Drybar

Updated January 24, 2015
2.7

Drybar CEO John Heffner
John Heffner

Pros
  • Great opportunity to grow customer service skills, fun beauty culture, fast paced (in 3 reviews)

• free blowouts and good discount (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • stylists never get a break we had to keep handing them tickets back to back because of overbooking (in 6 reviews)

• We don't get properly compensated because managers and assistant managers are getting paid all the money, when they do less work (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Company Ever!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Drybar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is like having a second family.
    Learn from new people everyday

Cons

There are no cons here

Keep up the great work!

Love hate relationship

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in New York, NY

I have been working at Drybar part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working with some of the most creative stylist I've ever met and being able to do what I love everyday.

Cons

Scheduling, No breaks, overbooking, unprofessional/useless management, nasty clients, Under compensated for the amount of work being done/and the time it takes, way too much pressure to work quickly, "McDonald's" and "Starbucks" feel

-salon managers should be hair stylists with experience managing stylists.
    -breaks are necessary for us to be as efficient as we can be.
    -create a better space for stylists to take breaks

Hood Winked

I have been working at Drybar

Pros

Meeting knew people. Enhancing your styling skills. Some clients are very kind. Pay and tips are good when it's good.

Cons

I came to Drybar very unbiased. I read all the employee reviews negative and positive. The atmosphere is very fake and competitive. If you are not a favorite management will have no qualms with letting you know that whether it be directly or indirectly and if you are a good stylist and management does not like you you will be taken advantage of and left to feel under appreciated. What's really sad about this is the founders have no clue that the mission statement that supports their business is being undermined by people who are not genuinely kind.

Favoritism may be legal but it is very unethical and distasteful and it says alot about who you are when your shifts are over.

Currently Employed here

I have been working at Drybar

Pros

Fast-Paced
    Hours
    Great Location
    Friendly Workers and Managers

Cons

So far there are none

Fantastic

Current Employee - Stylist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Stylist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Drybar full-time

Pros

the music, The management buys you food. Building a clientelle, you actually have clients all the time

Cons

working around other stylists who don't want to work and just complain

keep doing what your doing

just started and I love it

Current Employee - Stylist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Stylist in New York, NY

Meeting new people
    Learning to work in a fast paced environment

Cons

It just opened so not too many clients yet

Was enthuastic

I have been working at Drybar

Pros

Meeting other great stylists. That's it

Cons

I was enthuastic about this brand and company. M but now it's only to pay my bills i will be making other plans and knock back days once my own client picks up. dry bar the brand is great but the people managing aren't the best n don't care they get paid regardless... n i feel sorry for the owner... because once ppl loose site of a vision beca use they get paid regardless... it ruins ur credibility. Or are u just as money hungry as ur management.... no one ever stays past 2 yrs if they haven't advanced. Having open auditions is great but now everyone can make the cut... but no one wants to stay where they aren't appreciated...

Who cares

You won't feel like a hair stylist

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Drybar full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Extremely flexible schedule (ideal p/t)
    Dress Code (more diverse than most NYC salons)
    They will educate you on how to service the clients if you do not already have the skills

Cons

You are only worth what you can do right then and there. Talented and versatile stylists will feel underappreciated and restricted.
    The hourly wage is a joke and do NOT expect to make more than $5-10 a client on average in tips.
    Zero valuable incentives (The incentives offered often do not make up for extra time spent with each client)
    The clients are the worst. If they are not silent and super picky, they will be disrespectful and direct you through the entire blowdry. Remember that you are servicing a clientele that cannot afford a salon blow-out with their personal stylist, Drybar offers them an affordable alternative.

Bi-Level pricing (Every shop I worked in had a pretty distinct separation between stylist's in terms of previous experience, technique, and client retention.)
    Commission on blow-dry's (At least $2-3)

I wanted to love it.

I worked at Drybar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amongst all the cons there are a few pro's. I liked my co-workers and my poor underpaid overworked manager and I learned a few things so that's important for sure. Flexible-ish scheduling and easily able to transfer to other stores in different states. More organized than other blow out bars but not by much.

Cons

Oh man.. here we go... First off, the pay. We get paid 8.50 an hour which, after taxes, is almost 8.00 an hour. We are also taxed on our credit card tips so we don't make the entire amount of our gratuities. I paid $15,000 to go to cosmetology school and get my license and at this salon I was making less than an employee who works fast-food or waits tables. Things that you don't necessarily have pay for two years of education to do. This is a skilled service that not all hair stylists can perform or are even good at and at this establishment there is almost no way to create a situation in which you will make more money. Even management gets a flat salary with no raise and must be available 24/7 for Drybar. Our commission incentives have been cut in half, for reasons I can only assume, are to make more money for the company. Shareholders and all that jazz. They don't tell you when you start that this is a part time job for which you will need a second income to make ends meet. They want you to work as if this is your full time job and to devote all your time and energy to Drybar, as if you would reap some benefit from doing so.

I really wanted to love it here. It's a wonderful concept but it seems the only way they can make enough money to be the multimillion dollar company that they are is to short change their employees. You will not receive a break at Drybar if you don't work in California and even if you do work in Cali, not all stores will give you a break. It's wonderful that we have so much business but it is also important that your stylist doesn't pass out from being on their feet and from not having eaten or used the bathroom for eight hours. I think Allie Webb is great and she's done a great job marketing and creating her vision and a culture which people are loyal to and will follow. But along her journey to success, it seems she's forgotten one very important thing. Her stylists. The people who actually make her salons run. Drybar has done a very good job in making us all feel like sweatshop workers and like we are replaceable and maybe we are. But, in my humble opinion, one cannot create a lasting business that will thrive for very long if they don't also place value on all their employees. It seem corporate America has set a very poor example for Allie Webb, one that she has followed to the letter. Make as much money as I can for the higher ups and everyone else is replaceable. If your company cannot make a decent profit while paying your workers a living wage, you simply, should not be in business.

To wrap up my long winded attempt to help you understand why Drybar has so many negative reviews from their work force, I just want you as a stylist or just a person in general, to know that you are valuable. Don't let a large corporation like Drybar or any other make you feel like you aren't. Don't fool yourself into believing that you deserve to be treated this way or that it's normal and you're just "paying your dues". It is not okay to take advantage of your work force this way and very soon the minimum wage hike will set to right this situation. Let's see how well Drybar's format works while being forced to pay their employees a living wage. Let's just see.

I can't offer any advice to the management as they are not empowered to implement anything I would suggest. The changes have to come from the top and I don't believe they care enough about the opinions of their work force to even waste my breath.

nothing but games

Former Employee - Stylist in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Stylist in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Drybar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I wouldn't consider there to be any pros about working here...maybe the co workers that u meet but they pretty much make it hell

Cons

hire alcoholics who end up drinking the clients drinks in the back room (I mean real alcoholics)
    favoritism
    bullying
    harassment
    bartenders steal tips
    lack of respect. period.
    it's nothing but a sweat shop
    you are lucky if u even get to pee during your shift
    clients attitudes towards stylists suck
    management only cares about the shop being clean when they are about to get a bonus
    Drybar Bethesda is literally hell.

get rid of the real cancers.