Drs. May-Grant Assoc.
www.maygrant.com Lancaster, PA 50 to 149 Employees

Drs. May-Grant Assoc. Reviews

Drs. May-Grant Assoc. – Lancaster – “Doctors at May-Grant”

Mona S. Engle

A great place to be a patient, a questionable place to be an employee

Lancaster, PA

ProsThe nursing staff, lab, ultrasound, IT and middle management are a great bunch of people to work with. The doctors, midwives and Physicians Assistants are top notch. Knowledgable employees with great bedside manners, professionalism and experience make this a great place to practice and to be a patient.

ConsUpper management is not honest with their employees. Employees are not given any choice in day to day decisions. They are told what to do, when and how to do it with no questions asked. There is much animosity among doctors and staff towards upper management, a lot in part due to the "quantity vs. quality" methods the upper management employs. There are constant battles to work patients (walk ins, late patients, unscheduled patients) in to see providers, lab, ultrasound, and NST at the demand of upper management. They then sit in their offices and bask in the glory of increased revenue at the expense of doctor and employee satisfaction as well as decrease in the quality of patient care in order to turn a buck. The practice is doing the patients a disservice by rushing through their appointments and tests, allowing for more mistakes and causing other patients to wait. Sessions constantly run past their time, with staff then being reprimanded for overtime. Doctors and other staff experience burnout from long days without breaks.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to attract and keep quality employees, treat them as the indispensable people that they are. They are what make your practice run and attratct and keep patients. They are a patient's first impression. If your employees and doctors are satisfied, your patients will be too. Respect, fairness, a non-judgemental environment without the possibility of harrassment and allowing staff to have choices in their job (even choices as minimal as uniform options) are some ideas that come to mind.

HR

Staff (Current Employee)

ProsThe Providers and Staff and Middle management

ConsHR person, micro management of Co.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and take a look at the great staff of people you have working at May/Grant

No Leadership

Lancaster, PA

ProsMy coworkers are great. The office location is great. The benefits are okay. Generally the work is good. The majority of the patients we see are thankful to have us.

ConsPractice management and lack of any leadership.
    Micromanagement
    Constant lying to staff by upper management
    Lack of communication by upper management
    Horribly low morale
    You can't trust the practice management
    Certain partners are just as dishonest and cannot be trusted

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new practice leadership. Quit enabling the regressive and oppressive behavior. The "girls club" has to go!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst place ever worked

Medical Staff (Current Employee)
    Lancaster, PA

Pros- Excellent staff to work with (nurses, doctors, lab girls, desk, ultrasound, department managers but not billing)
    - Highly competent doctors, NPs and midwives
    - Motivated team
    - Free pretzels in the break room
    - Working at satellite offices keeps things interesting

Cons- Practice management is dishonest and can not be trusted
    - Awful culture due to human resources and practice management constantly lying
    - "Girls Club" executive team (more like a bunch of BFFs than management)
    - The "Girls Club" has absolutely no leadership skills whatsoever
    - Most extreme micromanagement I have ever seen
    - Employees work 40 hours and are paid for 35
    - Employees are scared to bring up issues because they will be fired
    - Employees are forced out of the practice for going on FMLA
    - Benefits are constantly messed up because of incompetence
    - Uniforms are horrible and forced upon employees after having spent money on other uniforms
    - Practice management is vindictive and holds personal grudges against people

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the practice management and HR and start over before it is too late. I find it hard to believe that the partners are oblivious to the actions of the practice management and human resources department. Please, this has to stop! You've hired some good people withing the last year, but we're going to lose them if this mismanagement continues.

sick of it

Staff (Current Employee)
    Lancaster, PA

ProsI like the people I work with every day. We have fun and I enjoy helping patients. When we are left alone to do our jobs things are great. If it wasn't for the messed up management it would be a great place to work.

ConsWithout a doubt the practice administrator is like a dictator. Everything is micro-managed. Everything is meddled in. EVERYONE is unhappy - really everyone complains to each other every day. Only the inner circle of friends of the paractice administrator pretends to be happy but they are probably miserable too. Everything they say is a lie. No one could believe what goes on.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up partners. You have created a monster and you need to fix it. New practice administrator and new human resources are needed right away. You know you cannot deny that you know what is going on. People don't even feel safe at work. People are scared to take time off because they get ousted when they come back. No one can trust a word they say. What kind of place is that? You want to merge with another office, boy are they in for a treat when they see the true colors of the PA and HR.

Great floor staff and provider teams!

Medical Staff (Current Employee)
    Lancaster, PA

ProsThe floor staff and healthcare providers at Drs. May-Grant are an exceptional team of individuals. Each and every one of them is focused on providing exceptional customer service and serving the patients to the best of their abilities. I enjoy working at Drs. May-Grant Associates because of this - being part of this team makes me proud. I also enjoy the level of concern shown by the floor, desk, lab, and IT management teams. The size of the overall staff as well as the multiple physical locations are also attractive, we are large and not going away. The practice continues to grow in both physical size and it's ability for unparalleled patient care. Despite this growth, the comradery still exists and employees feel like part of a close-knit family. The organization has embraced technology and provides the floor staff with state of the art systems which allow them to do their jobs more effectively.

ConsThe largest "con" that comes to mind is the senior management. Unfortunately the practice management has created a culture of hostility and fear at Drs. May-Grant Associates. The lack of accountability for the practice management has allowed a culture of mistrust to flourish. Individuals are oppressed and do not speak up in fear of retaliation and losing their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is growing which is great, but the vast majority of the current staff do not trust the current executive leadership. The cost of this flawed leadership has been expensive in failed projects, financial costs (unnecessary spending), and employee turnover. The current leadership has only remained in place due to diffused responsibilities and the lack of accountability. Our vision statement says, "By embracing change and accepting that we can always improve, we will exceed patient's expectations and excel in clinical measures of care." Please hold true to this by accepting that we need to improve our senior leadership!

It is Time for a Change

ProsExcellent group of doctors, nurse practitioners, and midwifes to work with- highly competent. The current staff are an elite group of people who work hard and want to see the practice succeed. We are a growing practice that has numerous sattelite offices in various locations to offer our patients. We are a proud group of working people here for the community and enjoy caring for patients. The IT team has kept us current with the best in technology and performance of that technology so we can continue to provide quality patient care.

ConsUpper management is the con. It is so sad to sit back and see the employees be so oppressed by upper management. A good management would want to empower it's employees and provide them with the environment to excel and improve the practice. Instead, employees are continually under the thumb of the type of upper management that is run more like a dictatorship. Employees carry the constant fear of losing their job if they are not on the "favorites" list of management. The upper management attitude is if you are not happy, you can go somewhere else. Instead, shouldn't their concern be to find out why employees are so unhappy and work on fixing the problem. The morale is so low and the turnover rate is high. This speaks volumes! Middle management tries to help the employees, but they too are directed and oppressed by the upper management. It is very concerning to me that some of the partners in the practice are aware of these issues and may not think it necessary to take corrective measures. Is is appropriate to allow upper management to continue to treat your practice employees in this manner? On numerous occassions, management has lied to employees, middle management, and even the partners of the practice, and yet, they seem to backpeddle their way out of it. I would like to see all employees be held to the same standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementPartners- please help! Your employees are educated and smart people, many with higher degrees than your CEO(why is that), and have great ideas to offer your practice. We need a management educated person, with a MBA, in the CEO position. One who is open, receptive and treats all employees equally. Is that too much to ask?

A Shame to see where it has gone.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the providers are the Elite of the Elite. Most of them care to the utmost. The staff are a hard working class of people.

ConsOther providers burnt out years ago. A few are in the wrong buisness from graduation. The staff has a caring heart, but the upper management knows skillfully how to knock them down. If you have the misfortune to get on the wrong side of them they will find a way to make you part of history. There are rules, management and providers you dare not cross; and if you have an oppinion, God help you. Stop buying so many news papers to win, "Best OBGYN in Lancaster"; and start taking care of what you have to win "Best Employer".

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over. And give your middle management a say. Wake up before it's all over.

HR Department

ProsGreat patient care given by staff, including midwifes, nurses and Doctors. Physician standards are high and all patients are treated equally with care and compassion.

ConsUpper management seems disconnected from practice, with no recourse or accountability for their actions. Enviroment is not condusive to employee wellbeing, no open lines of communication are available between staff and upper management without the fear of termination.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs Physicians you have dedicated your energy and your lives to the care of others. Please evaluate your upper management so their self interests do not impact the standard of your practice.

What would make this a better place to work

ProsI work with very compassionate physicians, midwives, nurse practitioners. I am a patient as well as employee and could not ask for better care. I thoroughly enjoy working with most of my co-workers, and for the most part enjoy my job.

ConsI think management needs to try harder to improve employee relations and morale. Upper management really has no idea of the details involved with most positions within the office and are quick to make judgements and decisions without really considering employee input. There is a "clique" of some of the upper management team who do not seem to have the same rules as the rest of the staff. They do not lead by the example that they are setting themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at the Management team - do you trust their judgement entirely? Are they above the rules? Do you really know what is being done on a day to day basis. I know you are busy and this "team" was hired to take care of the business of our office but they too must be held accountable and reviewed by their peers. Unhappy employees will keep this practice from being the best that it can be. It seems to me that the majority of employees are dissatisfied - that should be red flag - something is wrong!

Worked for Drs. May-Grant Assoc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Drs. May-Grant Assoc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Drs. May-Grant Assoc. CEO Mona S. Engle. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Drs. May-Grant Assoc. employees.