DuPont Pioneer

DuPont Pioneer Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

DuPont Pioneer President Paul E. Schickler

Paul E. Schickler

Pros
  • and the work life balance is one of the best in the industry(in 7 reviews)

• Minimal Stress Working Environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Heat in the fields, long hours, Lots of responsibility but get paid for it(in 9 reviews)

• Upper management (department specific) often fails to recognize and acknowledge the quality efforts put forth by subordinates(in 4 reviews)

Sales Associate for Independent Rep

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Joliet, IL

ProsGreat learning atmosphere for a freshly graduated student. Constantly sent to Pioneer workshops & exposed to some really great mentors within DuPont.

ConsStarting pay was considerably less that in the seed production plant, but job autonomy/bonus potential was greater in the sales associate role.

Pleasant experience

Research Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsVery good work environment, relaxed and very understanding management that works with you to achieve many goals, both professionally and personally. Wish I would have stayed on with the company.

ConsNot very transparent in ways to advance through the company, at least my management wasn't.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterview process is a little tough, but I really liked working for the company. A great company to get on with!

Growing too fast

Production Technician (Current Employee) Le Roy, IL

ProsThere used to be pros, good benefits, great working environment, you enjoyed coming to work. This has passed and is becoming less and less each year.

The pay is decent, and is close to home.

ConsPioneer used to be a great place to work at a plant level. It was a good working atmosphere where people came in, did a job, and felt like they accomplished something. Now the company keeps growing and the management team is filled with people who have worked at the plant for several years, and due to the years of service, somehow makes them qualified. This is not the case, they have poor judgment skills, and base decisions completely off of business needs, and not what makes sense to time and people. This creates a hostile environment where it is management against the floor workers, and not working in a cohesive environment. The new production system is a pieced together catastrophe that was designed for a process where there are controlled inputs, and controlled outputs. It was never designed for an agriculture driven business, and it just makes life in general difficult. It is implemented by "experts" that have no clue about the processes, nor care to get on the floor and learn about what they are trying to change. The preach 4 Core Values on paper, but fail to show actions in supporting these. "Respect for People", something that is shoved in your face everyday in an attempt for the company to control your actions, words, and thoughts. They do not allow people to have personal opinions, if it is not seen fit in the eyes of the leaders, it is considered disrespectful. "Environmental Stewardship" sounds nice and all, but how can you agree that the company is for this, when their owner (DuPont) is the number one polluting company in the world? "Highest Ethical Behavior" depends on who you are and who you know. "Safety & Health" while safety continues to be an importance piece to the company, their measures to keep people safe slow down the very processes they continue to push and wonder why goals are not met. The Health part of it, well, just do a google search on all the people who have sued DuPont for exposing them to chemicals that have caused issues later in life.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and realize that people are not happy working for the company anymore, and people don't leave bad companies, they leave bad leaders.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Short Experience

ProsReally care about their employees

ConsNot many that I saw

Overall positive work environment and opportunities for growth

Research (Current Employee) Johnston, IA

ProsI can really only speak for the research-related parts of the company, but Pioneer has great work/life balance and still has good benefits despite some cuts last fall. I work with intelligent people on interesting projects. Leadership listens to lower-level employees and there's little top-down management for a company of its size. Revenues have dropped in the industry lately, but the long-term outlook for ag/biotech is great. Des Moines is also one of the best small cities to live in overall. The workforce is culturally diverse. The hiring manager handles the most important parts of the hiring process, and HR isn't overly involved.

ConsThere are a lot of cooks in the kitchen in research, and leadership has trouble making decisions because real authority and influence is relatively diffused. The org chart is pretty complex. In some cases, maybe there should be more top-down management! Poor performers aren't held accountable very well, and usually just shifted around from team to team. You would have to do something outrageous to get fired. DuPont leadership seems far removed (physically and otherwise) from Pioneer. Their attempts to integrate Pioneer further within the larger company seem to introduce more bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of poor performers and consolidate management more.

DuPont Pioneer

Research Associate (Current Employee) Salinas, PR

ProsHigh throughput and scientifically innovative

ConsNone for now, maybe request employers to be a six sigma green belt as normal

Good place to work.

Research Scientist (Current Employee)

ProsNice people, culture, & safe and supportive working environment...

ConsBig company type of corporate bureaucracy, may be not as driven & creative as smaller companies...

DuPont Pioneer is a comfortable workplace

Research Associate (Current Employee) Johnston, IA

ProsIf you like corporate life - this is the place for you. The jobs are worthwhile. The pay is above average.

ConsIts corporate life - not like Google or Facebook though. Cubes, glass ceilings, regular corporate gossip and low performers that get paid the same as you.

It was a great atmosphere and a fun place to work for the summer.

Field Worker (Former Employee)

Prosvery good management, good pay, and fun. There are also leadership opportunities

ConsThe manual work can be quite physically demanding at times. Also, be wary of your allergies as they tend to act up in the field.

PIC

ProsGreat Company excellent benefits would recommend to anyone.

ConsNone this is a great company to work for

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Worked for DuPont Pioneer? Contribute to the Community!