DuPont

DuPont Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

DuPont Chairman & CEO Ellen J. Kullman

Ellen J. Kullman

Pros:
  • "Salary, benefits, work-life balance, most people are good to work with"
    in 47 reviews
  • "The core values that have been established creates a safe and respectful environment"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Below average rate of project progression due to deliberate, data driven, decision making"
    in 13 reviews
  • "One of DuPont 'Core Values' is 'Respect for People', and they hold this out as their flagship core value"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Decent company to work for if you're just looking for a paycheck.

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at DuPont full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, flexible schedule, low standards

ConsCompany is pretty content with the status quo. Don't push for change or new ideas. Employees who follow the rules and don't do anything wrong are celebrated, while those who challenge the existing way of thought and try to innovate are not valued.

Advice to Senior Management1. Raise your standards for hiring new employees. 2. Put those employees in roles that are best suited to their strengths. 3. Give those employees the freedom to be creative problem solvers within the scope of their role. 4. Sit back and reap the rewards.

Fair company to work for with strong values and lots of opportunities

I have been working at DuPont full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou keep growing in your career if you deliver

ConsSome limitations when you drive change. Needs new generations in leadership to drive change more agressively

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreased speed of response needed

Great place to work.

Machine Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at DuPont full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible work/life environment, good pay, good benefits, satisfying work, everyone that works here will treat you with respect.

ConsNot sure where the company is headed and why, need to get back to the roots that built the company.

Great place to learn as an intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DuPont as an intern for less than a year

ProsI was given real projects that actually impacted the plant (as an intern). I had coaching and help when necessary but was also allowed to run with things on my own. All of the people there were extremely friendly and you could tell that everyone felt valued.

ConsThe plant I worked at was a little bit far from home. Also, I didn't do a whole lot of extremely technical projects, but that will vary from site to site.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring interns.

Great to start my career

Mechanical Engineer Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at DuPont full-time for more than a year

ProsLearning much and good to start your career

ConsToo much work to do

Advice to Senior ManagementLife and work balance

Good company, currently going through a lot of changes and turmoil

Sourcing and Logistics (Former Employee)

I worked at DuPont full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStrong culture of safety and ethics. Generally respectful environment to work in. Not at top of peer group, but decent pay scale.

ConsStill working on truly being diverse. Huge gap in age/ experience level... despite a relatively recent push for increasing new hires, the majority of employees are experienced people 10 years or less from retirement. Lots of churn as huge chunks of traditional DuPont businesses are being sold and new bio-tech and agricultural companies are being bought.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't put all your eggs into the bio-tech/crop basket. Keep a diverse mix with traditional businesses, especially if they are profitable, to fund the new direction.

25 years in manufacturing management and 18 years in Human Resource Management

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at DuPont full-time for more than 10 years

ProsScience oriented company with strong HR policies and programs aimed at employees welfare and success.

ConsTraditional company with strong corporate values

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive business results and employee development.

Experience in DuPont's new-hire commercial development program

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at DuPont full-time for more than a year

Pros-Great work/life balance: it's easy to stop working at 5:01 and not have to worry about anything until the next work day.

-Solid pay/benefits: as a member of the sales team, I was given a company car, phone, and iPad, with the gas and monthly plans all paid for.

-Incredibly helpful employees: as a new hire working with people that had been at DuPont for decades, everyone was quite friendly and helpful as I got started in the working world. No one seemed threatened by my presence, and most were happy to pass along knowledge about the industry and company.

-DuPont takes care of its own. If you're looking for a place to work the rest of your life, DuPont is for you. Many employees have worked here for decades and have only good things to say about the company.

Cons-The size and age of the company makes it a pain to implement any sort of change. Bureaucracy is the name of the game. Most employees are old (the average age is about 50), and many lack even basic technical knowledge about email, smartphones, IT, etc. There's definitely a "we've always done it this way" sort of feeling when it comes to making any changes. People really have to be convinced something is broken before they get around to fixing it. There's very little proactive change, especially from management.

-People are valued based on how long they've been at the company, not on how well they contribute. If you're looking for a place where you can come in, make a difference, and be rewarded for it, look elsewhere. However, there's a silver lining in that you can show up, put in the bare minimum, and not be punished for it.

-Experiences at the company vary drastically by business unit. If you're in a BU that's doing well (such as our seed company Pioneer), you'll have the time of your life. But god help you if you get stuck in something like Titanium Technologies, where commodity markets determine a good chunk of business success.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop BSing when it comes to the development program. Don't make it seem like an amazing opportunity when it's really little more than an entry-level position with a few weeks of training during the year. It's not that it's a bad program; it's just that people become disappointed when you sell a dream that never comes to fruition.

Human Resource - 1-800-Who Cares

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at DuPont full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe "pros" are quickly going away. I am concerned about new employees dues to very poor training practices.

ConsIf you want an HR group that manages from the office - this is the place to be. Silly policies based on lack of employee input. HR is not willing to listen but very good at "here's the way it is going to be" approach. Most employees have not even met the HR group except during new hire sessions. What a joke!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHow many times to you have to say it - LISTEN, GET OUT and meet your employees. Email and plant posting are not interactive discussions. Since you always follow other corporations (versus creating your own new ideas) then at least find complanies that have good ideas.

They are liars and thieves.

Mechanical Engineering (Current Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I have been working at DuPont full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are none this employer steals money from it's employees when they purchase vacation time.

ConsBig company that has lost sight of its roots.

Worked for DuPont? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DuPont reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DuPont CEO Ellen J. Kullman. All 302 reviews posted anonymously by DuPont employees.