DriveTime Automotive Group

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.6

Ray Fidel

Pros
  • Great work environment with fun and energetic co workers and managers (in 15 reviews)

• I see the reviews about there not being a good work/life balance, and I really disagree (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is the work life balance especially as you begin to move into the management role (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours especially during tax season, employees can be over worked sometimes (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture
    Monthly Bonuses
    Company growth
    Paid time off
    Growth opportunity
    Company vehicle
    Company mission & vision

Cons

Inefficient & ineffective policies
    Work-life balance (rough)
    Not Green
    Network/technology/system
    Commission for Sales Advisors
    Salary increases

Become more efficient in practices & reduce the clutter in the sales process. More thouroughly inspected vehicles should be coming from our ICs.

Stressful, Ill-Managed, Joke

Former Employee - Lease Advisor in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Lease Advisor in Mesa, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

BiWeekly Pay check, good co-workers

Cons

Not at all developed like a call center should be. Collections in an non collections department. Management enforces rules they don't follow. Its a complete joke.

Coach your employees and make plans to improve performance, don't just write them up. Team building. If you ask for input, don't be so obvious that you don't care as we respond.

Sales Manager

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I would say the biggest upside to working at DriveTime is the fun atmosphere. It's not by any means a "stuffy" place. Directors and assistant directors (those that manage the GMs within the dealerships) are very supportive. There are a lot of resources to help you do your job whether it's selling cars, processing title work, or being a lot attendant.

Cons

The worst part of the job by far is the work life balance. Employees are expected to work 55+ hours during tax season which for some reason begins in January even though this very company doesn't have W2s ready nor would we have our tax money back during that month. Nonetheless mid-Jan through April expect to live at the dealership. After tax season the hours are still brutal without there really being a need.10-12 hour days are very common and expected even though there is no need. An improvement in the salaries/bonuses of those that help underwrite and manage the teams would allow for more folks to want to move into management and allow for more flexible hours. Pay is a bit of a drag as well, in so far as you really have no idea what your goals are until the very end of the previous month. It is also tough when you consider that you could improve year over year net sales by as much as 10% but you don't have a guarantee that you will make the same amount of money as you did the year before. Dealership management does not participate in commissions beginning in 2015...there are only "bonuses" paid when you achieve the goal given to you at the start of the month. Not to mention this goal is mostly arbitrary based on a combination of last year's performance, previous month's performance, the region's goal, and how nice the guy that gives you your goal wants to be to you. If you're a store that has hit budget 6 months in a row you can expect another monster budget, but if you have missed 3 months in a row you'll get a smaller budget so you don't lose all hope. You're really incentivized to just barely make your goal. If you make it in the final 3 days probably works best.

Make this a place people want to work. The fact is turnover is probably above 50% in a year. 1700 hires in 2015 with a work force of 2400 means something is not right. For starters...Give goals out at the beginning of the year for the entire year. Let GMs and Sales Managers really prove their worth by working to exceed those goals without fear their next month's paycheck will be cut by 30-40% because they did too well the previous month. Allow for flexible hours as needed by the dealerships. The GMs can figure out the best hours. I'm not talking individual open to close hours but hours that the employees need to come in etc. Lastly, improve the pay of the SSAs. These guys are sales people, underwriters, managers etc...give them a respectable salary commensurate with the work they are putting in. Make this promotion meaningful and something to celebrate instead of something someone needs to be dragged into.

The pay is very good

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits aren't the best but they are good compare to some other companies.

Cons

extremely long hours, especially during tax season. well over 100 hrs/bi-weekly

Sales Advisor

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and incentive for bonuses and commissions.

Cons

Long hours at times, require to where multiple hats

It pays the bills... and you are allowed to have fun while you work

Current Employee - Underwriting Support Coordinator in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Underwriting Support Coordinator in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working at DriveTime... the people I work with are great and that definitely makes a difference. The management will also help you in moving up or career pathing out of your department if you wish to either get a promotion or if you want to try something different. We are paid well for what we do - there aren't many jobs that I've had previously that I can say pay me what I deserve.

Cons

If I had to say there were cons to this job, I would say the lack of sick days. If we are to unexpectedly become ill, we have to use our PTO hours, or just take an unpaid day off. I do not think this is right. I also have not worked a tax season yet, but I hear they are pretty awful - employees work mandatory overtime and with such tedious work, I can see how it can be mentally taxing.

I think employees should be allowed some form of sick days each year. My old job gave us 10 per year (no rollover of course), and while I do not think we need this many, 3 to 5 would be nice.

A Large Company w/ Big Opportunity That Feels Like a Startup!

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- DT is GREAT at empowering their employees - giving them a project and letting them run with it to apply their own solution/vision.
    - You have the opportunity to work on some really big, company changing initiatives.
    - DT opens up a ton of doors and really helps to create a promising career path.
    - DT is good to challenge you and offers ample amount of tools to better yourself professionally.
    - The people and management are AWESOME.
    - Fast paced environment with a "get work done" approach
    - DT is quick to notice hard work and promotions often happen before yearly reviews.
    - Organically grown company - promotes within
    - Rapidly growing company that still feels like a start up
    - CULTURE

Cons

- At times, sense of direction can be convoluted
    - Neutral: Initiatives change frequently as dictated by upper management - This causes things to change quickly at time. You'll need to be good at adapting.
    - Neutral: Documentation is little to non-existent. This allows the employee to create value rather quickly by learning and excelling in an area where few have understanding. On the flip side, you don't waste time updating documentation.
    - IT is slightly underpaid by industry standards, but DT is not shy when it comes to promotions. Earn your keep!

Keep doing what you are doing! Continue to spend time investing into your employees.
    While things can get crazy quickly, try to maintain that transparency with your teams. It will help us to execute more effectively!

Great Career with tremendous room to grow!

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice base salary with commission and team bonus, work life balance is fair for the car industry, they promote from within and its up to you how far you want to advance...Drivetime has excellent benefits with PTO and they promote a fun, team atmosphere

Cons

Commissions are low for the first 10-11 cars, because we are paid based on a tier...sometimes it is hard to figure out how their approval process works and it can be frustrating at times

Raise the per car commission structure

Good Entry Level Sales

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time

Pros

Easy and fair product and service to offer. Excellent benefits. Legitimate niche service designed to benefit all parties. Growth.

Cons

Somewhat confused or conflicting vision in senior management and severely lacking training programs. Blend of modern and old school sales cultures.

Make updating internal sites a higher priority to present a more professional image to new and existing mployees and develop at least an outline to follow for more consistent and effective on board training.

Good entry-level position.

Former Employee - Operations Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Operations Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group

Pros

It is a family-oriented work environment.

Cons

Tax season is very hectic. DriveTime (GA) allows new Georgia residents to purchase a vehicle without a Georgia driver's license. This causes the Operations Advisor job to be quite challenging.

DriveTime Automotive Group Photos