Duff & Phelps

Duff & Phelps Reviews

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Duff & Phelps Chairman, President, and CEO Noah Gottdiener

Noah Gottdiener

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance and somewhat interesting work"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Nice working environment active management"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Erratic hours; tough clients who are also working crazy hours; hard to find a work-life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Long hours and below-market-rate pay, both pre- and post-recession"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Place to Learn

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsI worked very hard, spent many hours in the office with tight deadlines... but in the end I wouldn't be where I am without my time at Duff. I am incredibly grateful for my experience and would recommend it to anyone looking to tee-up a rewarding career in finance.

ConsLots of hours, but if you get the hours it means you are good. Just push through it!

Good work life balance but not great pay

ProsGood work life balance and somewhat interesting work

ConsBelow average compensation and poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementPay junior people more

Great company for the industry, but long-term potential in industry limited

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsProject based work -- always get to move onto something new. Also you generally have a lot of flexibility about how you go about your work. Exception might be for work being reviewed by an auditor, in which case you have to play by their rules.

Amount of variety is outstanding. You end up being exposed to a vast array of industries involving every conceivable product or service. There are some businesses that are so nich and would never be on your spectrum if you are just analyzing public companies.

You meet a lot of interesting people at the client companies.

You develop a deeper understanding of business and realize that the textbook view of business is not so cut and dry as a pure maximization of profits that necessarily occurs for a company with a wide ownership base (i.e.- a public company).

ConsA lot of mediocre people. You get a lot of finance guys who couldn't quite get into banking, asset management, etc. Or you get the bean counters who move up into business valuation, especially since all the accounting firms now have valuation practices.

As an extension, the field is becoming more and more dominated by the accounting firms and thus it's becoming very formulaic in their valuations, and generally not much insight. Worse, they have increasing clout and are influencing the way the profession is evolving. If you've ever dealt with auditors, then you know why this is not a great outlook.

Pay can be crappy relative to other finance jobs.

A lot of the same old ideas are rehashed over and over. People do attempt to innovate on the theoretical front, but I haven't seen too much that was truly original. Even then, it wouldn't make its way out of the valuation community.

Fees are definitely coming down or at least stagnant. Again, too many bean counters getting into the game.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more to keep strong employees and ditch the bean counters.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience has been long and tedious

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosthe free lunches during meetings

Consvery separate. EA's are treated as unimportant.

Great experience, high expectations and skill building challenges.

Consulting Analyst (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsYou'll work with people at the top of their game.

ConsYou will work a lot!

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider being kinder.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood salary that is competitive

ConsExtensive last minute travel possibilities

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Culture and Professional Employees. Diversified client base, Duff and Phelps has good name recognition,

ConsCompetitive industry. Industry is also cyclical and sensitive to economic conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior staff needs to spend more time marketing

I wouldn't recommend

Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosgood opportunities to learn, get thrown in on lots of projects, big name clients

Consincredibly long hours and weekend work and very little pay relative to hours worked, zero ability to control or predict your schedule, the company expects you to have your computer when you take vacation, the rating system is on a curve aka even if more people are great, they can't get assigned the higher rating and they have to have some assigned as the lowest rating, incredibly low bonuses, no loyalty to employees, people are incredibly intense and can only talk about work, culture is intense, stiff, and people aren't friends

Disappointing...dispute consulting division

Dispute Consultant (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Proslean team structure on certain engagements

Consoverworked
    poor pay
    laughable bonus
    poor training
    poor staffing structure
    i suggest looking to other litigation consulting firms unless you have an interest in IP litigation

Advice to Senior Managementbe less cold-hearted

Long hours, terrible compensation, poor culture

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsYou will become an expert at putting pitches together because that's all you will do. The company rarely ever wins a pitch. The firm's sweet spot is negative EBITDA companies.

ConsSome managing directors will screw anyone over for a deal, even their colleagues at the firm.

Bonuses will be hyped so that you work extra hard (especially thought the holidays) but when it comes time to pay bonuses senior management always have an excuse about how it was a tough year. My bonus working a 9-5 corporate role was higher than working 90+ hours a week at Duff.

Worked for Duff & Phelps? Contribute to the Community!

Duff & Phelps Videos

Duff & Phelps – Why Work for Us?

Sound decisions start with Duff & Phelps Here at Duff & Phelps, we know what it takes to power sound decisions: collaboration, expert training and insight. But ultimately, it all comes down to the human element: our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duff & Phelps reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Duff & Phelps CEO Noah Gottdiener. All 120 reviews posted anonymously by Duff & Phelps employees.