Duke Energy Reviews

Reset

Nuclear Security Officer - McGuire Nuclear Station

Current Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Huntersville, NC
    Current Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Huntersville, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay...could be better based on the horrible work schedule alone! Not to mention the wear and tear the excessive equipment puts on your weapons belt but on your body. Oh and they are in the process of issuing each officer their own assault rifle to carry on top of a pistol, handcuffs, gas mask, pepper spray, flashlight, & 3 pistol mags.

Cons

Horrible Horrible Horrible upper management in the Security Department. You will not advance if your not a part of the "good ole boy" system..and can completely forget about if if your a WOMAN! Since the merger with Progress Energy things have gotten worse, which we didn't believe was possible. They have gone to a incentive based pay increase system, which again gives the "good ole boys" a way to push everyone out whose not a part of their BS and refuses to be!

Advice to Management

GUT the entire upper management and back office and restaff or you have yet to see the worse of your problems!

Bloated Bureaucracy and Nasty Coworkers

Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Southport, NC
    Current Employee - Nuclear Engineer in Southport, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay & Benefits Are Satisfactory. The beach and major amenities are nearby and the cost of living is rather low. Plenty of "opportunities" to succeed. For engineering: for the most part documentation is strong making information relatively trivial to find. Engineering management is very good and fair. Many meals are comp'd by the company which definitely shows the company is showing us we are worthwhile. They also have an amazing relocation package (there are significant cons to it, see cons).

Cons

Chronic acceptance of plant problems by management and personnel. They must close their eyes while they are saying "we will not accept problems". If you end up identifying longstanding problems(like they tell you they want you to do) it becomes your problem to solve them. It can be quite frustrating and overwhelming. Coworkers are thickheaded and not receptive to innovative ideas and can be extremely cynical and negative - it is contagious. There is a reason why this facility has struggled for years to even simply make par with regulating organizations - the culture of its employees is terrible! More on that: personnel are very clichy. If you don't agree with them on issues be prepared for your job to be impossible. There is a subliminal level of harassment to this. In all honesty I'd have left within a couple on months of the job initially; however, per the relocation agreement, I'd owe every cent of a hefty sum back if I left within two years of my hire date. There are still quite a few new hires that have left within a couple months of being hired and paid back the money anyway just to get out. I am counting down to my two year mark.

Slow paced, relaxed and friendly atmosphere

Former Employee - IT Associate I in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - IT Associate I in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy

Pros

Great work/life balance, never felt overwhelmed with work, lots of opportunities to move around. Good benefits.

Cons

Slow pace can be a drag at times, fair amount of office politics, decisions can sometimes take a while to be made.

Advice to Management

I would recommend figuring out how to move things along faster without all the politics involved.

5. Large organization, patience and diplomacy required

I have been working at Duke Energy

Pros

If you're interested in energy, this is a great place to work. Opportunities to learn constantly.

Cons

Very bureaucratic, slow-moving. If you're someone who likes a fast-paced environment, this could be challenging.

Advice to Management

Embrace change.

6. Great Company

I worked at Duke Energy

Pros

Was off every Friday and still working 40 hours

Cons

Remote location, cafeteria was subpar

Advice to Management

Change FFD rules regarding contractors

7. Account Executive

I have been working at Duke Energy

Pros

Flexibility, obtainable objectives, fair benefits package

Cons

good jobs reside in the South, Midwest jobs limited. Slow cumbersome decision making, Utility entiltement

Advice to Management

Focus on the customer!

The organization leadership is poor at best

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Duke Energy

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere with minimal accountability and expectations

Cons

Leadership throughout the organization is not the best. Individuals are placed in roles without experience or knowledge. Most managers have never been trained to manage.

Advice to Management

Place individuals in roles for which they are qualified to perform. Instill a performance based compensation structure and remove all of the incompetent leaders from their existing roles. With an average employee age of 55, the organization has yet to begin succession planning. Run the business like a business, not a monopoly for which the cost of running the business is consistently overlooked and passed on to the ratepayers.

9. Nuclear Operations is both challenging and rewarding!

Current Employee - Nuclear Control Operator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Nuclear Control Operator in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and Wages, Job Security, Comradery, Shift Rotation provides time off during the weekdays, and Sense of Purpose and Satisfaction

Cons

Shift Rotation requires changing sleep schedules. Sometimes the scheduled time off does not match well with business hours, school hours, and normal 9-5 lifestyles.

Advice to Management

I recommend providing operators with more exposure to other parts of the business, be it projects, rotational positions, or pipelines to other departments.

Customer Service Rep

Current Employee - Customer Services Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Services Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Duke Energy

Pros

Meals and hotels doing storm overtime, benefits, paid training, incentive

Cons

Rude customers, Be prepared to work unscheduled overtime all the time. 12+ hour days back to back.

Advice to Management

Provide more advancement opportunities. A lot of highly educated seasoned reps on the floor that never get growth opportunities.

Configuration Management

Former Employee - Configuration Management Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Configuration Management Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Duke Energy

Pros

Big Company with visibility in community. Great opportunities and projects in different cities.

Cons

Salary is a bit challenging. Need to allow contractor more advance notice when contract has been extended or ended.

RSS Feed </> Embed