Duke Energy

Add Photos

Lynn J. Good

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing

Associate Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy as a contractor for more than a year

ProsIt was like a family. Incredible place to work, everyone is so friendly and helpful.

ConsIf you don't work in the DEC building, at least it's nice to look at from the window of whichever more shabby Duke building you're in.

Great co-op experience

Co-Op (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy as an intern for more than a year

ProsThe program was well rounded. I was given more responsibility than expected and felt I grew considerably in my time there.

ConsAs previously mentioned, there are many levels of management and it can slow down functionality at times.

Duke has it's positives and negatives

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsDuke has a family-like culture. It's a more laid back, non-stressful environment. Good work-life balance, a lot of people work from home on Fridays. They are trying to get more progressive but sometimes it seems like they are stuck in a good ol boys culture.

ConsI enjoy working here but there is a stagnant, non-innovating air to the corporate office. They don't convert contractors very often and they rely too much on contractors.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineering Intern

Nuclear Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy as an intern for less than a year

ProsSome good technical experience. Great name to have on resume. A few coworkers were amazing to work with.

ConsNot enough work given to interns. Often times sat around surfing the internet aimlessly for hours (after continuously asking for more work). A lot of the work given was database entry/organization. Lack of opportunity. No mentor-ship or professional development. Supervisor maybe talked to me 5 times the entire summer. Full time engineering jobs seem to be "cookie cutter" jobs across the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange culture in nuclear to bring the next generation of young employees in. Encourage professional development and reward hard working employees.

lead engineer

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Prosjob security and good pay / benefits

Conspromotional opportunities are not much

Declining Fast

Nuclear Security (Current Employee)
Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Pay, benefits, that's really all the pros i can list at this time

ConsHorrible management, people come last, after merger with Progress constant negative change such as removing benefits, schedule changes, moral is bad

Advice to Senior Managementstart managing your people better the quality employees are leaving and will continue to those who place quality of quantity (respect over money) will not tolerate the environment

Most passive aggressive environment

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Prosthe pay was very good

Consno training, original supervisor replaced by a contractor who had no people/resource management skills. shabby office conditions

Advice to Senior ManagementBe upfront with expectations and goals

Marketing Manager

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Duke Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDuke Energy is an excellent company with great benefits.

ConsI do not have anything negative to say about Duke Energy. I worked there for 27 years which tells you how much I loved working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great job that you are doing. I love that Duke Energy is a progressive utility.

Duke Energy review

CAD Designer/Drafter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEnjoyed working for Duke in the past

ConsWould like to work in an area where my skills are put to better use.

People are good; colossal industry challenges; overworked; under-staffed/paid

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros* First of all, Lynn Good is the new CEO so this site needs to be updated. So far, she is strategic and practical. She is personable, well liked and most employees agree this was a good move.
* On the whole, Duke Energy employees are decent people. Fun to work with.
* There is a good work/life balance, but only if your manager upholds this value. It is not consistent throughout the company.
* Nice work environment, but not for the majority of employees. Many work in run down and depressing buildings. Executive offices in old buildings are the only nice areas.
* Executive leadership is smart and on the whole, good people.
* Employees really do care about how we serve our customers and go to high levels to make sure our operations are safe and clean.

Cons* Change, change, change, change ... get the point?
* Don't try and teach an old dog a new trick. Duke Energy hurts itself because too many people have been there for a LONG time and they do not comprehend the importance of integrating modern ideas or technologies into the company culture.
* Internal technologies and platforms are HORRIBLE and/or outdated. No money for improvements, but a lot of money for other unimportant things.
* Cuts, cuts, and more cuts! Departments are operating on fumes while overworking their staff with no relief in the foreseeable future. Employees are told to do more with less, but the problem is that they have been doing more with less for years, but now it will get worse.
* Regulated Utility=No $$. The government and EPA regulate the heck out of the company. Hard work will never equate to a good living and high earning potential unless you are an executive. Go to BP or Shell.
* Limited potential for promotions. You'll need to leave to climb the ladder.
* Not all, but most of mid-management (different titles across the company) is the problem. Many do not have the experience or got the job because of good old Duke tenure. Duke fails to train people how to be managers, directors or good communicators.
* Very top leaders are good peeps, but one who runs several units is well known for ruling with a fist of fear. Those business units are stifled with fog because everyone is afraid to make a decision. This is another reason things will not change.
* Wasteful spending on loads of contractors.
* Purple Dinosaur Barney "safety" messages. They treat employees like little kids and even video taped employees to get bad habits on camera!

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement 360 evaluations, especially for mid- through top-level leadership. Right now, there is no accountability to employees, who happen to be stockholders.
Stop using corporate speak

Worked for Duke Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duke Energy reviews and ratings in Charlotte, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Duke Energy CEO Lynn J. Good. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Duke Energy employees.