Duke Energy Reviews

Updated April 19, 2015
194 reviews filtered by

1. The Merger ruined a perfectly good company

I worked at Duke Energy

Pros

The family of people working there

Cons

Disconnect from senior management to lower levels, the merger from Progress Energy to Duke

A Great Company for Those Who are Ambitious

Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy

Pros

Great benefits, bonus and an emphasis on work-life balance. Executive management makes a great effort to demonstrate compassion for its employees. I've found it to be a good company in which to network and get noticed if you have strong value-added benefits to the organization to leverage.

Cons

There is still fall-out from the recent merger. Getting on the same page with team members on office culture can at times be a challenge when folks from Legacy Progress and Legacy Duke are put together.

Advice to Management

Continue committed efforts for transparency within the organization. Continue to promote a culture of operational excellence and employee engagement. You're on the right track.

3. Good people and nice place to work

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Duke Energy as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The pay was good. Management knew what they needed, and when. My projects were always very interesting and challenging. Strong focus on safety.

Cons

I worked in 2 plants. The environment was pretty rough (need a hardhat if you go anywhere) , so if you're looking for a cozy office space, maybe this isn't the place for you.

5. Duke Energy, a fine place to work!

Current Employee - Control Room Operator
    Current Employee - Control Room Operator

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depth of resources and expertise
    Competitive benefits and compensation
    Safety Conscious Culture
    Online Computer Based Training is nice for compliance

Cons

Central IT administration prevents anything getting done at the plant level. Very cumbersome.
    Procedures are very broad and heavy with paperwork. Trying to cover different process (coal plant vs gas plant) with same procedures which doesn't work. Should be specific to type of operations.

6. Great company to learn different areas of business.

Former Employee - Regional Logistics Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Regional Logistics Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their employee benefits package.
    Support of development of employee.
    Always stay in 5 star hotels as company policy when travelling.
    Fortune 500
    World recognized and helped me learn about various areas of business in the energy industry.

Cons

Pay rate is not competitive at all.

Advice to Management

Make sure the company policy and culture cemented and implemented in the other countries Duke Energy operates.

Hire professionals. Use the example of HR in Duke Energy Peru and Brazil to implement in Central America.

Invest in Latin America. Do not let the past errors of management take control of the future of the company.

7. IT Intern

Former Employee - IT Intern
    Former Employee - IT Intern

I worked at Duke Energy

Pros

Great intern job. Pay was good and management knew what they were doing. Work was interesting and challenging.

Cons

Can get violations for walking down the stairs without holding the handrail.

8. good company to work with

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and benifits. Flex work schedule. Coworkers are very helpful. Too much work for full time employee.

Cons

Slow professional growth. Trainings are related with only work procedure not many technical trainings

9. Dysfunction

Former Employee - Senior Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst

I worked at Duke Energy

Pros

You could work 40 years doing nothing and still get paid.

Cons

Management is completely incompetent. If they were not guaranteed to make a profit they would already be out of business.

Advice to Management

Next round of headcount reductions, start by getting rid of the person you see in the mirror.

10. Meeting "delivery" requirements overshadows doing the right thing.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Duke Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging fulfilling work. Was able to expand my breadth of knowledge and experience. Benefits were decent but not best in class.

Cons

In interviews I tell people that I left the company due to the impending merger -- a good politically correct answer. I really left due to my AWFUL manager who was put in his position for one reason and one reason only -- his race, a card he played to get ahead.

This individual, because he was uneducated and incompetent, micromanaged, bullied and otherwise made our lives MISERABLE. He piled on work to those of us who would do it, because he had absolutely no control over the slackers who wouldn't. I was insulted that he had the opportunity to review me as an employee and had any say in my future with the company.

Advice to Management

The bigger the machine, the more scrutiny. Hire and promote the best people for the job. Nepotism, favoritism, racial preference is RAMPANT at the site level and should stop. Half of our department left because of the manager, by either leaving the company or going to other departments. Did you even take note? You had good people leave simply to placate the NAACP.

11. My internship was irrelevant to my career goals

Former Intern - IT Intern in Charlotte, NC
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

It's a wonderful work environment. All the employees seemed happy, and there was an extremely high retention rate. Some teams allow flexible work hours and the option to work from home.

Cons

I was placed in a team that was irrelevant to my career goals. In addition to that problem, I was placed on a team with a steep learning curve that required months of training to become a useful member. As an Intern, I was not there long enough to be useful, and my teammates were reluctant to train me because they knew I would be gone before I could contribute useful work to the team.

Advice to Management

It would be more beneficial to place Interns on teams with lower learning curves, or teams that are able to create meaningful work tasks for the Intern.