DuPont

DuPont Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

DuPont Chairman & CEO Ellen J. Kullman

Ellen J. Kullman

Pros:
  • "Salary, benefits, work-life balance, most people are good to work with"
    in 44 reviews
  • "Outstanding core values, Excellent reputation, World class innovations capabilities"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "Slow moving company, cumbersome decision making process, arrogant culture all around"
    in 13 reviews
  • "DuPont emphasizes respect for people at a high level but in reality the follow through is just not there"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Safety professional

Safety Professional (Current Employee)
Circleville, OH

I have been working at DuPont full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSafety is "in front" of people. Daily, weekly, monthly and yearly reviews are held. Employees manage many safety committees and responsibilities.

ConsBenefits are quickly going away. Pay is flat line at best. People feel disrespected and 'taken advantage' of each day. When management says" if you don't like it, leave" then harmony and trust are broken.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview what made this company great and go back to the core values of 50 years ago.

Great place to work

Production Operator (Former Employee)
Mount Clemens, MI

I worked at DuPont full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTons of room for advancement great wages and benefits

ConsThey will screw you in a minute to make a buck

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach with ethics and core valves, 26 years of service losing everything when they sold us to a different company (paint division) no medical when I retire and cannot collect my pension to age 65

Human Resource - 1-800-Who Cares

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at DuPont full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe "pros" are quickly going away. I am concerned about new employees dues to very poor training practices.

ConsIf you want an HR group that manages from the office - this is the place to be. Silly policies based on lack of employee input. HR is not willing to listen but very good at "here's the way it is going to be" approach. Most employees have not even met the HR group except during new hire sessions. What a joke!!

Advice to Senior ManagementHow many times to you have to say it - LISTEN, GET OUT and meet your employees. Email and plant posting are not interactive discussions. Since you always follow other corporations (versus creating your own new ideas) then at least find complanies that have good ideas.

They are liars and thieves.

Mechanical Engineering (Current Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I have been working at DuPont full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are none this employer steals money from it's employees when they purchase vacation time.

ConsBig company that has lost sight of its roots.

Not a leader anymore and not a very good 'follower'

Laboratory Technician (Current Employee)
Parkersburg, WV

I have been working at DuPont full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHistory of company discoveries has helped many but that is in the past. Safety of employees is still strong.

ConsMajor law suits in the past few years is very disappointing. Management spends more time doing "coverup work" than fixing the problems. Benefits are not good and getting worst. Pay, based on hours in a work week is very poor!!

Advice to Senior ManagementMove on and let someone else lead us

Upper Management with alterior motives

Engineer (Current Employee)
Valdosta, GA

I have been working at DuPont full-time for more than a year

ProsCorporate interview/offer allowed me to get a very good salary.

ConsThe company, as a whole stresses, "core values" such as respect for people and safety/health, however, at the Valdosta site, upper management will use these values against you if they have a personal problem with you. I was harassed for months by another employee and when I finally spoke out, I was retaliated against and put on probation. If you are disliked by a select group of management, they will try to get you on a safety or respect violation in order to get you out the door, or at least dock your pay. They don't respect individual thinkers. Hard work isn't valued. Management gossips about people as bad as those working on the floor. I am so very dissapointed by this experience. I hope that corporate is ignorant to what is going on there, otherwise this established company is quickly going down-hill.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest, be fair, stay out of people's personal lives, and don't play fast and loose with their lively-hoods.

Disapointing never ending carrots and sticks module

Technical Specialist (Current Employee)
Barueri (Brazil)

I have been working at DuPont

ProsYou can learn a lot if you decide to do it
Nice incentive to study
Global company
Nice low level employees

ConsThe carrots never gets released, no continuity when boss is changed, although one of the core values is respect for people, this concept is not well recognized by some leaders

If you're thinking of working here, think again.

Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at DuPont

ProsRelatively equitable salary and health benefits. I suppose as a research chemist in a large company, I was able over the years to command decent budgets for new equipment and supplies.
Generally, I was able to attend at least one scientific meeting per year, and interact with colleagues outside of the company on occasion. The facilities were on a par with other places I have worked (lab, equipment, library, computers, cafeteria etc).

ConsWhere do I begin? Support staff is the biggest disappointment. Dupont management is terrified of unionized technical help and will do anything to keep the techs happy. Consequently the PI's are at the mercy of the English major technician mafia, and God forbid if anyone tries to right the apple cart or complain in any way. Next I would fault senior management for allowing PI's to work on sophomoronic and impossible goals. But then, most managers are so as they were the least competent at science in the first place. They bring true meaning to the company's motto "Miracles of Science". Meanwhile Dupont's patent positions suffer in so many fields, further lowering morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt any job, the minimum one expects is to be treated with dignity and respect. I expect my manager to be honest, open, and fair. This I did not get at Dupont. My job became a nightmare and an experience I would not wish upon anyone. My advice to Ms Kullman is to install an outside scientific review panel and lose the senior level managers who have been lying their way to upper level positions as fast as she can. Set some realistic goals and projects which can bring the company out of their current product doldrums (TiO2 still?). Require professional expert training in management, and allow honest reverse (bottom up) appraisals of managers.

Sending Jobs out of this country is a top priority

Design (Current Employee)

I have been working at DuPont

ProsThere are some good benefits but they are going up in cost and the hours are good, outside of that the rest of the company woes cause more friction than good work and communication can justify as a good place to work.

ConsOutsourcing, Outsourcing and more Outsourcing, at one of the worst economic meltdowns in history, the CEO of Dupont is currently trying to ship all the jobs from the Wilmington office, and not only send the jobs but her and the managers want to get rid of engineering all together, never mind that most engineers working for them know the work quality that you get from a US worker is unmatched by anyone outside of the USA, we have decades of quality work and experience, but Greed and the all mighty dollar are what drives the CEO to drive this company in the dirt, they will not last going in this direction, as a stockholder we all need to make this public and hold them accountable for their actions, including the board members.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are not enough words to make any of these greedy managers listen, the direction is not forward, they need to think about the destruction that they are causing by this outsourcing, maybe we should outsource the mangers and the CEO, has anyone thought about this concept, maybe we would all get a raise instead of every penny made going to the CEO.
We need mangers with engineering experience and a the knowledge to bring this company back to what it once was, a global leader in specialty chemicals and fibers, a leader in Technology.

Management only wants to send our work out of this country

Design (Current Employee)

I have been working at DuPont

ProsBene's are very good, hours are good and many good people to work with

ConsManagement at the top are clueless when it comes to executing a project from start to finish, they only are interested in sending the work outside of the company, the work they get back is shody and incomplete with many many mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementBean counters run the company, my advice get rid of all the bean counters and bring in real engineering managers back to those positions and bring the work back to the people that care about the product that goes out the door, I am one who cares as are my peers about the company and the work and detail that goes into our projects, Greed is ruining this business, if you take the time to really see the bad quality of work that comes back 2nd and 3rd time for fixing you would see how muc money you really waste, was the cheap labor really worth all the rework?

Worked for DuPont? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DuPont reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for DuPont CEO Ellen J. Kullman. All 302 reviews posted anonymously by DuPont employees.