DuPont Pioneer

Updated Apr 4, 2014

DuPont Pioneer President Paul E. Schickler

Paul E. Schickler

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A good place to work, and grow

Research Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThis is a very fair place to work. They have good hourly wages for unskilled or temporary workers, and they do have fairly good benefits when a full-time position is achieved.

ConsThe benefits are not TOTALLY awesome, especially after recent insurance adjustments. But I am confident these matters will even out in a couple more years when Affordable Care Act is more fully implemented.

Exceptional

Rese (Current Employee)

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is an exceptional place to work. I have found it extremely rewarding and the culture is based about the growth of the employee. The company seems to be run by level headed people that care about the business and more importantly about making a difference in the world.

ConsEach year the larger Dupont seems to play a greater role in the company. I am not sure that is such a good thing. The benefits under Pioneer are exceptional and that is swiftly changing to come in line with Dupont. Some of the benefits are being lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to follow the core values of the company and if possible make a smoother transition to DuPont.

DuPont Pioneer

Research Scientist (Current Employee)

ProsColleagues are great
Salary is better than average
Location in the MidWest is great for families

ConsDuPont cost management. Focus on Finance reporting areas and not on the science processes that lead to products.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand it is a company founded on Biology and Plant Breeding and not nice little buckets of effort that finance can report on. Use the Long Look in all parts of business, especially considering growth. It seems like we are too worried about the quarterly numbers.

Good company that needs better management in IT

IM Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAttracts sharp people from all over the world. The company has been doing well over the past several years and it was fun working for a company that is growing when the rest of the economy was not doing so well

ConsThey over do their core value trainings.Research management is not very clear on setting priorities and is not effective at stopping projects that are going no where. There is more talk about doing so. Too many incompetent managers are in charge of really talented individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentifying internal talent and creating opportunities for them is needed. It has become clear that management plays favorites when it comes to promotions, and it does not feel decisions are merit based. There will be more attrition as the economy picks up!

Rewarding work if you can stand the politics

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than 5 years

ProsReally meaningful work as part of a fascinating industry

ConsCorporate structure and too many "leaders" leaves this place without clear, concise direction. It equates to a burdensome level of politics and poor morale for mid-level and entry level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Assess who is capable of being a leader of people and who can really drive change.

Excellent place to work and learn.

Finance Intern (Current Employee)
Johnston, IA

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer as an intern for less than a year

ProsHave real hand-on experience on Projects, you can actually see your achievement; Nice work atmosphere, a lot of chances to meet high level persons and communicate with them; Plenty of internal learning resource and job opportunities.

ConsI don't see any cons right now.

Midwest Nice

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly and enjoyable work environment, lots of nice people. Not every group is as described in the Con section.

ConsResearch is often done in silos, leading to duplicated efforts or inefficient studies because someone was too insecure to ask others who knew more. On the other hand, the alternative is that that someone takes credit for the help that was actually asked for and received.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is too much nepotism in hiring and promotions.

DuPont pioneer

Sales Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company to work for. Excellent benefits, strong commitment to core values and engages employees to do work that matters.

ConsLots of levels to decision making, which slows down momentum in changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to engage and empower your workforce.

Great place to work with good-natured people and meaningful work.

Senior Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, flexible hours, safety-driven.

ConsUpper management (department specific) often fails to recognize and acknowledge the quality efforts put forth by subordinates.

Overall Great Company To Work For!

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome benefits like cheap health insurance and 6% matching 401k contribution in addition to a 3% automatic contribution, so you can put in 6% of your salary and the company contributes 9%. The 3% automatic contribution just started last year to replace half of their traditional pension plan benefits.

ConsThere are good managers and bad managers. If you have a good manager your life is great, if you have a bad manager you job isn't so enjoyable.

Worked for DuPont Pioneer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DuPont Pioneer reviews and ratings in Johnston, IA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DuPont Pioneer CEO Paul E. Schickler. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by DuPont Pioneer employees.