DriveTime Automotive Group

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.6

Ray Fidel

Pros
  • Small work environment and good atmosphere (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits package; you work with awesome people & meeting new people everyday is great (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is the work life balance especially as you begin to move into the management role (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours especially during tax season, employees can be over worked sometimes (in 27 reviews)

More Highlights

Good, if you cant find anything else??

Former Employee - Lot Attendant in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Lot Attendant in Charlotte, NC

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The job was EASY. I cant express that enough, EASY. It was some of the easiest money I have ever made. Not that much money, but the easiest. I wasn't there long enough to use the benefits, but they used a great insurance company and seemed to offer competitive benefits. To other people who say "Free Food" is a Pro-- when you work at an inspection center with a bunch of dirty, greasy-handed mechanics who don't wash their hands after urinating and then you see them going grab slices of pizza or fried chicken with those nasty hands, you will change your tune.

Cons

Poor business model of targeting people with horrible credit and putting them into cars they cannot afford.
    Low pay. The inspection center I worked at reportedly pays lower than the same position and the retailers, but I can't confirm this.
    Poor pay in conjunction with horrible conditions. Outdoors, rain or shine, sleet or snow. Single degree weather, or triple degree weather. Rain gear is not provided, only a crappy jacket that doesn't even block the wind.
    While some team leads and other HR and management people are okay, most only care about what will make them look good or lessen the work their department has to accomplish. Constant restructuring of various areas makes it impossible to establish a workflow.
    When asking some managers and leads a questions they would simply say "go ask (GM's name)" Isn't that YOUR job? I tell my supervisor what I need and they make it happen, just like when they give me a task I make that happen. When I notified them I was leaving I got the same response, "did you tell the GM?" No, Ive never worked somewhere that requires every employee who finds a better job to inform the GM, especially when said GM has never shown any interest in the person leaving or said 2 words to that person.
    No enforcement of company policies. An example of this would be lack of enforcement of speed limits in the parking lots and garages. People would fly through them with reckless abandon. Another example is the need for punctuality. Working with a point system based on absences, coming in late, returning late for lunch is not enforced unless someone just doesn't like you for some reason. They also simply reset the points at random times when too many people have collected them. I saw one employee arrive late from lunch every day for 2 weeks and more during my time there, which should have been close to a termination point.
    No key accountability, my dept kept our keys at all times to avoid this happening and we were successful. Once all keys went to a central location, and we had to turn ours in, numerous keys were lost and misplaced, returned to a different location.
    I have also never worked somewhere that did not offer discount on products they used, this is a mild con, but even with discounts used at the contracted company Carquest, it was still cheaper to go to Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, or a quick lube shop, or almost anywhere to buy simple replacement parts like wipes, lights, tires, etc.
    I was also requested to dress 'business professional' for my interview. This was pointless, I knew it was pointless, but I did it anyway because I like wearing a suit. This is another small con.
    This is a lengthy paragraph and I am sure I could think of more to say, but my hands are tired and I can't find the motivation for waste any more time on this place.

Change everything. You will never be Car-max because your inspection/repair process is horrible, your cars are horrible and you target low income buyers with poor credit. You can't meet your quotas because your auction buyers have no idea what they are doing. You promote employees who just know how to turn wrenches-or even less- to supervisor positions(which isn't always bad, but in this case yes, it is.)

Sales Advisor

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere, excellent PTO, several opportunities for advancement if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Pay could be better considering the lack of work life balance that you have. Long hours.

Do not coddle your sales advisors. Give them autonomy for decision making which will then give your managers more time and energy to focus on the overall day to day operations of running a dealership.

Better follow or else...

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn how the corporate world works!

Cons

Long hours, low pay, low recognition for jobs well done. Job is robotic and unrewarding. Looking for fresh young college kids who have no life or work experience to get stuck here and that will work long hours, and will aimlessly follow management believe every single word they say.

Stop allowing regimes to get into management and promote under performers because they are either related, or naive to the business and believe that upper management walks on water!

Free food but not much else.

Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free food but not much else.

Cons

No matter how you slice it or dice it you will still be working for a used car business. Don't let all the shiny toys and cool events fool you. Used cars. Always repeat that to yourself. Used cars.

Embrace diversity in your workforce. Aren't there laws about just those things?

fair money...need to work for it

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

nice cars...$6,000 added to each car

Cons

long hours....monthly car payment high...

none...fun place...sometimes the long hours get to them

good people, long hours, crazy customers

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

management, benefits and helping people

Cons

the hours tend to be unpredictable

stay in the same page with each other

Really good company to work for

Current Employee - Lot Attendant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lot Attendant in Houston, TX

I have been working at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits and the company treats their employees well, co-workers are very friendly.

Cons

Long hours especially during tax season, employees can be over worked sometimes.

Production Supervisor

Former Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can not give any. Poor area managers.

Cons

Management very unethical. Will be dishonest to your face, no they are lying and tell you that they lying to get rid of you.

Get rid of the unethical managers in the company because they are lying to the owners as well.

Make sure you fit in well there first

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and a decent salary. Most of upper management seems to listen.

Cons

Too many meetings. Way too touchy. They promote collaboration and being outspoken in words, but their actual philosophy is more along the lines of "do what we tell you and don't say anything contrary to your lead's opinion on the subject." Basically if you work there just be prepared to keep your mouth shut and do whatever it takes to get the job done regardless of whether or not its the "right way" to do it. I was not that kind of person.

Actually vet your technical leadership before letting them lead a team.

No work-life balance.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Orlando, FL

I worked at DriveTime Automotive Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not on the same level as a traditional dealership as far as compensation, but one is still able to make a living.

Cons

Work very long hours. Top-down pressure atmosphere. No matter how well you do, it is always about accomplishing even more. Absolutely no work-life balance. Decided it was not for me when I was told by management to expect that "this job will ruin family and personal relationships." by not being able to have personal time with them.

DriveTime Automotive Group Photos