DriveTime Automotive Group
www.drivetime.com Phoenix, AZ 1000 to 5000 Employees

DriveTime Automotive Group Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Ray Fidel

Pros:
  • "Open and collaborative work environment"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Good pay for first year without prior experience"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, low pay, low recognition for jobs well done"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Pay could be better considering the lack of work life balance that you have"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Working for them isn't like walking into your typical used car dealership

Customer Service (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time for more than a year

ProsFun, enthusiastic atmosphere, good pay and benefits and all around good people to work with.

ConsSlow growth opportunities, call center could use improvements, coffee isn't the best (but thanks for offering it to us). Pay structured could be shifted to more hourly instead of yearly bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more opportunity to "specialists" and other entry-level employees, the career path needs to be defined and awarded by effort, not by chance.

It was great while it lasted

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA lot of opportunity. They value talent and education. They will give you the tools to get as far as possible but it is up to you to use them.

ConsNot the best work life balance. Requiring a Bachelors Degree certainly helps them create a foundation for building a very smart company, however not every college grad is going to work 60+ hours a week as a Sales Adviser.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't be blind

Crash and Burn

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Greensboro, NC

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsManagers get a car to drive but mine broke down a couple of times....Nice atmosphere to work in. Loved working there at first and then something happened, company changed.

ConsUpper management is there by default.....they are over paid and have no clue what they are doing. They treat the employees like dirt because they are so job scared. Most of them would be in a minimum wage job if they weren't at DriveTime. The culture they talk about is all smoke and mirrors.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould fall on deaf ears - Clean house of most of the upper management and get some qualified managers.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

To make a career you have to be willing to dive head first into the company kool-aid.

Sales Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time for less than a year

ProsSalary at least is something steady. Coworkers are nice. Found a better job!!!! Not bad for someone straight out of school. Low pressure sales.

ConsBecause they only hire people with degrees they sacrifice hiring dynamic sales people. This allows them to offer a salary and screw you on bonus. Good salespeople kill it here, numbers wise, but Drivetime doesn't pay enough to keep them. As much as they make on financing the service contract they should pay a $900 commission. You get paid zero. A service contract can increase the loan term by 15 months or more, x $450 a month equals $6750!!! That's not the most ridiculous I've ever seen!
Hours are terrible.
people who have been promoted are barely competent. They just repeat whatever is told to them by middle management. They LOVE green kool-aid.
 The loan terms are outrageous for most people. The commission structure is laughable. Get paid nothing for the hours required.
Top performers are lucky to make 50k and work 55 hours a week and come in on their days off. Virtually no one we sell a car to can actually afford the car.
People that gross $1900 a month are considered good income. They pay $450 a month for a car for 65 months with 100k miles on it.
They definitely post on job review sites so be weary of exceptionally positive reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, subprime lending is a dirty job but necessary. These people buying here have NO other choice because they are terrible budgeting, Have terrible credit, and want a newer looking vehicle.

My overall experience at DriveTime was a good one, it was definitely a great position for me as a new college grad.

Sales Advisor (Former Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time for less than a year

Prosdecent pay structure for a sales advisors, especially at a car dealership with $31,000 base salary plus commission, fun work environment, overall good company culture, free popcorn, you can have a decent career as a sales advisor without feeling pressure that you have to cut your co workers throats to succeed,

Conshours can be very long especially when trying to close a deal, some of the vehicles you have to sell are not in the best condition even though they put a decent amount of money into them before they hit the lot,

Long hours, great place to work

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

ProsCompetitive pay, good management, great communication, company seems to care and get it.

ConsHours are sincerely awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork/life balance.

I have never been treated so unfairly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Mesa, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

ProsNothing really. The recruiter will talk up the job and make it sound amazing, but when you get out on the floor you realize you were quickly lied to. If you want to feel like you are back in high school I highly recommend this job for you.

ConsSlander. Gossiping. Management watches your every move. God forbid if you have to use the restroom when you are not on your break (be prepared to have to explain every minute you were off the phone). This company is very micromanaging and will do anything to demote someone. Health Insurance is priced in "tiers" so basically this means that you have to meet the companies health standards in order to get less expensive health insurance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing personal with employees to the extent you are allows too must trust, and thus termination feels personal. Great at motivating trainees, however just because you are in management does not mean you should treat employees with disrespect.

awful

Loan Advisor (Current Employee)
Fort Worth, TX

Prosbenefits, the little time off that they give you. The benefits are the only good thing that is good about this company

Consunprofessional work environment, they hire just about anyone and they treat the employees like children

Sell 20+ cars and work 50+ hours a week and you might make money.

Sales Advisor (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

ProsDecent benefits, some nice co-workers

ConsLong hours, Managers vs Sales Advisors environment, Selling Overpriced high mileage cars, Having to sell 20+ cars to make decent money.
Every year they have been lowering the commissions and keeping the base salary the same. Here's an example of your commission if you sold 15 cars a month: in 2014 you would make $400 less than last year and $700 less than the year before per month.

Here's their pay plan: Cars 1-4 is $15 per car(joke), cars 5-8 is $25 per car(another joke), 9-14 is $65 per car(joke three), cars 15-21 is $165(finally a decent commission) 21 and up is $195. Have fun keeping your morale up working a ten+ hour shift when you have to split a $15 commission. Meanwhile mangers work less hours than you do but expect you to come in early and stay late EVERY day. Also they want you to sell all their ancillary products, which is their bread and butter, and you might make $100 at the end of the month if your store sells %100 percent of the cars budgeted.

Overall you'll make around 43-48k a year but you'll be working 50+ hours a week and a crappy schedule that always changes. so you'll be making an average of $15 per hour no overtime.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lowering commissions for sales advisors and pay them for upselling your overpriced ancillary products. I mean the ancillary product is your bread and butter and yet you don't pay a sales advisor for selling it.

Good choice for college graduates

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group

ProsFun Team Environment, Easy Work, Growth Potential, overall I like the job. It's a good choice for a recent college graduate or someone young looking to get into a new field.

ConsThere are very long hours. The customers that you are trying to get to buy don't have a pot to ...well you know what I mean. They can't afford to buy a ham sandwich let alone pay for an overpriced vehicle at 30% apr

Worked for DriveTime Automotive Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DriveTime Automotive Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DriveTime Automotive Group CEO Ray Fidel. All 141 reviews posted anonymously by DriveTime Automotive Group employees.