Duke University Health System

Be The First To
Add Photos

Duke University Health System President and CEO Victor J. Dzau

Victor J. Dzau

Pros:
  • "I found that work-life balance was completely manageable"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great benefits, good environment, always striving to be a leader in healthcare"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "no one seems to have the answer to any questions"
    in 3 reviews
  • "salary lower than some private employers in the area for similar work except for direct patient care salaries"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

New Grad RN

RN, Bsn (Current Employee)
Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time for less than a year

ProsDuke is a great hospital for new grad RNs. They will find a spot for you if you hiring unit doesn't work out for you. Great preceptors, great resources and the chance to work with amazing doctors, nurses and interdisciplinary teams.

ConsThe pay could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us more room to grow

Making work culture improvement,

I have been working at Duke University Health System

ProsMaking significant work culture improvement.

ConsStill have areas that need improvement concerning work culture.

Post-doc experience - great experience, may depend on the group you're with

Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee)
Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time for more than a year

ProsI absolutely love the laboratory I am in, and find the overall research community within the health system quite wonderful to work with. There is an astounding amount of genuine collaboration and shared interests - and often so many talks and opportunities to meet with other people that it can be hard to get actual work done!

ConsYour experience may vary wildly depending on which group you end up with, so careful attention must be paid with who you interview with. Also, particularly within the psychiatry department (the area I am most acquainted with), HR is an absolute nightmare. They never have the forms needed, I know of several people who did not get a paycheck on time (and had to re-fill paperwork for direct deposit 3-4x, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the HR department in line! Also, make the policies associated with entry into the department (all the forms and paperwork and payroll and all that) more streamlined. Once integrated, thing run mostly smoothly (though if you have a problem, it will be difficult to resolve), but getting everything integrated is difficult.

Excellent opportunities for right people

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are hard to beat here. Tuition can be affordable if you have college aged kids who can make it into here as well. Diverse staff.

ConsNot enough staff in the homecare department to fully enable adequate marketing and overall community reputation. Need more nurses and more educational opportunities for all staff. Hospice needs an overhaul as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in more staff than you the numbers say and business will grow. Increase educational opportunities for staff. Stop spending money on consultants to figure out changes needed.

Great health system, excellent retirement benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe best part are the numerous retirement packages you have access to choose from.

ConsThe challenges are getting paid once a month and the salary ranges are not as high as the industry.

Work hard, underpaid

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBenefits were better but they are ok now.

ConsNo real bonus and very small yearly salary increase.

Overall great place to work

Durham, NC

ProsAccess to an abundance of resources, eg software or library materials, and the opportunity to collaborate on interesting projects with leaders in their field. Leadership that is willing to listen feedback and act upon it as much as they are able.

ConsThe health system has been going through a lot of changes so projects and scope can shift dramatically day to day. But this is tied to one major undertaking and things will likely become more predictable once we get through it.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Excellent medical centers with lots of opportunities

Graduate Student (Current Employee)
Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLots of opportunities to explore career options for graduate students

ConsThere is not that much collaborations in some labs.

Great Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Duke University Health System

ProsEveryone is very welcoming and friendly. The staff is all bright and there are many opportunities to work on different projects.

ConsThere wasn't a great process for upward mobility. At times some assignments can be tedious, but that comes with any position.

Great experience, especially for someone trying to get into the healthcare system

Manager (Current Employee)
Durham, NC

ProsThe experience and networking you will make while working at Duke are unmatched anywhere else. If you have a good supervisor you will be exposed to several faculty members and other individuals within the health system. There are always opportunities within the system to encourage collaboration between different specialties.

ConsMuch like other large companies, the inefficiencies can be frustrating. Also, the compensation is not the best.

Worked for Duke University Health System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duke University Health System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Duke University Health System CEO Victor J. Dzau. All 109 reviews posted anonymously by Duke University Health System employees.