Duke University

Duke University President and Trustee Dick Brodhead

Dick Brodhead

163 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Graduate student in the Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology

Graduate Student (Former Employee)

I worked at Duke University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHigh quality research, diversity of research interests, friendly atmosphere

ConsGraduate school path - very unstructured, as with almost any graduate school in biology - doesn't prepare you for any other career other than academia

Great place to work

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTop notch research facilities and people to interact with.
Lots of additional learning resources and seminars
Great collaboration opportunities
Lots of resources

ConsLong hours
Very competitive atmosphere
Favoritism

Great benefits. High expectations.

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe Duke community is fun. Work can be intense, but it ebbs and flows with the academic calendar. Great benefits.

ConsTerrible parking situation. This seems like a small issue, but I find it reprehensible to pay $860 to park near my building. The next closest available parking is 1/2 mile away, inconsistently available (sometimes have to park farther away), and bus service is only reasonable when class is in session.
Salary is stagnant and doesn't keep up with inflation or cost of living. It is necessary to move to a new department to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate clearer career advancement paths. Continue to offer interesting educational opportunities to staff.

Good place to work but hard to grow

Research Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBeautiful campus, friendly people, good research facilities, good benefits,

ConsSalary for Research Scientist is low, hard to advance

nice place but poorly managed

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits, smart people, nice campus. Durham has a lot to offer for a relatively small city -- night life, restaurants, concerts, entertainment, good nearby parks and recreational opportunities. Duke is a stable employer.

ConsAlmost no opportunity for advancement within a department. You have to move out in order to move up. Parking is inconvenient and expensive. Many managers have no managerial training whatsoever. Micromanagement is common. Application of policies and procedures can be inconsistent, with rules arbitrarily enforced on some people and not others. There is very little diversity at the higher levels -- it's almost entirely old, white men. Staff are treated with disdain by some members of the faculty and senior management. Raises are the same for everyone whether your performance is good, bad or mediocre. Raises do not keep pace with inflation. Female employees at all levels are treated like a servant class. Workload can increase dramatically while staffing remains flat. Office spaces are overloaded with too many employees in spaces that are too small. Employees' needs are disregarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive all managers (including faculty who are managers) some basic management training. Hire more women and minorities in upper management. Provide more opportunities for advancement within departments. Listen to employees and make a sincere effort to address their concerns. Hire good people and give them the freedom to do their jobs without micromanaging them. Reward those who are loyal and work hard. Keep your commitments. Provide free parking for all employees. Provide adequate work space and tools for employees to do their jobs. If the workload increases substantially, hire more people rather than overworking current staff. Require upper level management and faculty to treat all employees with basic courtesy, decency and respect. Encourage managers to allow flexible work schedules and telecommuting options.

Duke is a great place to work!

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDuke has great people, good benefits, good professional growth opportunities, and a great work/life balance. Overall, it's a great place to work.

ConsCompensation is the main thing that comes to mind, but I'm sure that it has a lot to do with it being a university, however, it would seem that there would be more wiggle room since it's a private university.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould want management to consider rethinking compensation as it relates to many of the admin jobs that are throughout the university.

Flexible stable position, good benefits,limited salary growth,pay below industry standards.

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery flexible, some remote work allowed if appropriate for position. Company pays retirement contrib even if you don't. Very good job security if your department is an important one. Good training opportunities, very nice people to work with, family friendly.

ConsBeen difficult to have salary growth keep up with inflation. Sensitive to market, had a wage freeze a few years back. Raise less than inflation percent, pay below industry average.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnce a year performance evaluation always seems to be done with "my glass is half empty" mindset. Recognize and reward highly talented employees, consider how much money they have saved you each year. Put more effort in employee growth/review than 30 minutes a year.

It has been fun

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University part-time for less than a year

ProsOnline time-card, flexible work time

ConsThe organization of TA jobs is not good enough. Somebody get paid by doing nothing.

It's who you know, not what you can do...

Staff Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits are pretty good. Tuition reimbursement is good too.

ConsThere are a lot of cliques in this place and a lot of special treatment. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job you only move up if you know someone or are in one of these cliques. There is also a lot of prejudice going on. Oh and this place is only family friendly to the people in these cliques and the higher ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a lot more management training. Also, the schools themselves need to care about their staff not just the faculty. They like to triple your workload without giving you a raise. But for faculty, they do anything for them. It's the Staff who need the pay increases not the faculty. They just always say there's no money but give them huge raises.

EcoTeach Assistant

EcoTeach Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University part-time for less than a year

ProsGood salary for work study. Good environment. Meet more people on campus. Free candy!

ConsPosition is not so functional

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duke University reviews and ratings in Durham, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Duke University CEO Dick Brodhead. All 163 reviews posted anonymously by Duke University employees.