Duke University

Duke University Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Duke University President and Trustee Dick Brodhead

Dick Brodhead

Pros
  • Great work-life balance and a ton of flexibility in terms of scheduling(in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, wonderful co-workers (in most jobs)(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • If you do want to work hard, opportunities for advancement are not easy to come by(in 8 reviews)

• long hours, office space, management(in 8 reviews)

Top place to work

Program Assistant (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Prosfamily community, great benefits, great pay, numerous opportunities, brilliant people, very diverse, they appreciate their employees, great faculty and staff, always part of the team even after leaving

ConsParking is definitely a con, but that is common with universities. Parking in the summer is not as bad as it is during the school year.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone--Keep up the good work!

Great benefits

ProsThe benefits are great, especially the 403B plan. If you're salaried you can contribute as little as 3% and they will contribute more than 8%.

Job stability here is better than a lot of for-profit companies.

ConsThe trade off for the benefits and stability is lower than average salaries, small raises, and no bonuses. You also have to pay for parking!

Great time as a teacher's assistant

Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsAs a student you get the chance to earn an extra bit of money, besides what your parents provide, while at the same time re-learning material from a past class and helping students within your age range.

ConsThe work load of grading papers, attending classes without getting credits, and hosting office hours in place of the professor can take a toll on studies and social life, but otherwise it was a great experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessors that take on TAs: Make it clear exactly what you'd like them to do. Us as students want to make as much money a week as possible. It helps to know what we should do during our paid hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Resources

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsYou get to cross any lines necessary to research leading information.

ConsThere are none to speak of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Great Coworkers

Residential Counsellor, DUKE TIP East (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsFriendly atmosphere, while not forgetting about the work. All hardworking staff.

ConsShort contract period. Perhaps a bit under-paid?

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Doing What You're Doing

Awesome Cutting Edge Research

Analyst (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsAt DHVI you will be able to work with world class scientists on projects that are cutting edge. Your work can have a huge impact on human health and will give you a lot of job satisfaction. The professors are world class and each and everyone is easy to work with, no big egos here.

ConsNo room to grow. If you are not a Professor you are temporary. This company is a great place to get trained but promotions are slow or non-existent. Many people just come here for the recommendation letters and training then are gone in a couple of years. If you are here after 3 years then you have no ambition. Raises are pathetic and do not even keep up with inflation. There is no reason to give you a good raise because they are not expecting to retain your services. You need to fill the donut hole. There are other people besides Professor and Tech IIs. The real work gets done by the people in the middle who are highly competent and driven. These people should be rewarded not sacrificed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a career path for people. Constantly training new people slows down the work and wastes resources. Keeping solid productive people makes sense and will improve the overall production level.

great place to work.

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Prosexcellent benefits, flexible time off, good work-life balance, very good professional resources for graduate students, postdocs and research scientists, innovative and interesting work.

Conslack of teamwork; this is research group specific and depends on the principle investigator; I experienced only limited interactions between research groups.

Advice to Senior Managementcreate better team environment

Research Assistant

ProsFlexible hours, covered insurance, great faculty

ConsNo training, no personal care, sometimes weekend work

Advice to Senior Managementmeed to have a constructive hr system

Research Assistant at Math Department

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsThe best part of working at Duke is the access to amazing faculty and resources- I worked directly with the inventor of JPEG at Duke and learned a great deal.

ConsWork load can be great and work-life balance can be better.

Great benefits, poor pay, big egos - work environment varies widely

Manager-level Staff (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsThe benefits (403(b), medical coverage, business discounts and tuition help, to name a few) are outstanding. The campus is beautiful and convenient to commuters. Job security appears to be good.

ConsPay is poor for non-faculty - it looks good on paper if you factor in benefits, but is lousy if you need liquidity. Work-life balance, office environment and many other factors are highly dependent on which unit you're in and who you work for. Egos are out of control - faculty "stars" are put in charge of staff with little guidance on management and no motivation to gain any, and grudges between higher-level faculty/staff can really hamstring others. Academic/meeting-heavy culture means it can take forever to get things done. Promises at hiring of potential movement/promotion within the university have not been kept (for me or others).

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers to manage programs, not "superstar" academics with no managerial experience (or MAKE them work cooperatively with managing directors). Increase staff salaries or offer the option of a more traditional 403(b) match for employees who need cash now. Develop clearer career paths and opportunities for those who want to move within the university. Encourage efficiency and bottom-up contributions to unit management.

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!