Duff & Phelps

Duff & Phelps Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Duff & Phelps Chairman, President, and CEO Noah Gottdiener

Noah Gottdiener

Pros
  • Good work life balance and somewhat interesting work(in 8 reviews)

• With some effort, patience and skill, there are doors that open at Duff and Phelps, and you have flexibility to create your own work environment(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Erratic hours; tough clients who are also working crazy hours; hard to find a work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Long hours but aside from that not much(in 10 reviews)

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Easy but don't expect too much compensation

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat work-life balance. Work isn't that taxing, and can lead to good experience to spring board you somewhere else.

ConsLower than industry compensation, favoritism, in-house politics. Don't think of this place as a career-path, because no one else besides upper level employees do.

Not a good place if you have pride in your work.

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosjob security - if you are horrible, they will never fire you. you can lie on your timecard and no one will care as long as they can pass along your hours to their clients.

Consbonuses are horrible and so is total comp relative to competitors. They are more interested in getting fees from clients that doing good work. If you are a good worker, you will constantly be asked to pick up the slack from other, bad workers but you will not be compensated for it and they will never be fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so greedy. If you want to retain and keep good talent you have to show the good talent that you care, both by career advancement opportunities and better pay than the less motivated or capable staff. Stop rewarding slackers that never show up and lie on their timecards.

Solid and Growing Company

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDuff & Phelps is a growing business with several service lines that are, or are shortly posed to be, the market leader. The firm still thinks of itself as a mid-market investment banking firm, but the reality is that it can provide financial advisory in a multitude of areas, most of which are growing rapidly. It's very nice never to worry about job security

ConsDuff is less prestigious than a big investment bank, and they pay is going to be lower at most levels below Managing Director. The banking group still dominates the firm, but the real value to the firm lies outside of M&A.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of compensation groups within service lines, so that people can bring in business into any service line.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent work/life balance

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosdecent work /life balance here

Conscompany is poorly run - too much fighting amongst groups over who gets the revenue versus actually maximizing revenue for the firm

My experience has been long and tedious

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosthe free lunches during meetings

Consvery separate. EA's are treated as unimportant.

I wouldn't recommend

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood opportunities to learn, get thrown in on lots of projects, big name clients

Consincredibly long hours and weekend work and very little pay relative to hours worked, zero ability to control or predict your schedule, the company expects you to have your computer when you take vacation, the rating system is on a curve aka even if more people are great, they can't get assigned the higher rating and they have to have some assigned as the lowest rating, incredibly low bonuses, no loyalty to employees, people are incredibly intense and can only talk about work, culture is intense, stiff, and people aren't friends

Great Job out of College

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGain Marketable Skills. Valuation / Modeling

ConsPay is below street, Challenge employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees better, match street to retain employees.

Nice people, needs better management

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmart, hardworking coworkers
    Interesting work
    Entrepreneurial environment

ConsSome senior leaders are rarely in the office and have no idea what's happening with the company
    Sexist remarks tolerated

I have learned a significant amount of financial knowledge in a short time.

Investment Banking Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

Loss of Talent

Advice to Senior ManagementHave to pay to keep talent

Great Firm and great projects

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat Firm and great projects; location is fantastic; well-managed

ConsErratic hours; tough clients who are also working crazy hours; hard to find a work-life balance

Worked for Duff & Phelps? Contribute to the Community!