Dropbox

Dropbox Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Dropbox Founder & CEO Drew Houston

Drew Houston

Pros
  • The people are amazing, forget superficial coworker relationships(in 5 reviews)

• Generous perks - suite at AT&T park open to all employees, frequent parties, free food(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Disclaimer: Dropbox is NOT a place that does not support work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• 250 - of course there are going to be some growing pains(in 8 reviews)

Best decision I ever made

Marketing (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWorking at Dropbox was the best decision I ever made. I was a little wary before I interviewed, concerned that it might be just another hot tech company with inflated egos and over-the-top perks. Thankfully, these concerns were extremely far from the truth. I adore my team members -- they are incredibly talented, humble, passionate, hardworking, collaborative, and just generally good people.

The flat organizational structure means no one thinks twice about pitching in on something where their expertise is needed, and it also means that opportunities to get involved across a variety of different projects are yours for the taking.

The company is maniacally focused on doing the right thing for users, and on making beautifully simple products that genuinely make people's lives easier. So refreshing and motivating.

And of course, there are the perks :) The food is AMAZING, the gym and massages are awesome, etc. It really is the most incredible place to work.

ConsThere are definitely some growing pains; we've been growing so quickly that we've had to hack some solutions together. Now we need more established processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to our mission and values, and I'm confident we'll continue to thrive.

Brilliant employees, great perks, but increasingly cutthroat environment

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI have been at brand name companies (Google/Facebook), but the caliber of engineers at Dropbox is better. There is a healthy mix of new grads from top schools, industry veterans from brand name companies, and PhDs. Most engineers balance out delivering quickly and maintenance work.

Dropbox has the same perks Google and Facebook did. But our cafeteria food is MUCH better. Also, the company is in the city, so no long commutes to the South Bay if you choose to live in SF.

Compensation matches what I got at my previous employers. With the equity, there is a good chance of having a nice exit after fully vesting, but it's too late to get FU money unless the company get as big as FB.

ConsFeeling of impostor syndrome that I didn't have in Google or Facebook. Employees work brutal hours during the week and are actively on email during weekends. My impression is that I've had low output.

Expectation to deliver in very short time frames. Rank-and-file employees stick to choosing low risk projects or fear being managed out.

Excessively anal interview process, where candidates get a 'strong no' interview feedback for making small errors. At the end, diamond in the rough candidates never make it past the phone screen. Hiring managers decide to hire candidates only from brand name backgrounds, like MIT/Stanford/Google/Facebook, and tend to put disproportionate resources into 'diversity hiring'. Many candidates get shafted on unethical back-channel references.

Management is now discouraging anonymous feedback. Weekly Q&As are transparent, but are fewer and further between and are filled with fluff terms like 'Dropboxer' and 'Dropboxy' -- meaningless knock off of Googler and Googley. Management talks a lot about 'company values' or 'eng values', but this is a load of hot air. Employees in sales and bizdev are uncertain about the future of the company, while engineers remain uninformed.

Company is getting more corporate with institutionalized performance reviews and more recently a formal corporate hierarchy. The official rationale is to help inexperienced employees grow. This is bogus. Tech companies use these to demoralize and even terminate employees and justify Ops roles existence. Dropbox will be no different. Things that would actually help engineers grow -- engineer onboarding, technical code labs, and promise of autonomy -- are in a miserable state.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop looking to outside resources and institutionalize broken policies. This is messing the culture up and giving employees less autonomy.

My dream job

User Operations (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- I have a fierce respect and sense of adoration for the people I work with. My colleagues are helpful, they're ridiculously intelligent, and most importantly, they're down-to-earth, genuinely good people who are committed to creating something special.
    - Leadership is informed, capable, and does a great job empathizing with all areas of the company. Our office lead has spent time on every team to better understand what's working and what's not working so well. My team lead gives me the support I need to do my job well and gives appropriate feedback to help me perform even better. If something about my job is "broken," my team and my lead work together to fix it rather than say "there's not much we can do about that."
    - I am challenged to teach myself new things, and I'm also given the latitude to tackle projects that 1) appeal to me and 2) need to be done without the tons of red tape you might find elsewhere. I'm pushed to step outside my comfort zone without being overwhelmed. Also, I'm given lots of opportunity to be recognized for my work.
    - Every consideration has been made to ensure that our working environment is healthy, productive, convenient, and fun. The benefits are excellent. My stress levels are low. I look forward to coming to work.

Dropbox puts its people first, and we return the favor by working hard and thinking creatively every day.

Cons- It can be a challenge working with some users.
    - Dropbox is such a complex service that it takes awhile to learn the ropes, and a very long time to become a technical expert.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what our users are saying and devote as much time and energy as you can to fixing their (legitimate) pain points. Do more with less. Be concerned by competition, but also let it motivate you to achieve more than they can.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I couldn't care less about perks etc, I work here because the people are great.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe company has evolved a lot over the years and I think it's in a really great place right now. I'm happy whenever I'm working on interesting projects with people I respect - I think I got really lucky in that regard by coming to Dropbox. This is still a place for engineers with energy and drive to do great things.

The size of our infrastructure and technical challenges is much higher than people expect. I could be working on infra basically any company in the world right now, but I feel like I have the highest leverage and direct impact at Dropbox than at any alternative.

ConsIt's still a growing company and we need to keep scaling the organization. How well will we handle having remote offices, or more of an org chart, or scaling communications as the company gets big? No real problems right now, but it's still a work in progress. (This is something I enjoy by the way.)

Wonderful environment filled with amazingly smart and humble people

Sales (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI love working at Dropbox because the company really cares about our customers and our employees. I feel like my voice is heard and the work I do has an everyday impact on our base. The people are really smart, humble and all a little quirky - everyone works hard and sometimes long hours, but everyone also has some interest outside of work. I think this is really important and also lends to creating a more dynamic and interesting culture.

ConsThe company is at an interesting growth point right now - there are the normal growing pains you would expect from any younger company i.e. establishing career tracks. The upside is that Dropbox is aware of this and every team is actively working to make improvements.

Additionally, the environment is very fast paced and unstructured like most younger companies. I could see this being a huge challenge for someone coming from a job where they were told what to do and when to do it. You have to be comfortable with creating processes, taking the lead and pushing for change when you believe it's necessary - some people will thrive doing this and others won't.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer development is very important and I'm happy to see the company focusing on it.

They treat us really well

Helpdesk (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosvery democratic in all things
    humble
    accept criticism and work on it (campaigns encouraging diversity)
    amazing perks such as 3 gourmet meals a day, gym on site and additional stipend, travel benefits, luxury suite at AT&T park
    people are super smart and they only hire the best

Consgrowing super fast so there is a lot of change

Advice to Senior Managementkeep working on growth for employees.

Diverse, high-growth startup who knows how to have fun

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart people, driven to a common mission to make Dropbox great. Fun atmosphere to counter balance the hard work everyone puts into their own work. Everyone, despite their years of experience, values mastering their own craft. We take our work very seriously, but have we have a lot of fun along the way. As someone who is 40, I enjoy the atmosphere and I feel included in everything that Dropbox does.

ConsStandard growing pains of a high-growth company. Processes are still maturing and management staff is slowly growing. I'm confident we will work out the kinks, but in the meantime we have to endure many changes along the way. The good news is that the changes are in the right direction and every employee has direct input.

For those who are driven, creative, and super smart but down-to-earth and have high EQ/like positive people

ProsEveryone - from senior leadership to interns - is extraordinarily positive and committed to making the company the best place to work anywhere. That shows up in everything from benefits to the training process to how people work / communicate with each other.

ConsLike any start-up in hypergrowth mode, there are some growing pains and struggles to maintain the culture as the company gets bigger. Dropbox is also in a competitive landscape, so that's a risk--but the upside is incredible, and the journey so far has been more than worthwhile for me.

Wouldn't want to be anywhere else

Product Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- If you have a vision and can rally a team you can really get a lot done
    - Perks (food, gym, massage, food, company trips, happy hour, food) are amazing
    - I challenge you to find a better team of people to work with at any other company in the bay area
    - There are so many awesome things in the pipeline ;)

ConsThe company is growing rapidly so there are still some processes that are less than clear so you have to be comfortable with ambiguity. If you're looking for a small company then Dropbox isn't it and if you're looking for a large company then Dropbox isn't it either. This adolescent stage (just like your teenage years) can be a little strange sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is growing up, but it needs to stay Dropboxy!

amazing company growing strong

ProsI can talk about the food - best culinary team south of the French Laundry. I can talk about having a company box seat to the Giants games. I can even talk about the in-office massage, haircut, gym, gym-laundry service and commuter's benefit. But the best part of working at Dropbox is the brilliant engineers I get to learn from and work with and the focus with which we prioritize our objectives.

ConsAs other reviews have mentioned there remains a little bit of the "bro"-ish culture that's now starting to dissipate (at least in engineering) with the growth of the company. So not too big of a concern.

I wouldn't call this a con but there's more work to do here than you can count and we need more people working here. While the recruiting effort is genuine, there needs to be better maturity/experience around interviews (faster response time, consistent expectation/calibration) without lowering our bar.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company grows, having a better vision of compensation growth, stock refreshers, etc would be great. Knowing that the company values my continued presence and not just as pump-and-dump will go a long way in getting, and retaining, talent.

Worked for Dropbox? Contribute to the Community!