Duke Energy

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lynn J. Good

Pros
  • Flexible Schedules, very manageable workload, Good Benefits (in 13 reviews)

• There is a good work/life balance, but only if your manager upholds this value (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The inability of local management to offer or guarantee a co-op student a full-time job upon graduation can be frustrating (in 4 reviews)

• You can get put in some high stress situations and work long hours on depending on what is going on at that time (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsBenefits, time off policies and community involvement

ConsGrowth, Pay, old school mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace older management with younger management

From Retiree

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsPay is very good and a strong commitment to safety

ConsCompany is now very large and not employee friendly
    Have to be flexible to travel

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce or freeze top executive salary

Excellent

ProsGreat people to work for

ConsNo5 hang negative to say about

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice for the management thanks

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Generally, a decent place to work if you are an Engineer or in that field. Hard to promote from within.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, work/lift balance is good. If you are one of the chosen, you have plenty of locations to work.

ConsHard to promote up unless you are an engineer.

layers

Heldeks (Current Employee)

ProsDuke has a great business model and longevity in the market. You know of high degree of certainty that they willnot go out of business.

ConsThe business model does not work well for the IT consultant (contractor) after six and a half years still no permanent position.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more permanent employees

Struggling to find its way - merges then allows the less advanced safety & corp culture lead.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsProvides decent workplaces.
    Plenty of work to do.
    Awards by performance

ConsTrying to adhere to the govt mandated diversity requirements essentially overnight. WMales in some groups have no chance of moving up. This has been directly communicated by some dept GM's
    Business Process systems have pushed a lot of work to first line management while admin support is essentially gone. Making bad long term decisions to meet severe budget limitations (cut out work and people) to meet short term objectives that will cost a lot to correct after the people making the bad decisions are gone.
    Past CEO,

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the constant rotation of management and severe O&M reduction doesn't cull out the internal control of key safety functions and practices. Span of control expansion was forced too far at the last merger. Burn out and poor work quality is going to shortly be the next lesson learned. Too many "non-doers" being advanced.

Wonderful place to work with good advancement opportunities.

Associate Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat benefits, good people and great management.

ConsMost jobs are located in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Good place to work

Project Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsRoom to learn and grow.

ConsRegulated utility tend to have reorgs when stock dips.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake them up ebver so often really good management team now.

Positive summer internship

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsInternship provided the right mix of training and room for experimentation that allowed me to take a lot away by the end of the summer. All the team members were great to work with and always took time out their day to help me when I needed it.

ConsNot many negatives here outside the typical large corporation complaints. It can take a while to see movement on a project given the bureaucracy found in companies this large. Compensation wasn't bad for an intern, but wasn't great either.

Good pay and slightly above average benefits

Engineering Technician I (Current Employee) Salisbury, NC

ProsGood pay and decent benefits. Safety is the first priority in all aspects of work. Team mates typically willing to help when they can.

ConsPersonal growth is limited. To go far in your career it is helpful to have a sponsor even though it is not supposed to be so. They are trying to run as lean as possible, my work group went from 23 to 18 in a year and a half and no new employees were brought in for same and increasing work load.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hire more employees all around from talking with coworkers in other departments too.

Worked for Duke Energy? Contribute to the Community!