Dropbox

Updated September 16, 2014
4.9

Dropbox Founder & CEO Drew Houston
Drew Houston

Pros
  • I was a little wary before I interviewed, concerned that it might be just another hot tech company with inflated egos and over-the-top perks (in 8 reviews)

• Smart people, driven to a common mission to make Dropbox great (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Disclaimer: Dropbox is NOT a place that does not support work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• 250 - of course there are going to be some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work amongst some of the most talented programmers of our generation

I have been working at Dropbox as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Getting the opportunity to work closely with really bright and motivated people is in itself a strong motivation to perform well at Dropbox. You also really get a sense that you are doing something good for the world, that the work you do has a measurable impact on people using Dropbox, Mailbox, or Carousel. There are also a lot of stellar perks, from the game room, stocked with DDR, foosball, ping pong, and more, to the amazing Tuck Shop, our cooks and baristas, providing us with a five-star breakfast, lunch and dinner experience. Honestly, the Tuck Shop is better than many restaurants!

Cons

At Dropbox, we have some issues with code quality and in communication between teams on shared projects. As there is a lot of pressure to meet deadlines, at times code modularity and quality has been sacrificed for rapid development. This has come to bite us in the butt at times, as someone has made a change in a shared project which has derailed the work of another team. This is getting better, but still it is as of yet an unsolved problem, besides having some people whose jobs are actually improving and cleaning up the codebase.

It would be nice if we had a little more space... Sometimes I feel like there aren't really great places to work besides your desks. I would love having a quite workspace with comfortable chairs where people could come and go but that would always be quiet, just to have the chance to get away from the noise of the office.

Pretty fantastic

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is extremely motivated and excited about helping the organisation succeed. When I first joined, I swore there must've been something in the water.

There's a lot of freedom; some change projects every 2-3 weeks, others (if they so desire) can stay on one thing for months at a time. Working on projects unrelated to your team is encouraged, if it would be the best way to move the company forward.

The org is growing, but they seem to be growing responsibly.

Cons

The lunchroom gets too crowded at 12:05pm.

Can't ask for a better work environment - people are unbelievably talented and always willing to help out!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The perks are great, of course (better than any company in the Bay Area I've been to, and I've been to most of them), but the most important thing at Dropbox is the people and the culture. The environment is really positive and people are not only smart, but actually seem to care about the company and each other. There's a ton of opportunity to move around to different teams if you're interested in trying something new or want a different career path.

Cons

The company is definitely growing fast, and people move around a lot, so roles get shuffled around. This isn't necessarily the best place to work if you're not comfortable with change, as that happens a lot around here. Things are still getting figured out, which can sometimes be exciting (and sometimes confusing).

Not much that I would criticize here. Maybe find some way to mix teams a bit more? It's been a little difficult to meet people in other functions since the Wharfside building is so separated.

great place to work

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

i feel spoiled every day

Cons

it's a fast growing place—some learn to deal with some ambiguity!

Dropbox made me feel like Dropbox cares about me.

I have been working at Dropbox as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

At a previous internship (at another well-known and successful tech company of similar size), I felt discouraged and didn't have very much self-confidence most of the time; my manager was not an engineer, my mentor was working on something different than I was, and in general I felt it was difficult to ask for help. As a result, even though I enjoyed the environment, I spent a lot of my day feeling like I was drowning and not really understanding how to proceed, or how to learn more in order to proceed.

Working on Android at Dropbox, my mentor gave me a light side project before the internship started (a couple of hours of work every weekend) that helped me get a grasp of how Android development worked, and made me feel a lot more confident about my abilities. During the actual internship, my mentor arranged weekly 1-on-1's to give feedback, ask me about my concerns, and so on; they were also always available for technical help when I was confused about the right way to do something. I received formal feedback every two weeks with suggestions like "don't be afraid to ask more questions" or "go over your code before you submit it for review" that didn't feel overwhelming, like "stop being so terrible" or something; it made me feel like I was constantly improving.

People also seemed super-friendly. At the previous company, I pretty much ate lunch/dinner alone and listened to podcasts or music the entire summer. Sometimes I would try to sit down next to people, but it seemed hard to really strike up a conversation. At Dropbox, I tried to continue being a loner for a little while, but I kept getting dragged into lunches with my team and so on. It was surprisingly easy to find people with shared interests with whom I could get into really engaging conversations. One time after dinner, I accidentally ended up playing chess and was repeatedly destroyed over the next hour or so by some ludicrously strong players - that's the kind of thing that ended up happening many times throughout the summer.

It's hard to eliminate personal bias here - maybe I felt incompetent at my previous company because I really was incompetent at that time; maybe people didn't seem as friendly because I didn't make an effort to make friends. But I do think that there is some difference there. At the very least I can point out the things that I found surprising and enjoyable here, and you, dear reader, can make a decision for yourself. Things like weekly team lunches where people discuss work, a startup based on nude selfies, Popin Cookin sushi candy, and the correct pronunciation of "char*" (I maintain that it's "care star", as in "character"). Things like team members who will pause whatever they're doing and walk over to help you as soon as you Gchat them with a question. Those same team members will crowd around one person's desk to try out an Oculus Rift demo late at night, or play FIFA, or reserve a conference room to build a motorized Lego crane during Hack Week. I felt like people were invested in my success and happiness because they cared about me, not because it was in some way beneficial to their career.

That's kind of the running theme here, you know? I just felt like people cared about me. My mentor cared about me, my team cared about me, the other interns cared about me. And I care about them; there are people at Dropbox I'll miss a lot when I'm gone, something I wasn't able to say about my previous company.

Intern events are really great. The biggest one this summer was whitewater rafting - we all went out to a river and camped there for a weekend. I felt like sitting in our tents, with no internet connection, waiting for dinnertime and just chatting with the other interns was really relaxing and fun. I look back on that weekend really fondly - it's like an idealized summer camp experience that I never really experienced growing up.

They also gave me a ton of money, but come on, hopefully that's not your main reason for working somewhere. Along similar lines, the food is, of course, really excellent.

Cons

Even though I feel like I made several good friends in the short time I've been here, I still felt like it was somewhat difficult to find people that share my interests, especially because my interests seem to be kind of unusual (anime and algorithms, for example), and most people I've met with those interests tend to be young college students like me. If Dropbox had pushed me to socialize more and earlier, I feel like I could have gotten to know a lot of people well, rather than only really talking with them near the end of the internship and feeling regretful that I couldn't have gotten to know them better.

I think the work was interesting and satisfying, but not as much as my school courses are. Of course, that's my personal opinion, and I think I tend to like puzzle-y school things more than industry in general. Explain to me why Kruskal's runs in log-star time on sorted input and I'm a happy camper. I suppose my internship project seemed less consequential than, say, an intern project at a startup (where you might have a ton of responsibility). For me that didn't matter too much, but it seems to matter a lot to other people.

One result of receiving constant feedback was that I always had a target to reach for; I was always trying to improve. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it made me feel a little anxious most of the time; there isn't a point where you're told, "Okay, you're good enough, just keep doing what you're doing." Constantly pushing myself to be better felt, at times, a little exhausting.

Overall, I feel like there weren't many obvious/significant problems with Dropbox. The only things I could count against it are the things I don't even know about yet - only things that I suspect could be better, but am not sure about. Is there any company that really rocks at having interns make a lot of friends? Is there really an internship that lets me just solve puzzles all day, or do I need a Ph.D. for that kind of thing? It's hard to tell, since I don't have a wealth of experience at different companies.

Hands down the most exciting place to be right now!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time

Pros

Dropbox has the highest concentration of extremely intelligent, fun, and genuinely humble people I have seen. Everyone here -- from recruiters to engineers to chefs -- works really, really hard and is amazing at what they do. Folks are recognized by their work and not necessarily by how loudly they toot their own horn. There isn't a need for any strategic play / "networking" because most Dropboxers are actually interested in you and will want to invest in your growth whenever possible. The company is also extremely transparent, mirroring the strong sense of trust and respect within the Dropbox circle.

Cons

If you don't have top-notch work ethic, you will feel like a slacker here. There is no room for cruisers, which is what Dropboxers love! The demographic profile of the company is also diversifying (e.g., gender, age, non-technical background), which is great, but there is still some catch-up we need to do to meet those diverse needs (e.g., functional nursing rooms for young mothers). Fortunately, diversity is a top priority for the company and Dropboxers themselves are encouraged to find solutions for the gaps they notice (instead of just grumbling about them).

As we continue to grow at rapid speed, let's all do our part in keeping the bar as high as it was on Day 1, while staying humble.

Amazing place to work and learn.

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful office culture with awesome perks. Really smart and caring people.

Cons

There are a lot of empty promises being made to employees.

Awesome Summer Intership

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Dropbox as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone says their company has smart people, and Dropbox is no exception, but what most stood out to me was how incredibly nice everyone is. People are totally interested in seeing you grow, both personally and technically. After interning at a couple other major tech companies, I had a ton more freedom than I had anywhere else while interning at Dropbox. My team entrusted me with a ton of responsibility, and I was able to deliver. It was fun to meet the other interns, and there were a bunch of opportunities to meet other Dropboxers as well. All in all a pretty solid choice for an internship, and I may go back for full time!

Cons

In the future, it will be interesting to see how Dropbox develops. There's a lot they need to do to continue to be relevant, but I have faith that with projects like Mailbox and Carousel it could definitely happen.

They say iron sharpens iron. That statement couldn't be any stronger than at Dropbox.

I have been working at Dropbox as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

One of the best ways of learning new skills is by working with people who are smarter than you. This is one of the best things at Dropbox: everyone is such a strong contributor that you will always have more to learn.

People at Dropbox are as friendly as they are skilled. If you're having problems, help is just a desk or two away; people enjoy when you ask insightful questions, which goes a long way toward setting your mind at ease.

Also, the Tuck Shop is unrivaled, which is saying a lot since we're talking about San Fransisco here.

Cons

Impostor syndrome was a huge problem for me during my internship. Since everyone is so skilled, I often felt like the worst contributor on my team. If you have an ego, Dropbox will kill it with a vengeance. But you'll come out stronger for it.

That isn't to say you have to suffer. The people here are friendly and understanding. Most of them feel the same way and can help you. But it's there, and learning how to deal with it is tough.

Scale carefully. Dropbox can only continue to succeed if we continue to get good people here.

THE place to work at!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I feel surrounded by the most talented, creative, honest, humble, nice and happy people everyday, friends who really cares about you and your growth, and co-workers whom you can fully trust. I feel constantly challendge to achieve my fullest potential, and have the opportunity to make an impact on the product I am working on.

Cons

This place is most suitable for people with a lot of motivation and indepenence to drive the project along. other than that... a little bit too much fun everyday?