Duke Realty Reviews

4.1
Denny Oklak

1. 2015 Review

I have been working at Duke Realty

Pros

Work with a lot of smart people. Can have a lot of responsibility if you ask for it, depending on your team. Flexible if you need it.

Cons

Not every office operates the same which can be extremely frustrating. Your want's are not always considered when put in a certain situation. Some of the upper management is great while others seem very unapproachable.

Advice to Management

When hiring someone, keep in mind their path forward instead of only focusing in the now.

2. Senior Vice President

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Duke Realty

Pros

I don't have any desire to retire for another 10 years.

Cons

I enjoyed my 30 years at Duke Realty, but the company has been downsizing and I got caught in the downsizing.

Advice to Management

Hire the best people to promote your brand.

3. CEO is smart and cares for the company. Does what he needs to in a tough market to keep the boat afloat.

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Duke Realty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Real estate is a tough market. At its heyday, bonuses in this company were healthy, benefits were plentiful and fostering cohesive teams was a top priority. The offices were in class A buildings and nearly everyone had their own office. I made very close friends during my tenure there. Even though my department was let go to streamline company functions, they were professional and forthright about it, offered a nice severance package, set us up with recruiters and helped any way they could to find us new jobs. How many companies do this?

Cons

I don't work there anymore.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and make sure this company stays around a long time.

Awesome Company

I worked at Duke Realty full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, very focused on employee enrichment. Very nice working environment. Top of the line benefits and above industry pay scale. Fast paced, energetic environment that is challenging and spirited, but excellent work/life balance encouraged by management.

Cons

If you work for a commercial real estate investment trust, you have to keep in mind that the business is managing, building, buying and SELLING buildings. The sale of a large package of buildings resulted in restructuring in the market I was in and a number of positions were eliminated as a result - mine included. Still, the company was exemplary in dealing with associates - both those leaving and those who remained. Duke is a fantastic company and I feel privileged to have been a part of the team.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote and protect the company culture you have built.

6. At one time, this was a great place to work. Environment has become "very stale"

Current Employee - Support Role
    Current Employee - Support Role

I have been working at Duke Realty full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

work-life balance not micro managed overall, pleasant office environment

Cons

lower pay no room, virtually no room for advancement at all. too many people in the same positions for too, too long. Stale teams.

Advice to Management

Bring in some fresh industry talent Provide more training to those who are not a fit for the c-suite training programs.

7. Used to be an outstanding place to work

I worked at Duke Realty full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, not micro managed

Cons

Lack of mid level leadership

Advice to Management

Recognize the people that are really doing the work

8. This is one of the best places I have worked.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Duke Realty

Pros

Concern for employees and their families. Very friendly even the top bosses are open to talking with all employees. Very diverse and very concerned about customer service. Customer service at Duke Realty means other business and even other associates. Very good place to work.

Cons

Every place has its ups and downs, sometimes some of the employees do not get along with others but top personnel tries to work with keeping it to a minimum.

Advice to Management

Would like to see some money put in the budget to allow some employees the ability to go to training conferences.

9. Former accountant can play the game, but will he go all in when the going gets tough?

Current Employee - Vice President in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Vice President in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Duke Realty

Pros

When I was first hired at Duke, it was a breath of fresh air from my previous employer. The atmosphere was younger & I felt that Duke was going to take on the world. I also noticed that people tend to stay at Duke once they are hired. Over the past 3 years, Duke expanded into several new markets and gained a more national profile. New markets meant new challenges. We have more buildings and more opportunities. In my time at Duke, I have reported to many people and, for the most part, none of my bosses have micro managed my performance.

Cons

We can say we are all working toward the same goal, but in reality, we feel we are working for the best interests of those with the biggest titles and those on commissions.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Walk the walk. In a similar bad year, Tom Hefner put his bonus back into the bonus pool.

DRE is a great place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Manager of Financial Analysis in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager of Financial Analysis in Chicago, IL

I worked at Duke Realty

Pros

1. Strong business model - it's a reit run by accountants. They are not risk averse, but prudent in the manner in which they employ capital. Management seems to take a longer term view, than some of the other firms in the same competitive set. 2.Senior management is talented, sincere, and equitable - from the top down, the organization is run by good people. It is a very collaborative organization. Management is open and honest. 3.Great working environment - good work life balance. Good group of people to work with. For the most part, everyone does their job (well). Advancement, etc is predominantly distributed in a manner that rewards those that are deserving. The level of office politics is much lower than other places.

Cons

Many functional areas lack a definitive career path. There is room for advancement and growth, it's not as delineated as at some other firms.

Advice to Management

Continue with the listed positives. Continue to address the career path issue.

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Duke Realty

Pros

Duke is really good company to work at for several reasons. 1.) Community involvement. They promote and encourage employees to get involved in the community they work or live in. Each employee gets 2 paid days off for community service and the company will match donations up to $1,000.

Cons

One of the downsides Duke has it seems there are employees in postions they don't deserve to be in. Need to take the good 'ol boy network down and promote based upon merrit.

Advice to Management

Doing a good job in my tenure and need to fight through the downturn in the economy.

RSS Feed </> Embed