Drybar Reviews

Reset
2.4
Drybar CEO John Heffner
John Heffner

Pros
  • Great opportunity to grow customer service skills, fun beauty culture, fast paced (in 3 reviews)

• free blowouts and good discount (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • We sometimes go back to back without a break (in 6 reviews)

• We don't get properly compensated because managers and assistant managers are getting paid all the money, when they do less work (in 4 reviews)

1. meh

I worked at Drybar full-time

Pros

Good networking to find more clients.

Cons

The equipment sucks. Not enough pay for what the company is actually making. sweatshop situation.

Advice to Management

Raise hourly pay. Get lighter and stronger blow dryers and better brushes.

Bad management

Former Employee - Front Desk in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in San Diego, CA

I worked at Drybar (Less than a year)

Pros

Made some good friends and enjoyed making relationships with regular clients.

Cons

Pay does not reflect the amount of work involved. No upper management support or help. I easily could've done a better job at being a shop manager.

Advice to Management

Be a manager not everyone's best friend.

3. gain Experience, knowledge, but you have you work hard for it.

Current Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Stylist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Drybar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible always busy tips are personally yours to keep free blowouts (some shops have certain days) 50% off product Grow in the hair artistry part of it many people complain about the back to back clients but we all knew how busy the job was going to be when we first decided to go to school for it. I best see it as experience and a time to learn. if you stick with the basic work and choose to not learn then you won't gain anything out of the job. although we may not have time to sit and learn from a shop educator, who says you can't get creative during and up do. many people are scared of up do's and steer clear away from them. yes, I understand we do have some clients who come in with wild (yet beautiful) ideas that we know required add on hair pieces. it's up to us to let them know what's realistic for their hair without those added bunches of extra pieces (unless they have those hair pieces).

Cons

back to back clients-- we all knew how busy the job of a cosmetologist would be when we started going to school for it. I'm not sure why people aRe surprised. the more clients, the better. people forget the good in it and tend to lay back on "not getting paid enough". yes, I admit the pay isn't great, but if you sit around and do the minimum that's required then you'll receive the minimum you can get. if you try extra hard to make someone hair look fabulous then that's a definite extra $10-$20 tip that you have the possibility to come to YOU every week or so.

Advice to Management

I think it has a lot to do with certain shops. my locations management is great and very willing to accommodate.

5. Stylist

Pros

Great team, great management, innovative

Cons

Not always busy, early hours

Advice to Management

More training

Drybar

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Drybar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% discount on all products Free blowout for self Flexible hours when initially picking schedule Hourly plus commission on some upservicing Open dress code (jeans, black, white, gray or yellow)

Cons

If salon is not busy stylist get cut. You get a text an hour before your shift if they need to have you come in later or if they cancel your shift. On busy days they have more stylist then chairs so you have to do your consult@the shampoo bowl and wait for a station to open up. Time constraints on the blowout if you go over the allotted time (45 minutes total) management complains. Brushes are only cleaned at night, only hair is removed (semi) between guest. Cheap products (you have to use a lot for any results I.e. palm sized amounts of shampoo) Minimum wage

Advice to Management

Invest in products that work not just smell good. Higher hourly wage

Great idea .. But

Current Employee - Bartender in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Bartender in New York, NY

I have been working at Drybar part-time

Pros

Made some really good friends while working here.

Cons

Their only concern is keeping hours low which translates into a lot of frustrated stylists and bartenders having to come into work and getting paid for maybe half of the time.

Don't do it.

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Drybar part-time

Pros

- products smell good - some good coworkers - okay clientele -employee discount

Cons

- products smell good, but aren't that great for styling. Same with tools - management sucks and plays favorites - 45 minutes is given as a time limit for people who have thick, course, and long hair. Its not enough time. - not enough hours

Advice to Management

Treat your stylists better and fair! Stop playing favorites! This place is the equivalent of Great Clips, but for blow drying.

9. Great opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Shop Efucator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shop Efucator in Houston, TX

I worked at Drybar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love the fact that we focus so much on education and the fact that there is always someone like me to help out with a client when things start to go south!

Cons

Training is tough when stylist don't have models to work on. Especially when the stylist needs lots if work. Blow drying is so new to the hair industry!

Advice to Management

Great growing company!

Gross

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Drybar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dresscode, some of the customers and the discount, all of us have the few same things to say because there really isn't anything else good here

Cons

The turnover is awful because nobody can handle living on the hours that we have to work You are sent home on slow days but on busy days you are forced to work 10 or more hours because they have no staff and they overbook us at all times. It is chaotic all of the time. District management is a joke. They can't even order enough supplies so we can do our jobs. When we run out of towels they make us blowdry dirty towels to reuse on customers , and if you say something about it you can lose your job. We hire 2 people and lose 4 because the management does not know how to treat people. It didn't use to be this way. I look at my job and think that if I werer a customer I wouldn't want to come here because we all look miserable and for reals , the towel thing, you never know what you will get. Not to mention a nasty trainer that comes in once in a while and stands there and tells us what to do but leaves as soon as things get tough with customers. Zero support. Overpriced sweatshop is for sure what this is.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your reviews and your turnover. If you choose to ignore it because of all the favoritism and you are all friends who post stuff on IG about your partying then you will keep losing all your good people because we aren't blind to it. You have the leaders thinking they are untouchable because everyone knows that there is a clique in upper management. You all party together and don't care about us in the stores. Go ahead, prove us wrong. stop doing fake investigations and saying there is no proof. we all know that you are just ignoring the huge amount of employee complaints because your friends. Just based on the large number of complaints something should be done. But it isn't Actions speak louder than words We get it, you don't care - so neither do we, We will just clock in and do lousy hair, and leave

Dont Waste Your Time...ZERO STARS

I worked at Drybar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Over the years I meet some great employees. And a client who took me to my new position.

Cons

NO breaks Cutting hours excessively to keep labor low on the east coast. Clients are ALLLOWED to be rude and disrespectful to the staff because corporate always it. You are threatened with write ups for not selling products. All the good managers are leaving due to corporate. The pay is HORRIBLE They just started giving raises but that is a joke since clienta surveys count towards your raise. Clients write reviews to recieve free services. Tips go missing Horrible stylists are promoted to asst managers then they become store managers when they have no idea what theh are doing. They are rude and disrespectful with tbe shop manager is not around. Nothing happens to them but we would be written up. The district managers could careless what is happening at a shop. The owener worries about things that do not matter but could careless what is really happening. Shop educators are a joke. My shop educator had no idea what they job title meant or what to do at all. If you want to move up in the company. You will have to come in on your own time to work and train for FREE. They do not pay for training. Everything at drybar is about looks. Ever shop is understaffed and they cant get employees to work at drybar.

Advice to Management

Run far away from them, ypu are woth more and can land a better job. Higher management show appreciation to your managers because your good ones keep leaving and your replacements for them are a joke.

RSS Feed </> Embed