Duff & Phelps

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Duff & Phelps Chairman, President, and CEO Noah Gottdiener

Noah Gottdiener

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I had a positive experience with local management, but it wasn't the right job for me.

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsIntelligent colleagues who cared about more than just getting ahead. We worked together to get the job done and hopefully enjoy the experience. Support from office management was generally strong.

ConsManagement relied almost solely on billable hours to determine bonuses and raises, which overlooks quality and deters innovation. The executive team appeared not to care much for their staff, we were treated like cogs.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the annual review process to include more metrics. Billable hours do not solely determine productivity, and provide more Practice Development support for new VPs.

Vice President

Vice President (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSome smart people. Good benefits.

ConsUnpredictive hours. Some MDs are good, like Chicago and Boston. Some are not very good, like San Francisco and New York. Be prepared for urgent tasks at 7pm, while MD had all day to give it to you.
    No team work, people do their own thing without any communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain people, you must do a better job.

Great company to work for, especially out of undergrad.

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsEstablished company, respected name. Projects are dynamic and clients are usually well-known. Good benefits.

ConsWork/life balance and corporate culture can be improved. Promotions and bonuses are dictated by the success of your department and have lessened over the past few years. Employee turnover at the staff level is high but comparable to other investment banks and consulting firms.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I respectable place to launch a career in finance

Valuation Analyst (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSupportive coworkers always take time out of their day to help you. The training program is also very helpful to new analysts

ConsMonotonous, boring work. The firm lacks the fast paced environment that other financial service firms have to offer.

Overall the company is a good solid experience. Political issues within the company are difficult to deal with.

Director (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits
    Intelligent experienced management
    High end office spaces
    Guaranteed pay and expense reimbursement with fair timing

ConsLack of adequate communication related to performance
    Lack of follow up with individual employee issues
    Lack of cross selling

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more open to employees in order for them to understand
    requirements related to their position

Solid place to gain experience

San Francisco, CA

ProsDuff & Phelps can be a good place to work. The business units do not work closely together though, so if the management in your group is weak, you will suffer.

ConsCommunication is lacking, many senior managing directors have recently moved on to other firms because Duff & Phelps does not put talent retention at the top of it's list.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more proactive about paying your people what they coudl earn in similar positions with other companies rather than assuming they will stay.

All around average

San Francisco, CA

ProsThe work life balance is good most of the time as long as you are in the right office. The local managers are good and coworkers are smart and capable.

ConsSenior management doesn't care about employee input. Overall, raises and bonuses do not match the industry. There is no management reward for helping staff develop.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that local management is graded on how well they develop staff. Stop spending so much time worrying about the earnings each quarter and instead focus on strategies to make our product more attractive in the long-term

Good place to work. Work with a lot of big name clients

Valuation Analyst (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsStart doing value added work from your first day on the job. Office environment is not overly formal. Management willing to help you learn.

ConsOnce you have been working for six months to a year, the projects are routine with little variation. After a few years the work can get repetitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to put in place a continuing education program for analysts and seniors to work on during down time.

Worked for Duff & Phelps? Contribute to the Community!

Duff & Phelps Videos

Duff & Phelps – Why Work for Us?

Sound decisions start with Duff & Phelps Here at Duff & Phelps, we know what it takes to power sound decisions: collaboration, expert training and insight. But ultimately, it all comes down to the human element: our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duff & Phelps reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Duff & Phelps CEO Noah Gottdiener. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Duff & Phelps employees.