Dropbox

Updated December 15, 2014
4.9

Dropbox Founder & CEO Drew Houston
Drew Houston

Pros
  • I was a little wary before I interviewed, concerned that it might be just another hot tech company with inflated egos and over-the-top perks (in 8 reviews)

• Smart people, driven to a common mission to make Dropbox great (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Disclaimer: Dropbox is NOT a place that does not support work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• 250 - of course there are going to be some growing pains (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Medium sized tech company with small company feel. Young, humble, smart, quirky.

Current Employee - Strategic Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial, network of amazing people, insanely generous benefits, work-life balance

Cons

transitioning from start up feel to large company feel

Sales Executive

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-the security of a stable, name brand company
    -the excitement directly impacting the companie's trajectory
    -positive, caring culture

Cons

-lack of day-to-day structure
    -sometimes minimal training
    -"figure it out" mentality

(all of these are not necessarily cons)

Our management is the reason this company is so wonderful. It starts with Drew and Arash. I'm grateful to of had positive, supporting mentors here.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is good at identifying weaknesses in company culture/policies/direction and making changes. Very little dogma.

Extremely strong team, I'm constantly impressed and occasionally intimidated by how smart and effective my co-workers are.

Cons

There are a lot of growing pains. We've only had a year where we couldn't fit the whole company onto a single floor or a building, and there was a lot of communication we took for granted that doesn't happen anymore, especially between product/engineering and sales/support/marketing

Have more structured ways for people to learn new skills and try out new roles. It's hard to make time for personal development and isn't an explicit priority for many leads.

Best company I've worked at

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (less than an year)

Pros

After working at other major/top silicon valley companies, Dropbox is definitely the best company I've worked at. The level of technical talent here is better than pretty much any other company (and Dropbox maintains a high hiring bar to make sure that it doesn't drop). This provides a lot of opportunity for learning and means that I can fully trust my coworkers to produce excellent work. I also get a lot of control over what I work on and how it should be implemented. My manager/PM are always open to suggestions on how things should work from the technical to the product level, and I don't usually have to go through them anyway. Work/life balance is great. I don't work weekends at all and I have yet to go above 50 hours a week (not including meals at the office). Compensation is on par or better than any other company in SV and the perks are great (best food of any tech company!).

Cons

The company is still growing very quickly which means that a lot of the processes aren't as set in stone as they are at larger/more stable companies. This means that when trying to do certain things, no one really has a good idea of how to go about it (e.g. compensation reviews were only standardized relatively recently). This doesn't actually affect much in practice, however, as everyone I've met is more than wiling to work with you to make sure things are made right.

Dropbox is awesome

I have been working at Dropbox

Pros

Dropbox has an amazing company culture and drive to win. Great people, great benefits, great product

Cons

Work life balance can be hard

Amazing company, amazing product, amazing people and off-the-wall amazing food!

Current Employee - User Operations Team Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Operations Team Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are smart, engaging, passionate and interesting.
    The food we get each day is just outstanding - it's SF restaurant quality food.
    The office environment is fun and conducive to productive work happening.
    The perks are on par with the top companies.
    Work-life balance is great, considering how much work everyone still gets done.

Cons

The workforce is very young, so if you're over 30 you can feel very old ;-)
    The dental plan is Guardian, instead of Delta, but this is a VERY minor con.

Keep doing what you're doing. Get ahead of any conflict/politics issues - we will have them, so let's figure out how to best deal with them rather than pretend they don't exist.

As magic as the product

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Dropbox

Pros

At Dropbox you get to work with motivated talented people who truly own their work. Management is amazing, and even through the ups and downs they keep team morale up. You are independent, trusted, and valued as an employee.

Cons

It's growing and adjusting constantly. But that's part of the fun!

Keep the high bar for hiring, continue to communicate and explain decisions to the entire company!

Amazing company!

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Our founders -- Drew and Arash are amazing! They've built this tremendous company and yet are so humble and approachable. They are driving the best culture and values throughout the entire company.

People -- smartest, nicest people I've ever worked with. There are no politics, everyone watches out for each other and tries to do the best work of their lives.

Problems we get to solve -- we've built this simple, yet powerful technology that makes life easier.

Brand -- our users love Dropbox and they write to us almost every day. It's rare to get to work for a company that's loved for its products.

Perks -- OMG the Tuck Shop. Best food in the Valley, PERIOD.

Cons

What we're trying to accomplish takes a lot of effort. People often burn the midnight oil. That being said, the company is trying hard to give people the flexibility they need and is consciously focused on the needs of people with families (kids, etc.).

I think they're doing all the right things for the company, as we scale globally.

Pretty awesome, so far

I have been working at Dropbox full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are so many pros about working at Dropbox that I personally get to experience every day:

- Working on hard problems that I want to solve. Everyone here believes that a challenge is only worth your time if you're motivated to solve it and if it's worth solving (meaning it's hard and nobody has)
    - Flexible office arrangements in terms of time, location, etc.
    - The perks are incredible, starting and ending with the food. Best in the business, maybe the best corporate food on earth!

Cons

Dropbox is still growing extremely quickly and as such, many key areas lack infrastructure. People Operations (HR) is just starting to get their feet underneath them. Product decisions and prioritization of resources are just now starting to get a bit of objective process put behind them. There is always the typical rush to market with products that, while bug-free, may not have enough features to capture the space at launch time.

I like the trajectory that management is on right now. Focus on people development - help them understand their mid- and long-term goals, rather than what they hope to accomplish in the next 1-2 quarters.

A place to grow.

I have been working at Dropbox

Pros

Most talented team in the business. Very human and caring culture, but also holds people accountable.

Cons

Lots of people working really hard. Extreme competitors.