DuCharme, McMillen & Associates

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
3.9

Dave Meinika

A great place to kick start your career

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at DuCharme, McMillen & Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great thing about working at DMA is the Flex time, vacation time, the competitive pay, the company outings which enhances your teamwork skills as well as shows appreciation and the management is friendly, helpful and encouraging. Also the ability to work independently without being micromanaged. I have no complaints; it was the best decision I've made thus far.

Cons

I'd prefer more hands on training for the people who learn by doing instead of reading.

I think the Management team is great. my only advice would be to continue training and talking with staff and engaging them with feedback in the areas that are open for improvement. I totally love my manager and thankful that I am apart of her team.

DMA has a great culture with the employee ownership approach.

I have been working at DuCharme, McMillen & Associates

Pros

Great opportunity to work with an Industry leading company.

Cons

Travel time can be a challenge.

Best in the Business

Current Employee - Manager - Tax Technology in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Manager - Tax Technology in Edina, MN

I have been working at DuCharme, McMillen & Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Minnesota office is located in the Centennial Lakes complex in Edina overlooking the lake. You have the ability to grow with a company that is ESOP and provides every opportunity for you to succeed. Continue to see record growth each year. Ability to travel the world.

Cons

The only cons are if you do not like to work hard and have to travel. Since the company is growing rapidly there is a lot of work and opportunities that will increase hours and the need to travel.

I cannot say how much I love working for DMA. It is very encouraging to see the drive of our leadership to better the company and our employees. I am very excited for the path that we are on and continuing to grow with DMA.

A long term career opportunity

Current Employee - Director National Accounts in Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Director National Accounts in Windsor, CT

I have been working at DuCharme, McMillen & Associates

Pros

Significant opportunity for exposure to clients and personal impact on operations and the firm's results. Not many layers of bureaucracy, unlike some larger firms in the industry where that can be stifling. A rare example of a very successful, employee-owned firm with the opportunity to benefit from stock appreciation based on results, in addition to fair overall compensation and benefits. Ethical upper management that is strategic and long term focused, with a track record. They have been good to me. I found it to be an interesting life, in which I was able to focus on my strengths, work around some weaknesses, learn about client operations and be a producer for the clients and firm on a very long term basis.

Cons

For most professional consulting positions, travel is part of the job which is not for everyone and can be challenging at times. Others love it. It is not a partnership like a Big 4 firm, which could be a plus or minus depending on one's perspective. I chose not to go that route and have no regrets.

Satisfying career path with opportunities to engage in multiple facets of the firm's overall business.

I have been working at DuCharme, McMillen & Associates full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The office culture lends to entrepreneurial spirit, with a compensation structure designed to incentivize based on performance. Employee owned company where effort is certainly rewarded. DMA is moving to be more receptive to flexibility geared toward enhancing work/life balance.

Cons

Can tend to become top heavy in some areas, which may inhibit opportunities for growth within certain practices. Management heavily involved throughout the organization which sometimes leads to slow response time on certain routine matters.

Only advice would be to continue to provide opportunities for growth through increased training and involvement of all staff.

Director

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

Pros

National scope and the opportunity to work with some of the most highly-regarded large corporations in North America. Yet, still of a size where individual contributions are noticed, recognized and handsomely rewarded. Entrepreneurial atmosphere, with great flexibility - a good degree of autonomy while still being part of a very talented team and network of experienced professionals. Good management over a long period of time, with continual and sustainable growth, while being financially prudent. Excellent place for a long-term career, and plenty of opportunity for high-performers who don't mind their compensation being tied directly to their results.

Cons

The nature of the tax consulting industry and DMA's commitment to clients can sometimes require long hours and extensive travel. Some people will thrive on that, while others could find it overwhelming. DMA places high importance on the quality of work and client-care, so it isn't an "easy" job.

Keep up the good work. Continue the strategy of sustainable growth and the attention to incremental improvement in efficiency and margins. Continue to recognize and reward the high-achievers and those exhibiting the desired DMA-traits that will ensure our continued long-term prosperity.

DMA is a great place to build a career.

Pros

The people are top-notch -- very experienced, talented individuals who work well as a team to accomplish their goals and objectives. The company is employee-owned, which translates to a culture built on shared success. The culture is based on values of integrity, honesty, shared ownership, teamwork, flexibility, results, and continuous improvement.

Cons

Navigating the politics at the upper management level is tricky.

Stable, family oriented company with long-term and high values that have a proven track record of success.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at DuCharme, McMillen & Associates

Pros

Business culture that is family oriented at the core. Solid benefits, job flexibility, and promotion opportunities are steady. Company continues to look for growth both in existing business model and new areas of tax consulting. Compensation is competitive to start but has high ceiling of incentives with the right focus and drive. Great company if you want to work with great professionals who can balance business with company camaraderie. Several 10 plus year employees on board which further displays the stability of this company.

Cons

Job does require travel, planning/scheduling and has forced deadlines that can be a strain if not properly prioritized. Communication is a very important skill to have to effectively work within a team or lead a team in this company.

Management has been very solid through the years with a solid core group that has been around 15 plus years. Interjecting the future leadership seems to be a need moving forward. We are building that depth/foundation in the service sector, but do not see that happening at the high management level.

Exceptional, pleasant, focused, hard working employees, great work-life balance, benefits & compensation.

Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Indiana in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Good work-life balance, flex time and competitive pay. Opportunities are there - prove yourself - and they will help you succeed. No micromanaging.

Cons

Training needs to be improved throughout the Company. Managers do not give face-to-face time for feedback. Top management has a lot of years of experience only at DMA - no outside experience.

Be open to change. Know that we all work for the same company and have the same end goal in mind. Take advise from the employees that have the experience in their field that you do not have.

DMA Review

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at DuCharme, McMillen & Associates full-time

Pros

Relaxed and flexible work environment. Polite and diplomatic co-workers.

Cons

Average salary. Management is sometimes difficult to reach.