Duke Energy

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lynn J. Good

Pros:
  • "Flexible Schedules, very manageable workload, Good Benefits"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Huge company, very stable work environment, not a lot of change"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The inability of local management to offer or guarantee a co-op student a full-time job upon graduation can be frustrating"
    in 4 reviews
  • "A few - The Duke Energy Center (old building in Charlotte) is a total dump - 30"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Declining Fast

Nuclear Security (Current Employee)
Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Pay, benefits, that's really all the pros i can list at this time

ConsHorrible management, people come last, after merger with Progress constant negative change such as removing benefits, schedule changes, moral is bad

Advice to Senior Managementstart managing your people better the quality employees are leaving and will continue to those who place quality of quantity (respect over money) will not tolerate the environment

Duke was a good place to work several years ago but with all the mergers and management changes its not the same..

Operator (Former Employee)
Terrell, NC

I worked at Duke Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery high pay for the work done. You get a lot of days off with a rotating schedule. Top pay is almost $35 an hour for fossil operators.

ConsThere is no support from management. Hard work gets you no where with the company. Benefits have been cut over the last few years and now they are pushing high deductible insurance on everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to worry less about mergers and more about your people.

My experience was pleasant and the company always put safety first.

Fire Watch (Current Employee)
Seneca, SC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time for less than a year

ProsSafety regulations and procedures were extensive and followed through very well.

ConsAt the Oconee plant there was not enough parking during outages and it caused issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter parking system

Good experience

Project Management Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke Energy as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Multiple chances for professional development (professional training courses, resources in company library)
-At power plants, opportunity to see the outcome of engineering projects
-Chances to get out of the office, with walk downs, trainings, and other aspects of power plant operation

Cons-Working in the nuclear side of the business, everything slows down due to heavy risk management
-It is easy to lose sight of goals for large projects, that span 4-6 years.
-Important, but security concerns/reviews/approvals can greatly impact work and schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementBe ready to make changes, the traditional utility business model may see change in the near future. Management should make sure employees and the company culture is ready for that.

Solid Company

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSolid and steady company
Bonuses are great
Culture and Values are great

ConsIndividual development is lacking
Salary is not competitive and increases are minimal
Growth and opportunities depends on manager

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to promote development of individuals.

Marketing Manager

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Duke Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDuke Energy is an excellent company with great benefits.

ConsI do not have anything negative to say about Duke Energy. I worked there for 27 years which tells you how much I loved working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great job that you are doing. I love that Duke Energy is a progressive utility.

Duke Energy review

CAD Designer/Drafter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEnjoyed working for Duke in the past

ConsWould like to work in an area where my skills are put to better use.

People are good; colossal industry challenges; overworked; under-staffed/paid

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros* First of all, Lynn Good is the new CEO so this site needs to be updated. So far, she is strategic and practical. She is personable, well liked and most employees agree this was a good move.
* On the whole, Duke Energy employees are decent people. Fun to work with.
* There is a good work/life balance, but only if your manager upholds this value. It is not consistent throughout the company.
* Nice work environment, but not for the majority of employees. Many work in run down and depressing buildings. Executive offices in old buildings are the only nice areas.
* Executive leadership is smart and on the whole, good people.
* Employees really do care about how we serve our customers and go to high levels to make sure our operations are safe and clean.

Cons* Change, change, change, change ... get the point?
* Don't try and teach an old dog a new trick. Duke Energy hurts itself because too many people have been there for a LONG time and they do not comprehend the importance of integrating modern ideas or technologies into the company culture.
* Internal technologies and platforms are HORRIBLE and/or outdated. No money for improvements, but a lot of money for other unimportant things.
* Cuts, cuts, and more cuts! Departments are operating on fumes while overworking their staff with no relief in the foreseeable future. Employees are told to do more with less, but the problem is that they have been doing more with less for years, but now it will get worse.
* Regulated Utility=No $$. The government and EPA regulate the heck out of the company. Hard work will never equate to a good living and high earning potential unless you are an executive. Go to BP or Shell.
* Limited potential for promotions. You'll need to leave to climb the ladder.
* Not all, but most of mid-management (different titles across the company) is the problem. Many do not have the experience or got the job because of good old Duke tenure. Duke fails to train people how to be managers, directors or good communicators.
* Very top leaders are good peeps, but one who runs several units is well known for ruling with a fist of fear. Those business units are stifled with fog because everyone is afraid to make a decision. This is another reason things will not change.
* Wasteful spending on loads of contractors.
* Purple Dinosaur Barney "safety" messages. They treat employees like little kids and even video taped employees to get bad habits on camera!

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement 360 evaluations, especially for mid- through top-level leadership. Right now, there is no accountability to employees, who happen to be stockholders.
Stop using corporate speak

Great company.

I have been working at Duke Energy

ProsGood salary and benefits for interns.

ConsNot enough interaction with other interns. Did not have much opportunity to tour facilities.

Duke's way or the highway

Plant Operator (Current Employee)
Crystal River, FL

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInteresting work. The people I work with (local) are good people.

ConsProgress Energy was bought out 2 years ago by Duke. The corporate machine changes are now coming down and all is not well. Duke is changing things just to let us all know who is in charge. Some things don't work for particular sites, but that doesn't matter as long as it matches what every other site in Duke is doing. Too much emphasis on corporate matching. On top of that, Duke just slashed it's non-bargaining unit employees pay and benefits in Florida, and is currently working on doing the same to the bargaining unit employees. It's not a cost cutting measure to save jobs or keep the company afloat. It's not even industry standard, it's pure corporate greed and Duke trying to be the "trend setters"

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees that actually make the company money, not just senior level managers.

Worked for Duke Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duke Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Duke Energy CEO Lynn J. Good. All 100 reviews posted anonymously by Duke Energy employees.