Duff & Phelps

Duff & Phelps Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Duff & Phelps Chairman, President, and CEO Noah Gottdiener

Noah Gottdiener

Pros
  • Good work life balance and somewhat interesting work(in 7 reviews)

• With some effort, patience and skill, there are doors that open at Duff and Phelps, and you have flexibility to create your own work environment(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Erratic hours; tough clients who are also working crazy hours; hard to find a work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Long hours and below-market-rate pay, both pre- and post-recession(in 9 reviews)

Vice President

Vice President (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSome smart people. Good benefits.

ConsUnpredictive hours. Some MDs are good, like Chicago and Boston. Some are not very good, like San Francisco and New York. Be prepared for urgent tasks at 7pm, while MD had all day to give it to you.
    No team work, people do their own thing without any communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain people, you must do a better job.

If you care about your career, don't work here. If simply need any job you can get, well then go for it.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThere are some good people working at Duff...that's pretty much it.

ConsInsufficient training
    Uncaring leadership
    Random rounds of layoffs
    Lots of in fighting
    Lots of favoritism
    Under development of junior staff
    Terrible bonuses
    Average base pay
    Zero work-life balance
    Performance management process is a joke.
    No modeling for juniors until 2+ years at the firm.
    Formatting things until your hands begin to cramp.
    People stealing credit for your work.
    Cliques are everywhere.
    You cannot trust anyone because almost everyone gossips.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay should equal effort. Stop lowballing employees.

Encourage senior staff to be more engaging with junior staff.

Stop trying to motivate employees thru promises of good bonuses. The bonuses never live up to the hype.

Never again.

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThe admins were cool. All very down to earth.

Cons- The culture was in my opinion, very pretentious (which is surprising because well... its D&P).
    - Expect a bonus that is only 10-20% of what your peers would be getting at top MM firms and bulges... if they screw you more beyond that, it may be close to 5% of what others are receiving.
    - No structure. The training in the boonies of Illinois was a JOKE. I learned nothing sitting with my peers in the Tax, Valuation, Dispute Consulting, Transfer Pricing... etc. How do they expect to properly train employees in the IB practice when we have 2 weeks to learn about D&P's laundry list of other practices...
    - You have to study for the series on your own WHILE WORKING 100+ hour weeks. That's right. D&P offers ZERO training or separate time for you to prep for your series exam so expect to be cramming/extremely tired your first 3 months on the job studying and working simultaneously. You have to take both the series 79 and 63 and after a few more months... the series 7 as well.
    - If you want to work on M&A, this is not the right firm. If you want to scrub comps, work on Salesforce (looking up contact information and data entry) and pitch all day and all night, this will be the right firm for you.
    - Aside from training being unstructured, the analyst program itself is unstructured, as well as, the firm. Because the firm is trying to compete with bigger banks, a lot of investment is going into building an FSG practice. What does that mean for analysts? SALESFORCE ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT. Expect to become an expert at looking up addresses, phone numbers, websites, port cos, etc. It will make you question why you went to a university in the first place.
    - Have you ever heard about a bank that offers $25 of dinner meal reimbursements but yells at you for eating $20-25 meals? I didn't until I worked at D&P. I can't count how many times MDs have pulled me into their office because my meals were "too expensive." Maybe they should reconsider working me to the ground before complaining to me about my dinner expenses.
    - If you want to work yourself to the ground, while not getting paid appropriately for the hours and having to be cognizant about your dinner expenses at chipotle AND have no exit opps when you try to leave, by all means-- this may be the place for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to compete with bigger banks, I suggest you start paying employees like they work at bigger banks and giving them similar perks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent work/life balance

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosdecent work /life balance here

Conscompany is poorly run - too much fighting amongst groups over who gets the revenue versus actually maximizing revenue for the firm

I wouldn't recommend

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood opportunities to learn, get thrown in on lots of projects, big name clients

Consincredibly long hours and weekend work and very little pay relative to hours worked, zero ability to control or predict your schedule, the company expects you to have your computer when you take vacation, the rating system is on a curve aka even if more people are great, they can't get assigned the higher rating and they have to have some assigned as the lowest rating, incredibly low bonuses, no loyalty to employees, people are incredibly intense and can only talk about work, culture is intense, stiff, and people aren't friends

Disappointing...dispute consulting division

Dispute Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Proslean team structure on certain engagements

Consoverworked
    poor pay
    laughable bonus
    poor training
    poor staffing structure
    i suggest looking to other litigation consulting firms unless you have an interest in IP litigation

Advice to Senior Managementbe less cold-hearted

Long hours, terrible compensation, poor culture

Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou will become an expert at putting pitches together because that's all you will do. The company rarely ever wins a pitch. The firm's sweet spot is negative EBITDA companies.

ConsSome managing directors will screw anyone over for a deal, even their colleagues at the firm.

Bonuses will be hyped so that you work extra hard (especially thought the holidays) but when it comes time to pay bonuses senior management always have an excuse about how it was a tough year. My bonus working a 9-5 corporate role was higher than working 90+ hours a week at Duff.

mediocre

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossome people are quite good

Conspoor leadership, very poor communications

Property Tax Integration Analyst

Property Tax Integration Analyst (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat location, beautiful offices. The people are very friendly and the have free soda!

ConsHiring practices are unprofessional! I was hired, asked to work temp for 3 months and then told to show up for training. I showed up for training on a Monday with one other woman who had also been hired and 6 temps. On wednesday, the trainer told us that only three people from the class would be kept on friday. Myself and the other woman that was hired were not of the 3 kept to stay at Duff and Phelps. They would not tell us why!

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a better way, your so called training class for new employees is a joke!

Poor management, poor job equity

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Paris (France)

ProsGood ambiance among the juniors

ConsVery poor management, lack of staffing, lack of communication

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a 360° rating system, better communication about the objectives throughout the year, better rating system to reflect the real performance of the employee and reward them accordingly

Worked for Duff & Phelps? Contribute to the Community!