DuPont

Updated February 28, 2015
3.6

DuPont Chairman & CEO Ellen J. Kullman
Ellen J. Kullman

Pros
  • Good work-life balance when there is no high priority activity going on (in 56 reviews)

• Great focus on core values and a really helpful and collaborative environment (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • DuPont emphasizes respect for people at a high level but in reality the follow through is just not there (in 9 reviews)

• Below average rate of project progression due to deliberate, data driven, decision making (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Short sighted and quarterly-focused

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at DuPont full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, great history and core values

Cons

Management thinks only about itself, the company is not building a pipeline, everything is slow moving and risks are never taken

Stop being so short sighted

A company living off a legacy

Current Employee - Senior Safety Consultant in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Senior Safety Consultant in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at DuPont full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good for people who want to hold on to their tiny turf and run politics day in and day out while waiting for retirement.

Cons

Ridden with politics
    No work or project gets done
    Core values are talked about but rarely implemented.
    "Respect for people" is a myth.
    Some where along the way, DuPont lost its safety and environmental excellence. Currently, the trend is to live off yester years legacy.

Focus on bringing the company up to speed with rest of the world. There is lot of stagnation and some facilities seem to be living in a time capsule.

Corporate support was great; local support anything but

Current Employee - Process and Control Engineer in Vonore, TN
    Current Employee - Process and Control Engineer in Vonore, TN

I have been working at DuPont

Pros

Great educational opportunities at corporate level.

Cons

Former company was bought out by DuPont. When HR came to deliver everyone's "new" position and offer, the letter only had salary and title with absolutely no job description. This was the experience for 50+ people at the site. When I pressed management and HR for the need to include a description their only response was, "Just do what you've always done". Unfortunately, every contractor that came through the door kept asking where are all the other people to support your job, there should be four or more of you to cover the plant.

Hire seasoned people and pay them a living wage. Moreover, hire enough people to cover the ups-and-downs that are inevitable in a working plant. Otherwise, you force your "salaried" employees to work 60+ hours ever week for years on end. This results in low morale and destruction of their sanity and home life. If you do hire someone who is green, spend the time and money to properly train them.

Extremely Poor Management, no advancement

I worked at DuPont

Pros

flexibility of work hours to go to appointments. Some leadership are qualified leaders and they are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

People treatment is a core value but is not practiced. Employees are treated as they are stupid, even told I was once. Management is dishonest with employees, and advancement is impossible if you are not friends or related to someone in management, it has nothing to do with ability, If you are a good honest worker your work ethic will be abused and those who are incapable will be protected. Training is rushed and it causes fork truck incidents along with other issues. Buildings constantly leak and there is black mold in ceiling tiles on a regular basis. Benefits were great but are diminishing.

If the management were willing to take advice I would suggest that some of there best resources are their employees and that most really care about their jobs and the company but when you treat employees like they are ignorant, resentment and distrust follows. Teamwork is just that, a team, if, you want respect you have to give it, if you really want the maximum production work on team work. Happy employees are more productive employees. When you have the thought that anyone is replaceable because of economy, you set yourself up for failure. You can not protect the people who do not do their job, then promote them, other good employees are done with it.

People treatment terrible!!!

Former Employee - Production Operator in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Newark, DE

I worked at DuPont full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay & benefits. There is room for growth.

Cons

Too much talk and backstabing. Need to work together, not against each other.

None

Stay away from Spruance Plant

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Richmond, VA

I worked at DuPont full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and relatively good benefits. This is about the only "pro" from my perspective. I can only speak about the Spruance facility as it was the only site I saw.

Cons

80 year old plant with 80 year old culture. They have not moved into the 21st century yet. No focus on customers or employees, only on the shareholder.

Take care of your customers and employees and your shareholders will get taken care of by default. Reversing that order will not allow you to attract and retain good talent.

Don't Even Go There

I have been working at DuPont full-time

Pros

Great sick time policy - you will need it. Great medical - you will need it.

Cons

Salary increases are less than the cost of living, so you earn less the longer you stay. You also get copious amounts of meaningless work that does keep you busy all day, but never feel accomplished about it. Just more "hamster on the wheel" work to look forward to.

Please hire capable replacements for yourselves and quit. It is unbelievable how little the decision makers know about the decisions they have made. For the minions to do our best work, we need to feel you are engaged and supportive, not hiding out making up silly rules all day long.

No trainging

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, WV
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, WV

I worked at DuPont full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay and benefits, Great company to work for.

Cons

I did not receive any training, I worked there for 7 months and was left to flounder on my own. I know how to do the work but not how they would like the work to be done, nor proper training on all the systems that are used. No direction what so ever, I am by no means unable to learn or figure things out on my own, but a company like that should train better. I am not the first that this has happened to either in this plant.

Train non-production employees as well as operators are trained.

Advice to prospective employees, "I would not work for this company"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at DuPont full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for DuPont for 10 years as an engineer. The only thing that I enjoyed about the experience was the people that I worked with on a day to day basis.

Cons

The site management was inept at best. They were cycled through our plant every couple of years to get their tickets punched. I went through 4 layoffs in 10 years. Fortunately I survived them all and was able to leave the company on my terms. But it was always a stressful time that occurred every 2.5 years or so. The morale at my facility was pathetic, early on I thought that it may have been just something at my location. But I had some opportunities to work at other locations and I quickly learned that it was the same at those facilities as well. My advice particularly to new college graduates is if DuPont comes to your university recruiting do yourself a favor and pass them up. I was told once by a 30 plus year DuPont employee that, "DuPont does not hire bad people, it creates them". After having worked for them for ten years unfortunately I would have to say he was right.

Follow through with what you say you are going to do. I can't tell you how many times I heard it from many seasoned employees I worked with that DuPont "used" to be a great company to work for. It can still be but if you don't make the hard choices and follow through with them it never will be again.

Safety professional

Current Employee - Safety Professional in Circleville, OH
    Current Employee - Safety Professional in Circleville, OH

I have been working at DuPont full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Safety is "in front" of people. Daily, weekly, monthly and yearly reviews are held. Employees manage many safety committees and responsibilities.

Cons

Benefits are quickly going away. Pay is flat line at best. People feel disrespected and 'taken advantage' of each day. When management says" if you don't like it, leave" then harmony and trust are broken.

Review what made this company great and go back to the core values of 50 years ago.

DuPont Photos