Drybar Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
2.5

Drybar CEO John Heffner
John Heffner

Pros
  • Great opportunity to grow customer service skills, fun beauty culture, fast paced (in 3 reviews)

• free blowouts and good discount (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • back to back clients without time to breathe (in 7 reviews)

• We don't get properly compensated because managers and assistant managers are getting paid all the money, when they do less work (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great concept and values but negative work environment

I worked at Drybar part-time

Pros

Great spirit perpetuated amidst the higher ups.

Cons

It's a great side job. Not necessarily the place you can grow. Too much employee drama.

Tricky, tricky.

Current Employee - Stylist in New York, NY

I have been working at Drybar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Your usual shift will likely contain the same team members (weekday, weeknight, weekends). You quickly become family and mostly get along.
    - if you are good, talented, and well versed in communicating with your client, you will have a strong following of clients. You look forward to seeing them and speaking with them like a friend.
    - free blowouts during the week (during off time and must be clocked out)
    - 50% off products and tools
    - flexible with hours, specific shift needs, time off, etc. (stylists have an easy time, receptionists have a semi-decent attempt at this, but any higher titles have a much harder time with this)
    - expressive dress code. Lenient (maybe TOO lenient), stylish, fun, tattoos/piercings/oddball hair color & cuts are all encouraged.
    - rating system sent to clients as a push to get monthly bonus. Although small, it's a nice gesture. Get it 3 months in a row, you get a paid day off.
    - very good introduction to the beauty world. Great to do directly out of Cosmo school.

Cons

- corporate and upper management are completely clueless to the individual shop struggles.
    - has lost it's luster within the last year or 2.
    - high employee turnover rate.
    - shop managers and assistant managers are grossly overworked and underpaid. They are not required to have a Cosmo license or have hair experience because it "isn't a necessity" for them to be on the floor. They lack a relationship with their team due to a disconnect in work knowledge.
    - they have a "master stylist program" that has become increasingly disheartening. Many quit because of a misleading job description. They are required to have open schedules and no longer have client taking privileges because they are promised a huge impact job that will require their constant presence and help. In the end, you basically become a glorified receptionist/assistant with no hands in hair.
    - poor work/life balance in higher positions. You have to be willing to give up any chances of a social/home life if you want to work in the management or training teams. They have no flexibility or promise of a set schedule. You must make yourself available on phone and email 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    - must be "obsessed" with the Drybar way, otherwise they will never notice you. No raises, no chance of promotion.
    - managers and assistant managers have no qualms in showing favorites and have inappropriate/unprofessional conversations.

- Connect with your employees.
    - be a little more straightforward. You are so worried about the company's image, but what about the individual shops? Employees dress and act like pigs!
    - set up a secondary east coast corporate hq. West coast business and east coast business are NOT the same. The people are different and prefer different things.
    - just because the corporate team is IN Cali, doesn't mean they deserve all of the recognition. The surrounding shops are rarely recognized on social media, shout outs, and advertising/marketing.
    - stop opening new shops and review the old ones. They need renovating desperately. There is never money for anything and we're rarely given the "celebrations" and employee recognitions that we are promised.

Love your staff a little more...

Current Employee - Stylist in New York, NY

I have been working at Drybar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The stylists are amazing. you develop life long friends with such awesome people.
    -clients are also amazing. For the most time very grateful and happy with their hair which makes you, as a stylist, feel great!
    -visually, it's a beautiful and positive work environment. The colors make you feel happy and the music is fun
    -spa water is awesome haha

Cons

-stylists are paid 9/hr which is hard to survive in a city like new york
    -there's only room for growth into management, you will never get a raise otherwise
    -managers are under so much stress from corporate coming down on them and they take it out on their staff
    -managers will literally open fake columns in the books to bring in more clients (even though that means there's no stylist to take the client) which results in us being understaffed, running behind, and not getting breaks
    -if the shop is busy you will not get a break, even after 8+ hours of being there.
    -they will have you work double shifts which can be like 14 hours
    - you only get their advertised "health benefits" if you work 40 hours every week for each quarter. if not you don't qualify. so basically, if you're sick (which is what health benefits are for right?!) and you have to take time off..you wont get benefits.
    -you don't get vacation or paid time off unless you're in management, and again the 40hr rule applies.
    -turnover rate is so high. there's ALWAYS new people because nobody is happy and leaves
    -staff is over worked because we are always understaffed.

You guys pride yourself on being a family and having a great culture but it's a facade. You're so focused on money and numbers that you're forgetting what's important, and thats your staff. We are the reason your shops run the way that they do and if we're not happy you're shops won't run well. Stop opening new shops so quickly and focus on the problems that you're having. The staff is miserable and leaving. Don't you want people to love working there? If you just cared about us instead of thinking of us as a number people would stay. Stylists wouldn't want to leave, you're turnover rate wouldn't be so high, and stylists would want to grow with the company.

its okay

I have been working at Drybar

Pros

free blowouts and good discount

Cons

clients are rude, and hourly rate sucks

Fun Intro job in the Beauty Industry

Former Employee - Front Desk - Bartender
    Former Employee - Front Desk - Bartender

I worked at Drybar part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cons

When things run behind or stylists call out last minute things can get stressful

Mcdonalds Wages for Primo Job Duties

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Drybar full-time

Pros

I don't think there really is any. As a stylist I can do my own hair so that isn't really a huge perk.

Cons

Extremely low pay! How this business is still up and running is beyond me. They don'y care about stylists. Bartenders make more hourly and can still get Commission. Sad considering the stylist is the one who can talk about it fully. They also changed the commission structure a few months ago, so now stylists make even less and have to sell way more to even break even from before. Rent goes up but the pay doesn't.

I didn't pay 20,000 to work for 8.50

But thank you for all the customers that no longer come to dry bar because most stylists do house calls for them and customers see how badly run dry bar is and most know what the wage is.

Get a clue, PAY MORE. stop living well above your means. You are negatively affecting millions of lives by your selfishness

Stylist

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Drybar full-time

Pros

You don't have to have your own tools or products, great tips, fast pace, good bonuses & commission. High energy.

Cons

When it's slow your put on a break and sent home for payroll purposes.

Talk to stylist like they are ADULTS & not children.

Train the stylists properly!

Current Employee - Stylist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Stylist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Drybar part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool looking salon and decent products but....

Cons

training is awful! No guidance. The managers need to do demos for new stylists if Drybar wants everything done in such a specific way.

Train your staff properly and pay more!

Fun & Challenging

Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Drybar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment with incredibly talented and passionate coworkers. It's been a fun and challenging ride being a part of a company that has done so much to change the face of the beauty industry. I've been stretched and have worked on so many different projects and initiatives that I never thought I would get to be a part of. This company is like home and my coworkers are my family. I take so much pride in our Heart & Soul and am thrilled to be a part of it day in and day out.

Cons

There are definitely times where we're overloaded with all we're trying to accomplish and that can be difficult to maneuver through.

Fun environment, great tips, amazing co-workers!

Current Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Drybar part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-My coworkers are like my family. I seriously love seeing their faces every day. Every day.
    -Great tips and guaranteed pay. Not many salons offer that in my experience.
    -I get to be myself and dont have to wear all black everyday
    -Ive been able to pick up some clients for cut/color. The people on this site that complain are seriously not taking advantage of what Drybar offers.

Cons

-If soemone calls out w/o covering their shift its crazy. We sometimes go back to back without a break.