DuPont Pioneer Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014
3.9

DuPont Pioneer President Paul E. Schickler
Paul E. Schickler

Pros
  • and the work life balance is one of the best in the industry (in 7 reviews)

• Minimal Stress Working Environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Heat in the fields, long hours, Lots of responsibility but get paid for it (in 9 reviews)

• Upper management (department specific) often fails to recognize and acknowledge the quality efforts put forth by subordinates (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Administrative Coordinator

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator  in  Johnston, IA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Johnston, IA

I worked at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is an exceptional place to work. It was refreshing to work for a compay that cared for their employees. The company allowed a great work-life balance. There were many opportunities to grow your career and the company appreciates hard working employees.

Cons

As Dupont began to increase their presence the medical benefits were not as good as they were with Pioneer but still are standard within the market place.

A good company to work for

Current Employee - Research Scientist
    Current Employee - Research Scientist

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salary and great benefit benefit

Cons

Not a lot of advancement opportunity

Solid Company, Great Core Values

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Johnston, IA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Johnston, IA

I worked at DuPont Pioneer as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance.
    Exciting/challenging work to be done.
    High-tech science company.
    Great people who see you as more than just a number.

Cons

Few and far between.
    Large company.
    Some issues with cross company team collaboration.
    More traditional than a start up company.

Continue looking at long term strategies over short term gains. Don't stop pushing core values. I believe those make a big difference in how a company operates.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, solid company

Current Employee - Intern  in  Johnston, IA
    Current Employee - Intern in Johnston, IA

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It is a relaxed office culture. People are very kind. I never have to worry about anyone stealing anything from me. It's a very safe environment. The talent of the employees is brilliant.

Cons

The upper management tells us we need to work harder, when we are already working our hardest. The core value training is a little over-done.

Focus on training the new managers how to manage properly.

Hard work, Great Co-workers

Former Employee - Intern  in  Woodland, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Woodland, CA

I worked at DuPont Pioneer as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly co-workers
    - A sense of professionalism
    - Strong emphasis on employee safety
    - Good company culture

Cons

- Very difficult outside work
    - Exposure to pollen and dust can trigger allergies
    - Work can be repetitive

Practice the core values they preach

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are good

Cons

Company does not practice what it preaches. Core values do not apply to all people, just upper level.

Be sure that all levels of employees are treated fairly and with respect. Follow your core values.

Sales Associate for Independent Rep

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Joliet, IL

I worked at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning atmosphere for a freshly graduated student. Constantly sent to Pioneer workshops & exposed to some really great mentors within DuPont.

Cons

Starting pay was considerably less that in the seed production plant, but job autonomy/bonus potential was greater in the sales associate role.

Pleasant experience

Former Employee - Research Assistant
    Former Employee - Research Assistant

I worked at DuPont Pioneer part-time

Pros

Very good work environment, relaxed and very understanding management that works with you to achieve many goals, both professionally and personally. Wish I would have stayed on with the company.

Cons

Not very transparent in ways to advance through the company, at least my management wasn't.

Interview process is a little tough, but I really liked working for the company. A great company to get on with!

Growing too fast

Current Employee - Production Technician  in  Le Roy, IL
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Le Roy, IL

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There used to be pros, good benefits, great working environment, you enjoyed coming to work. This has passed and is becoming less and less each year.

The pay is decent, and is close to home.

Cons

Pioneer used to be a great place to work at a plant level. It was a good working atmosphere where people came in, did a job, and felt like they accomplished something. Now the company keeps growing and the management team is filled with people who have worked at the plant for several years, and due to the years of service, somehow makes them qualified. This is not the case, they have poor judgment skills, and base decisions completely off of business needs, and not what makes sense to time and people. This creates a hostile environment where it is management against the floor workers, and not working in a cohesive environment. The new production system is a pieced together catastrophe that was designed for a process where there are controlled inputs, and controlled outputs. It was never designed for an agriculture driven business, and it just makes life in general difficult. It is implemented by "experts" that have no clue about the processes, nor care to get on the floor and learn about what they are trying to change. The preach 4 Core Values on paper, but fail to show actions in supporting these. "Respect for People", something that is shoved in your face everyday in an attempt for the company to control your actions, words, and thoughts. They do not allow people to have personal opinions, if it is not seen fit in the eyes of the leaders, it is considered disrespectful. "Environmental Stewardship" sounds nice and all, but how can you agree that the company is for this, when their owner (DuPont) is the number one polluting company in the world? "Highest Ethical Behavior" depends on who you are and who you know. "Safety & Health" while safety continues to be an importance piece to the company, their measures to keep people safe slow down the very processes they continue to push and wonder why goals are not met. The Health part of it, well, just do a google search on all the people who have sued DuPont for exposing them to chemicals that have caused issues later in life.

Open your eyes and realize that people are not happy working for the company anymore, and people don't leave bad companies, they leave bad leaders.

Short Experience

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer

Pros

Really care about their employees

Cons

Not many that I saw

Worked for DuPont Pioneer? Contribute to the Community!