DuPont

DuPont Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

DuPont Chairman & CEO Ellen J. Kullman

Ellen J. Kullman

Pros
  • Good work-life balance when there is no high priority activity going on(in 51 reviews)

• Great core values and respect for people(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • DuPont emphasizes respect for people at a high level but in reality the follow through is just not there(in 9 reviews)

• Below average rate of project progression due to deliberate, data driven, decision making(in 10 reviews)

GREAT company culture

Manufacturing Technology Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsOne of the main focuses are not only making a profit and meeting goals, but respecting each other and creating a positive work environment. Interns get very competitive pay. Engineers seem to have a great work-life balance here, no crazy hours.

ConsInterns do not get involved in meatier projects, which is unfortunate. Possibly because of security of information, or believing that interns cannot handle more? I don't know.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns are only a few classes shy of being qualified engineers, please don't be afraid to give them some responsibility.

DuPont is a massive, complex international company with a rich history of product innovation and safety performance.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsGood compensation and benefits. Many opportunities for growth because of the variety of businesses. Lots of variety in the company portfolio.

ConsOur part of DuPont's businesses is being 'spun off' and we are hemorrhaging talent and experience. Lack of communication does not help in high-stress scenarios, and we are in a holding pattern.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for work at home or telecommuting to save money, instead of farming out American jobs to other countries.

Conservative is code word for churn

Business Consultant (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsStrong company culture centered on core values, with emphasis on ethics and safety. The team members who I work with are passionate, logical, and helpful.

ConsComparatively decent work-life balance and medical benefits. Leadership seems to be driven by wall street expectations than blazing a new trail to define their own destiny.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees could use more help with drawing up the right scope of decision and power that optimizes decision making without the need for meetings after meetings to prepare the discussion with senior leaders who in the end would like to hand-off the decision.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Integrated Ops

Business Process Specialist (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

Prospay, 401k match, work from home,

Consslow, slow, slow. great people but extremely slow to move forward with anything.

Reliability Engineer

ProsNon-stressful Environment; a lot of learning opportunity;

ConsEverything takes a long time to be completed; work is not always challenging;

Very good if hired full-time, contractors are 2nd clas

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of your co-workers are nice, friendly and easy to get along with, whether they were temporary, contractors or full-time. There were a couple of not so polite or respectful.

ConsVery strict rules: eg could get fired if drive in not buckled-up or in parking isle if drive to through a backside place to the one in front. Also some ladies did not like the fact that transvestite guys used their restrooms.

Current employee in Fayetteville, NC

Engineer (Current Employee) Fayetteville, NC

ProsCompetitive salary; competitive 401K program with matching; extreme dedication to safety in all levels of organization; generally a very dedicated work force at all levels; lots of career opportunities; large knowledge base with numerous subject matter experts across the company

ConsThere is big percentage of people retiring in next 5 years and not enough people in place to replace (this leaves a big gap in knowledge and experience); plant site leaders do not stay in role long enough to have accountability and a vested interest in the long term site success; respect for people core value not treated with nearly as much importance as other core values; union plants pose many challenges that generate barriers , making menial tasks difficult to complete effectively.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to develop more accountability with site leadership, using feedback from the site to help drive this; need to work harder at plan to address high attrition rates.

Great Expectations

ProsGood pay, benefits and culture. Met my expectations when I joined two years ago.

ConsNo career plans for support group members who are not managers (they don't have CDPs!). Promotions depend on how many hats you're wearing, and I mean multi-tasking in every sense of the word, unless you start kissing manager's ___. I am yet to witness if core values actually work, but i think I've been waiting long enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to your employees. Keep an open mind.

Advice to prospective employees, "I would not work for this company"

Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for DuPont for 10 years as an engineer. The only thing that I enjoyed about the experience was the people that I worked with on a day to day basis.

ConsThe site management was inept at best. They were cycled through our plant every couple of years to get their tickets punched. I went through 4 layoffs in 10 years. Fortunately I survived them all and was able to leave the company on my terms. But it was always a stressful time that occurred every 2.5 years or so. The morale at my facility was pathetic, early on I thought that it may have been just something at my location. But I had some opportunities to work at other locations and I quickly learned that it was the same at those facilities as well. My advice particularly to new college graduates is if DuPont comes to your university recruiting do yourself a favor and pass them up. I was told once by a 30 plus year DuPont employee that, "DuPont does not hire bad people, it creates them". After having worked for them for ten years unfortunately I would have to say he was right.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through with what you say you are going to do. I can't tell you how many times I heard it from many seasoned employees I worked with that DuPont "used" to be a great company to work for. It can still be but if you don't make the hard choices and follow through with them it never will be again.

It has been great.

Business Process Specialist (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsIt is a great place to work and everyone is extremely nice. I have had many great opportunities presented to me, and they are hiring young people.

ConsMost of the work revolves around science (it is a science company), so if you really do not like science then you may not be interested.

Worked for DuPont? Contribute to the Community!