DuPont Pioneer Reviews

Reset
3.6
DuPont Pioneer President Paul E. Schickler
Paul E. Schickler

Pros
  • and the work life balance is one of the best in the industry (in 10 reviews)

• good benefits, large team, a lot of good people (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Working extremely long hours in summer months (70-80 hours, nice if paid hourly) with 40 hour weeks in the winter months (in 9 reviews)

• The upper management tells us we need to work harder, when we are already working our hardest (in 5 reviews)

1. quality people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, IA

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Like company philosophy. Good place to work if you like ag, agronomy, molecular biology.

Cons

Corporation. Over time, projects and people are changed, let go.

tired of being chumped

Current Employee - Research Manager in Johnston, IA
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Johnston, IA

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer (More than 10 years)

Pros

some really intelligent employees with a good work ethic better pay than academia

Cons

1) upper management lacks good leadership and cannot be trusted; for example they had an incentive plan in place and then after the year was over and the monetary reward was to be distributed they decided to not give the pay to the employees 2) salary workers are expected to work overtime but not given the tools to do their job efficiently 3) processes put into place that make extra work for employees to do the job for which they were hired, while the company cuts computer programmers, human resources departments, and administrative staff 4) benefits have been on the decline starting in 2010

Advice to Management

Pioneer is a research company. If you want innovative scientists and good employees, work on getting the day to day obstacles out of their way so that they can do the jobs for which they were hired. Also, treat your employees with respect.

3. Great Internship Experience

Former Intern - Intern in Johnston, IA
    Former Intern - Intern in Johnston, IA

I worked at DuPont Pioneer as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people Freedom over the direction of your assignment Flexible hours Want you to succeed - cares about what you get out of the internship Opportunity to learn outside of your area

Cons

Office culture isn't the most exciting - but what company is? Difficult things happening internally - a bit awkward at times Confusion between DuPont & DuPont Pioneer

Advice to Management

I didn't interact with upper-management very much, with the exception of my direct supervisor so I don't feel as if I have much to say about this.

High-paced, Well-Compensated Research Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, IA

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits Very friendly company culture I appreciate the local people here and find it to be a very collegial atmosphere Manager flexible and easy to work with, good work-life balance Colleagues are fun to work with.

Cons

Smaller crops get short shrift compared to the giants of maize and soybean. Benefits are not as great as they used to be with the realignment to be more in line with DuPont's benefits In my opinion, the overemphasis on maize has led to an "all eggs in one basket" problem, very much an issue now with the low price of corn.

Advice to Management

Diversify your crop portfolio!

6. Solid internship program

Former Intern - Seed Science in Johnston, IA
    Former Intern - Seed Science in Johnston, IA

I worked at DuPont Pioneer as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very involved internship program that allows you to see all aspects of the company Competitive pay Steady hours - but had opportunities for more if I wanted Thought provoking work - they are always looking for new and better ways to do things Extra training and seminars for continued learning Campus has many amenities Emphasis on employee safety Great coworkers and supervisors

Cons

No complaints, very positive experience

Advice to Management

Keep pushing for innovation

7. Overall worthwhile experience, learned a lot

Former Intern - Maize Product Development in Johnston, IA
    Former Intern - Maize Product Development in Johnston, IA

I worked at DuPont Pioneer as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Safety is a huge concern but not overwhelming, have a huge opportunity to take control of your own research project, caring employees and great work atmosphere.

Cons

No time off for interns, other companies pay a bit better, not allowed the full benefits (Ex use of the on campus work out facilities) even if working in headquarters

8. Great place to work.

Former Employee - Research Associate in Johnston, IA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Johnston, IA

I worked at DuPont Pioneer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people with great work ethics. Also a very good vacation plan. Culture is one of the best in Des Moines.

Cons

Too many contractors. Sometimes it felt like DuPont was trying to control everything Pioneer was trying to do. Not necessarily for the better.

9. Great Company with a Solid Core

Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Johnston, IA
    Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Johnston, IA

I worked at DuPont Pioneer as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed DuPont Pioneer for their unified core values. I like that they are an established company. They seem way head of the game in biotech with their amazing facilities. The design process was pretty agile which is something I value in software development.

Cons

They are not a software company at heart, but they are doing well with IT anyway. Like any company there are times when you have to deal with teams that have other priorities which can delay progress.

Advice to Management

Continue engaging with your employees to challenge them to do their best.

10. Great people

Current Employee - Software Developer in Johnston, IA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Johnston, IA

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for with talented and friendly coworkers. Lots of opportunity within the company and flexibility. In my experience, micro-management is minimal and there is significant freedom in how you accomplish your work.

Cons

As with any employer, there are some less than desirable people in the mix, but especially with a large company, personality conflicts and politics are unavoidable.

Great company but trending down due to best practices.

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Johnston, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Johnston, IA

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is an amazing culture at Pioneer and surplus of extremely talented individuals.

Cons

Pioneer has an unusual take on leadership. The most rewarded individuals are often the ones that turn their backs on the tremendous amount of work that actually needs to be done in favor of highly visible presentation roles where they are primarily responsible for explaining the work of others. Being able to talk about and present others work charismatically is valued over the ability to actually do the work. Technical expertise and leadership abilities are considered mutually exclusive.

Advice to Management

I don't believe in the 'technical expert' vs leadership ideology. Technical experts should become leaders.

RSS Feed </> Embed