DuPont Pioneer

Updated December 9, 2014
3.7

DuPont Pioneer President Paul E. Schickler
Paul E. Schickler

Pros
  • Great benefits and work/life balance (always at manager's discretion so YMMV) (in 10 reviews)

• There used to be pros, good benefits, great working environment, you enjoyed coming to work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, not enough employees to cover work load in certain areas (in 9 reviews)

• The upper management tells us we need to work harder, when we are already working our hardest (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer

Pros

Great place to work at, good work life balance and great benefits

Cons

Cannot think of very many cons.

Great people

Current Employee - Software Developer in Johnston, IA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Johnston, IA

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for with talented and friendly coworkers. Lots of opportunity within the company and flexibility. In my experience, micro-management is minimal and there is significant freedom in how you accomplish your work.

Cons

As with any employer, there are some less than desirable people in the mix, but especially with a large company, personality conflicts and politics are unavoidable.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Hayward, CA

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

co workers are nice to work with

Cons

sometime is fast-paced but sometime is very slow.

Mixed

I worked at DuPont Pioneer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and good coworkers.

Cons

Leadership lacks clear vision. New diversity quotas put white males over 50 at risk of becoming extinct!

Live your respect for people core value!

seem to throw money around and change ideas a lot

Current Employee - Research Associate in Windfall, IN
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Windfall, IN

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits, large team, a lot of good people

Cons

alligning with dupont. Means less vacation days that what was hired on for. poor pwork life balance, expect to work 70-80 hour weeks.

Dan Burkhart needs to reitre

Great company but trending down due to best practices.

Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Johnston, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Associate in Johnston, IA

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is an amazing culture at Pioneer and surplus of extremely talented individuals.

Cons

Pioneer has an unusual take on leadership. The most rewarded individuals are often the ones that turn their backs on the tremendous amount of work that actually needs to be done in favor of highly visible presentation roles where they are primarily responsible for explaining the work of others.

Being able to talk about and present others work charismatically is valued over the ability to actually do the work. Technical expertise and leadership abilities are considered mutually exclusive.

I don't believe in the 'technical expert' vs leadership ideology. Technical experts should become leaders.

Not as great at it used to be

I worked at DuPont Pioneer full-time

Pros

The salary is generally pretty competitive and some benefits are great.

Cons

Not the company it was 5+ years ago. Benefits are decreasing, atmosphere is more and more big corporate with DuPont having it's hand in everything. Terrible back room politics with bloated departments with management far removed from the day to day activities. Some areas may still be great, with good leadership, but many are not.

Not the Pioneer you used to know....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnston, IA

I have been working at DuPont Pioneer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance (always at manager's discretion so YMMV).

Cons

*No direction (at least in IT)
    *"Big Company" now that DuPont is pushing its way of doing things on to Pioneer
    *"Core Values" are a joke...except maybe commitment to safety. But don't expect that means you can bring your CCW to work....
    *If you start below industry standard salary for your position...don't expect to ever get there.
    * NO BUDGETS FOR ANYTHING *

Get yourselves out from under DuPont's fist. PAY PEOPLE WHAT THEY'RE WORTH! Get direction; 5-10-20 years out! Seriously...stop allowing DuPont to dictate how you run things. Pioneer carried them through the market slump a few years back. We have good people and proven methods and for some strange reason they're deciding to take the ONE thing that works and bring it down to their level.

Buyer Beware

Former Employee - Information Technology in Johnston, IA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Johnston, IA

I worked at DuPont Pioneer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can be a good company at times. Experience can be positive depending on the department you are in. Pay and benefits have been good, but the best days are gone as parent DuPont is finally bringing its influence into the organization.

Cons

There is minimal accountability with back office politics rampant. Many employees have been around for decades and prevent innovation as they lack any motivation to learn anything new. Certain IT management loves to listen to themselves talk, but never show any action. They are more concerned with their own image among their business peers rather than managing their department.

Make IT accountable for their work. All I saw was millions spent annually and not much return for the investment. Get perspectives of new employees as to what they see as possible areas of improvement and your eyes might be opened to many problems. Many well skilled people came aboard and left after a year or two as they had been exposed to better processes.

Plant Transformation / Molecular Biology Intern

Former Employee - Plant Transformation/Molecular Biology in Johnston, IA
    Former Employee - Plant Transformation/Molecular Biology in Johnston, IA

I worked at DuPont Pioneer as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- In my short time at Pioneer I learned a ton about plant science and seed production.
    - Pioneer is extremely concerned with employee safety, which is generally a good thing but can become cumbersome at times.
    - Additionally my coworkers were incredibly friendly, welcoming, and helpful.

Cons

- The pay was not particularly great considering my education level.
    - Although Des Moines is a nice mid-size city, outside of Des Moines there is nothing. It's tough to want to live there long term if you are not from a similarly rural area.

Continue to invest heavily in research in order to keep pace with competitors (Monsanto).

DuPont Pioneer Photos