Duke Energy

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lynn J. Good

Pros
  • Flexible Schedules, very manageable workload, Good Benefits(in 13 reviews)

• There is a good work/life balance, but only if your manager upholds this value(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The inability of local management to offer or guarantee a co-op student a full-time job upon graduation can be frustrating(in 4 reviews)

• You can get put in some high stress situations and work long hours on depending on what is going on at that time(in 3 reviews)

From Retiree

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsPay is very good and a strong commitment to safety

ConsCompany is now very large and not employee friendly
    Have to be flexible to travel

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce or freeze top executive salary

layers

Heldeks (Current Employee)

ProsDuke has a great business model and longevity in the market. You know of high degree of certainty that they willnot go out of business.

ConsThe business model does not work well for the IT consultant (contractor) after six and a half years still no permanent position.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more permanent employees

Excellent

ProsGreat people to work for

ConsNo5 hang negative to say about

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice for the management thanks

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful place to work with good advancement opportunities.

Associate Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat benefits, good people and great management.

ConsMost jobs are located in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Poor company, unless you work important positions in North Carolina

Operations (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsGood pay, stable job. Generally good benefits.

ConsIncompetent management pervasive throughout company, very slow movement up or down ladder; A LOT of bureaucracy to deal with every day. Company generally extremely inflexible. Expect people less competent to be promoted. Similar to government work in that almost 20% of the workforce has "checked out" and will avoid any work. The best educator for what it's like for most (not all!) Duke Employees? Read Dilbert.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to be considered honest, act honestly. Same thing goes for integrity. Don't take a huge bonus the next time you say that all budgets are too tight, and your employees may believe you a bit more.

Good pay and slightly above average benefits

Engineering Technician I (Current Employee) Salisbury, NC

ProsGood pay and decent benefits. Safety is the first priority in all aspects of work. Team mates typically willing to help when they can.

ConsPersonal growth is limited. To go far in your career it is helpful to have a sponsor even though it is not supposed to be so. They are trying to run as lean as possible, my work group went from 23 to 18 in a year and a half and no new employees were brought in for same and increasing work load.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hire more employees all around from talking with coworkers in other departments too.

Good place to work

Project Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsRoom to learn and grow.

ConsRegulated utility tend to have reorgs when stock dips.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake them up ebver so often really good management team now.

Nuclear is backwards and not at all up to date on tech as the interview makes you think

Technical Lead (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsStable if you can avoid the political pitfalls, good people when they are not playing politics

Conssome people have been at the company so long that they are stuck in thier ways and they have no respect for new talent they want a zombie that follows orders and is willing to work in the stone age of .net.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn that new approaches are not the devil and your support staff need to update their skills.

Great place to work for.

Prosgood service sometimes but not so much

Consmistreat customers keep increasing bills

Advice to Senior Managementhire new management

Positive summer internship

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsInternship provided the right mix of training and room for experimentation that allowed me to take a lot away by the end of the summer. All the team members were great to work with and always took time out their day to help me when I needed it.

ConsNot many negatives here outside the typical large corporation complaints. It can take a while to see movement on a project given the bureaucracy found in companies this large. Compensation wasn't bad for an intern, but wasn't great either.

Worked for Duke Energy? Contribute to the Community!