Dreyer's

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dreyer's President and CEO Mike Mitchell

Mike Mitchell

Great product and people.

Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Dreyer's full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI got to work during a time they launched a lot of new products and entered new distribution regions so I learned a lot.

ConsI can't think of any cons other than it's hard to resist the higher butterfat ice creams instead of the low-fat!

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the core values.

Family-oriented, stable CPG company

Oakland, CA

I worked at Dreyer's full-time for more than a year

ProsNice people, good benefits, free ice cream.

ConsStress level, treatment of employees, and overall work environment strongly depends on the group you work in. With Nestle acquisition, family culture fading.

Benefits are good

Merchandiser (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Dreyer's part-time for more than a year

ProsFree Ice Cream, work on own time

Conslots of driving, very cold merchandising

Nestle WW is very successful but from Dreyer's perspective it is a challenge to fits in

Sales and Operation Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Dreyer's full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI met great colleagues, the team was supportive. The could not complaint of the compensation of the time.

ConsDreyer's slowly rolled under Nestle management scaling back staff and resources in their Oakland offices. The Dreyer's business model didn't necessarily fits perfectly within the Nestle Co so it was little challenging to match respective expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementA more fair integration

Good for a temporary position

I worked at Dreyer's full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDreyer's is now owned by Nestle and is in transition. The job positions that are open are most likely employees who have anticipated getting terminated and have successfully moved on. It could be a good first job ...or temp job.

ConsThere is currently very little job security as there have been many surprise layoffs made by either Nestle USA in Glendale or Nestle in Switzerland.

The creative, startup-like culture has essentially disappeared. The disappointment lingers among old-timers. Decisions and approvals used to be quick in the small company. But now they go through an assembly-line process, often bogging down in delays along the chain of participants.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior managements intention is to scrap the current (DSD) distribution organization and relocate it to Glendale, CA or Solon, OH it will take long to rebuild what Dreyer's created. Bring back some of your front-line people, the route drivers who had a rapport with the stores and have them train your front-line employees on how to provide the best customer service. Do merchandising. Please don't expect the stores to bow to your demands, just because they need to have Nestle products in their stores.

Limited advancement opportunities

Merchandiser (Former Employee)

I worked at Dreyer's full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe pay is generally competitive for the work being done. Good benefits and vacation/sick time available for full-time employees. Lots of flexibility if you are in school or working another job.

ConsAlmost impossible to move up, even if you have your degree (despite what they tell you) unless you are willing to relocate. People who have worked here for a while are very negative about the direction of the business. Constant changes in procedures since Nestle took over.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within more often. Cut the dead weight before it becomes a lingering problem, especially if you have young, educated and experienced workers available to fulfill advanced roles.

Dreyer's WAS great!

Ice Cream Maker II- Production Team Leader (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Dreyer's full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe culture before the Nestle merger was outstanding! The R&D was creative, and Dreyer's was involved in many community service outreaches. However, most community service took place in CA.

ConsThe Nestle merger was not a good move for the culture, or for the ice cream quality. The main line products are now frozen dairy desserts, instead of legally being ice cream. I hope that the company will return to the more family type culture. I have spoken to several of the distributing personel that I see, and they all give me the same bleak news. The culture has changed drastically.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease repeat this mantra to yourself daily: Your employees are your greatest asset.

Formerly a great place to work, but new bureaucratic & top-down management has taken over.

I worked at Dreyer's full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDreyer's was a wonderful, "groovy" place to work (5-star) until Nestle took over. Some of that original "grooviness" may still be around, and I was very happy there under the old management. Their severance packages are at least average if not better than average. More opportunities exist if you are willing to relocate.

ConsBureaucratic and top-down management style. They try to pound square pegs into round holes. Poor job security if you don't want to move to a different location.

Very non- diverse company

Business Unit Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Dreyer's full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEmployees, great to work with.

ConsDreyer's employees do not respect it's managers.....the company needs more people of color and women in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the differences of all people......

Getting kicked out was a turning point in my career. Thank you Nestle DSD!

Fleet Analyst (AKA Secretary) (Former Employee)
Oakland, CA

I worked at Dreyer's full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking at Dreyer's, from accepting the offer to the day I got the boot, exemplified taking your career in the worst direction possible. I thank Dreyer's, or, specifically, the Nestle DSD division for helping me see the light. Shortly after I was canned, I got hired by a major Silicon Valley corporation and have been there ever since. Now, my technical skills have evolved 10 times better than what it was. Keep in mind my management and colleagues at Dreyer's were pretty impressed with the things I can do, especially with Excel and Access. These days I'm developing system applications and helping automate our internal and external logistics processes (and my background is not IT). Plus, I'm reaping the financial rewards and probably earning more than what my boss made. I'm doing exciting things all in the name of science and technology and not in the name of processed foods that lead to the obesity problem in this country. Thanks to the team at Nestle DSD for helping me realize what a fool I've been in accepting your offer of employment.

ConsThey turned what should've been a purely technical analyst role into one that files vehicle titles and is the meeting scribe for weekly conference calls. From someone having a technical educational background, this was degrading. Your colleagues consist of old timers who were pretty much manual in their processes with no inclination to improve or automate. The job itself was a perfect example of a dead end job. I pity the person who replaced me. There was no clear direction and no excitement. The entire experience was stressful for me because I felt I was not utilizing my full potential. There was absolutely nothing to motivate me to do otherwise. I dreaded going to work. I'm glad I got let go. It was a major relief. To think all that time I was stressing out over pretty much frozen pizza and ice cream. That was definitely a bad career move.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to scarf down your free ice cream, hold your useless meetings and look at me now!

Worked for Dreyer's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dreyer's reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dreyer's CEO Mike Mitchell. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Dreyer's employees.