growing and improving academically and physically.

ConsDrexel is experiencing dynamic growth - and growth is disruptive. Long neglected facilities are being upgraded, but unevenly. This can be irritating for some, but patience is required.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn 1995, Drexel University was financially and academically in trouble. Under President Papadakis, the tide was turned. President Fry is building on the work of his predecessor and taking the institution to the next level. In Higher Education today, it's "Go big or go home."

Stay the course. Turning a battleship takes time.

Research Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly people. Work hours are flexible.

ConsThere are No cons except that management can be made more better

Good place to work

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe amount of paper work you have to do depends on who you work for but in general they strike a good balance between teaching, personal class load, and research.

ConsIf you're not working under a good professor it can be frustrating, poor organization, poor communication, neither you nor the students your teaching understand the requirements of the class. But again. This is very much dependent on who you work for.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Grad student life is hard but rewarding.

Ph D Student (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsWork with great people, very smart and diverse group. Good work environment, very independent by nature of work.

Conswork-life balance is lacking. Often encouraged to put in lengthy hours (100 hr work week not atypical). Pay is bad.

research scholar

Research Scholar (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosacademic environment, get touch with students and professors

Consmore pressure to work on the research and publish the paper

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease more promotion and stimulation projects

Co-op Program Misleading

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot a bad school if you are one of the lucky few who get all the opportunities.

ConsI recently learned from a hiring manager of Drexel Co-ops and a Drexel alum that Drexel is the largest employer of Drexel Co-ops. So essentially they use their students to do the work the students are paying tuition for.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing on quality

student

Prospretty good environment and career services

Conssome of the professors are not too good

Review

ProsBenefits, Flexibility, Autonomy, Growth, Work-Life Balance

ConsSalary, Workload, Political, Budget Cutting

Great experience learned a lot from all of the positions I held here throughout my graduate work.

Research Assistant, Graduate TA, Student Worker (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsEvery leader is very flexible with your schedule and understands that school is a priority. The leaders are very well trained and knowledgeable individuals that want to see their employees succeed well beyond the duties and limitations of their position within the University.

ConsThe HR department is a mess and it is often the case that it takes weeks to get very minute issues resolved. The great leaders are also highly sought after and involved in what seems like too many tasks at any given moment. It often seems like they are overburdened with work and cannot fully contribute to any one project.

Great experience

ProsA lot of people from various background, very diverse environment to work in. Willing to help students a lot, and easy to transfer between departments.

ConsNot many problems I can think of, but sometimes the pay is less for campus jobs, but it may be much more than the other universities, so not really much to complain about.

Worked for Drexel University? Contribute to the Community!