Duke Energy

www.duke-energy.com
Profile Unclaimed

Best Project Management effort in my experience!

Former Contractor - Senior Design Analyst in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Contractor - Senior Design Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Duke Energy as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Project Management was on top of the action. Changes and issues were well controlled and they had very knowledgeable users supporting the efforts.

Cons

Pay was on the low side, that is for contractors. They apparently knew how to control the rate setting and the vendor I was working through didn't seem to have any much to say about it.

Keep their Project Management Team happy, they were great to work for.

Strong company

I have been working at Duke Energy (more than 8 years)

Pros

Personal growth, close to home, everyone will always want their product... strong company.

Cons

work-life balance, pay is low for the expectations

LISTEN

Excellent place for a career with plenty of opportunity to grow and advance.

Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diversity, work-family mix, variety of career choices

Cons

Service territory can be challenging

Educational

I have been working at Duke Energy

Pros

Learn something to be a better call center agent

Cons

Do not know of any yet

Keep up the good work

A good utility company

Former Intern - Co-Op
    Former Intern - Co-Op

I worked at Duke Energy as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Offers a wide variety of positions for lateral and vertical movement. Safety is top priority. Family-based values. Copious networking opportunities.

Cons

It is a challenge to find reports and drawings. The company has made an effort to digitize all reports and drawings, but there are documents that have fallen through the cracks. If the document has no digital copy then it can be difficult to find the physical copy as there are many places that it could be located (corporate hq, power plant drawing room or document room, power plant local disk drive, storage cabinets, engineer's desk drawer).

College Co-op Engineering

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op

I worked at Duke Energy full-time

Pros

Everyone is extremely helpful and willing to help you learn. The mentors that you are assigned with for the most part are willing to help you learn and be useful at what you are doing.

Cons

Didn't get an offer after co-op. The company at the time is not concerned with hiring college students, they more hire for the position that is needed at that time.

Horrible, nerve wracking job for minimal pay. not even the benefits are worth the emotional stress

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

At the time I worked here, the benefits were the best part about this job, but looking back now that I have a decent job that doesnt leave me in tears every night I will gladly pay for my own insurrance

Cons

everything.. it counted against your "attendance" to use your EARNED paid sick time.. constant harassment and verbal abuse from customers, minimal notice of mandatory overtime, sometimes 14-16 hour work days.. learning you have to stay 2-4 extra hours about 5 minutes before you were scheduled to get off because of bad weather/storms, ridiculous rules like not being able to talk on your cell phone while walking even in the parking lot, unfair schedule bids and vacation bids that allowed seniority to choose first.. actually having to bid to see if you could get Christmas and like holidays off that should be standard.. i could go on, but finally, putting up with all this nonsense while making a pitiful $12 per hour.

Too much to list.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible work-hours, benefits

Cons

Merger between Duke Energy and Progress Energy resulted in the loss of several great processes from the Progress side. Morale has been low this year due to the Dan River incident. The company is struggling through a "reputation repair" plan, which would not have been necessary if senior leaders had allowed our communications department to do its work and not relied on crisis management consultants for advice, which ended up helping to ruin our reputation.

We are a solid company because we have great employees. Rely on them and trust them. If you can't trust them during crisis situations, why did you hire them the first place?

Poor Middle Management focused on their own accomplishments and bonuses.

Current Employee - Production Team Supervisor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Production Team Supervisor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is great, benifits continue to decline away to about nothing. not to many positives with the new Duke. It was a much better company to work for when we were Progress Energy and before that Florida Power. There was at least family values within the ranks. Now it's 100% business.

Cons

This companies upper and middle management talks the talk but does not walk the walk.. It's all about whats best for them. Safey is always the talk... Don;t get me wrong, I totally beleive in safety, but you have to know how to appoce it in a better way. It's always easier to pull a rope rather than push it. This companies leadership is just to pushy. Wrong approce in so many areas.

Change is NOT always good, tradition is best. Stick to things that work and have always worked . Don't forget your employees have families and lives as well.You will always get more out of someone if you recognize their strengths and not always looking for their weaknesses to beat them down with.

Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Instrumentation Tech in Huntersville, NC
    Former Employee - Instrumentation Tech in Huntersville, NC

I worked at Duke Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was good
    Job security
    Room for advancement within the company

Cons

Too many hours required
    Very high stress environment