Duff & Phelps

Duff & Phelps Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Duff & Phelps Chairman, President, and CEO Noah Gottdiener

Noah Gottdiener

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance and somewhat interesting work"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Nice working environment active management"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Erratic hours; tough clients who are also working crazy hours; hard to find a work-life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Long hours and below-market-rate pay, both pre- and post-recession"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Firm to learn and develop valuation knowledge and skills for many applications.

Director (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsSalary, benefits, and culture are similar to the Big 4 w/o the feeling of being lost in a machine. People in Director and MD levels are generally very intelligent, and tremendously competent at their specializations. Clients recognize the name in many instances.

ConsPractices still maintain silo structure; offices are still pretty split between practices, so networking is challenging. Training investment for staff is minimal; hiring efforts take way too long to obtain staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work on methods to incent cross-selling and internal teaming; commit to more formalized staff training in consultative and business development skills.

Vice President

Vice President (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSome smart people. Good benefits.

ConsUnpredictive hours. Some MDs are good, like Chicago and Boston. Some are not very good, like San Francisco and New York. Be prepared for urgent tasks at 7pm, while MD had all day to give it to you.
    No team work, people do their own thing without any communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain people, you must do a better job.

Not a good place if you have pride in your work.

Vice President (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosjob security - if you are horrible, they will never fire you. you can lie on your timecard and no one will care as long as they can pass along your hours to their clients.

Consbonuses are horrible and so is total comp relative to competitors. They are more interested in getting fees from clients that doing good work. If you are a good worker, you will constantly be asked to pick up the slack from other, bad workers but you will not be compensated for it and they will never be fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so greedy. If you want to retain and keep good talent you have to show the good talent that you care, both by career advancement opportunities and better pay than the less motivated or capable staff. Stop rewarding slackers that never show up and lie on their timecards.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Make your own way

ProsWith some effort, patience and skill, there are doors that open at Duff and Phelps, and you have flexibility to create your own work environment

ConsTransitioning from a good analyst to a good manager to being good at business development. The transition is necessary in order to progress, but it is not easy.

Huge turnover of employees with no promise for a future.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly people and a nice working environment.

ConsNo positions available for none cash generating positions. Long hours for all employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive good workers a chance to advance and offer them benefits.

If you care about your career, don't work here. If simply need any job you can get, well then go for it.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThere are some good people working at Duff...that's pretty much it.

ConsInsufficient training
    Uncaring leadership
    Random rounds of layoffs
    Lots of in fighting
    Lots of favoritism
    Under development of junior staff
    Terrible bonuses
    Average base pay
    Zero work-life balance
    Performance management process is a joke.
    No modeling for juniors until 2+ years at the firm.
    Formatting things until your hands begin to cramp.
    People stealing credit for your work.
    Cliques are everywhere.
    You cannot trust anyone because almost everyone gossips.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay should equal effort. Stop lowballing employees.

Encourage senior staff to be more engaging with junior staff.

Stop trying to motivate employees thru promises of good bonuses. The bonuses never live up to the hype.

Never again.

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsThe admins were cool. All very down to earth.

Cons- The culture was in my opinion, very pretentious (which is surprising because well... its D&P).
    - Expect a bonus that is only 10-20% of what your peers would be getting at top MM firms and bulges... if they screw you more beyond that, it may be close to 5% of what others are receiving.
    - No structure. The training in the boonies of Illinois was a JOKE. I learned nothing sitting with my peers in the Tax, Valuation, Dispute Consulting, Transfer Pricing... etc. How do they expect to properly train employees in the IB practice when we have 2 weeks to learn about D&P's laundry list of other practices...
    - You have to study for the series on your own WHILE WORKING 100+ hour weeks. That's right. D&P offers ZERO training or separate time for you to prep for your series exam so expect to be cramming/extremely tired your first 3 months on the job studying and working simultaneously. You have to take both the series 79 and 63 and after a few more months... the series 7 as well.
    - If you want to work on M&A, this is not the right firm. If you want to scrub comps, work on Salesforce (looking up contact information and data entry) and pitch all day and all night, this will be the right firm for you.
    - Aside from training being unstructured, the analyst program itself is unstructured, as well as, the firm. Because the firm is trying to compete with bigger banks, a lot of investment is going into building an FSG practice. What does that mean for analysts? SALESFORCE ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT. Expect to become an expert at looking up addresses, phone numbers, websites, port cos, etc. It will make you question why you went to a university in the first place.
    - Have you ever heard about a bank that offers $25 of dinner meal reimbursements but yells at you for eating $20-25 meals? I didn't until I worked at D&P. I can't count how many times MDs have pulled me into their office because my meals were "too expensive." Maybe they should reconsider working me to the ground before complaining to me about my dinner expenses.
    - If you want to work yourself to the ground, while not getting paid appropriately for the hours and having to be cognizant about your dinner expenses at chipotle AND have no exit opps when you try to leave, by all means-- this may be the place for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to compete with bigger banks, I suggest you start paying employees like they work at bigger banks and giving them similar perks.

D&P

ProsThe people are the best thing about the company which being that the company is a consulting firm, is no real big surprise. The work is also very interesting and helps lay a great foundation of technical skills.

ConsThe organization is a little siloed and when chasing new deals, there seems to be a lot of angst about helping peers. This is almost detrimental to the ability to land new jobs. The compensation plan of management encourages this behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on removing the silos and foster a culture that encoruages working intra and inter divisions.

DP

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood learning experience for college grads

ConsCompensation was not above market for top performers

Decent work/life balance

Director (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosdecent work /life balance here

Conscompany is poorly run - too much fighting amongst groups over who gets the revenue versus actually maximizing revenue for the firm

Worked for Duff & Phelps? Contribute to the Community!

Duff & Phelps Videos

Duff & Phelps – Why Work for Us?

Sound decisions start with Duff & Phelps Here at Duff & Phelps, we know what it takes to power sound decisions: collaboration, expert training and insight. But ultimately, it all comes down to the human element: our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duff & Phelps reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Duff & Phelps CEO Noah Gottdiener. All 121 reviews posted anonymously by Duff & Phelps employees.