Duke University Health System

Updated October 13, 2014
3.6

Duke University Health System President and CEO Victor J. Dzau
Victor J. Dzau

Pros
  • Sr leadership has focus on work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits and the lab I worked in was very flexible on hours to accommodate my family needs (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • no one seems to have the answer to any questions (in 3 reviews)

• salary lower than some private employers in the area for similar work except for direct patient care salaries (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Outstanding Benefits

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As the largest health system in North Carolina, the largest employer in the triangle area, and the second largest employer in the state (besides the state itself) Duke provides a list of employee benefits second to none.

Cons

As the largest health system in North Carolina, the largest employer in the triangle area, and the second largest employer in the state (besides the state itself) Duke attracts so many candidates that they are able to pay on the low side.

CN1

I have been working at Duke University Health System

Pros

The learning opportunities are endless. There's always a chance to see or learn about various diseases that are treated by only DUKE MD's.

Cons

The arrogant attitudes and the culture of the snobs
    Mostly the pay, no matter which field of nursing you enter, the base pay is the same. For instance, a clinic CN1 is paid the same as an ICU CN1. The risk of treating critically ill patients warrants more pay.

Increase the overall pay of the staff and maybe turnover will decrease.

Lots of potential for this company

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time

Pros

The people are great! The environment is relaxed and you are treated like an adult. Some flexibility with work hours depending on your position.

Cons

Not a lot of procedures in place which can sometimes lead to people scrambling to get things done.

Get a proper hierarchy in place so issues are escalated properly and employees have the support they need.

Good place to work but bad place for upward mobility.

Current Employee - Laboratory Research Analyst II in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Laboratory Research Analyst II in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, unique platform, access to good resources.

Cons

Low pay and lack of upward mobility.

More communication and less focus on the micro and more on the macro.

Working in research at DUHS certainly keeps you on your toes

Current Employee - Clinical Trials Assistant II in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Clinical Trials Assistant II in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits if you know how to find and take advantage of them. Great job security; even if your PI runs out of funding, they will work hard to keep you in a similar position in a different lab.

Cons

Pay. Pay pay pay. I have verified this across four years, two different positions, and through friends in HR: the salary you negotiate when you first start working here determines your salary range throughout your career unless you're very aggressive about seeking promotions. I was a data tech II for three years and then got what is technically a promotion to clinical trials assistant II at a different lab, and due to "funding constraints" (i.e., PIs never want to spend their grant money on fair salaries and the department takes their cues from the PI) all they did was meet what I was making at the previous position. I regret not pushing back on that, but when a PI says they don't want to pay you more, and the DUHS HR metrics are skewed to be as conservative as possible, there's not much anyone wants to do about it.

Raises outside of promotions are very rare (outside of the oh-so-generous <2% cost of living raise each year.) And promotions are quite difficult to finagle unless you earn a new degree/certification. Getting acknowledgement for experience or a job well done does not happen on its own here. So my advice: go as high as you possibly can when you first get hired!

Young people trying to start careers in research such as myself deserve fair compensation.

New Grad RN

Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Durham, NC

Pros

Duke is a great hospital for new grad RNs. They will find a spot for you if you hiring unit doesn't work out for you. Great preceptors, great resources and the chance to work with amazing doctors, nurses and interdisciplinary teams.

Cons

The pay could be better.

Give us more room to grow

Post-doc experience - great experience, may depend on the group you're with

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Durham, NC

Pros

I absolutely love the laboratory I am in, and find the overall research community within the health system quite wonderful to work with. There is an astounding amount of genuine collaboration and shared interests - and often so many talks and opportunities to meet with other people that it can be hard to get actual work done!

Cons

Your experience may vary wildly depending on which group you end up with, so careful attention must be paid with who you interview with. Also, particularly within the psychiatry department (the area I am most acquainted with), HR is an absolute nightmare. They never have the forms needed, I know of several people who did not get a paycheck on time (and had to re-fill paperwork for direct deposit 3-4x, etc).

Get the HR department in line! Also, make the policies associated with entry into the department (all the forms and paperwork and payroll and all that) more streamlined. Once integrated, thing run mostly smoothly (though if you have a problem, it will be difficult to resolve), but getting everything integrated is difficult.

Excellent opportunities for right people

Pros

Benefits are hard to beat here. Tuition can be affordable if you have college aged kids who can make it into here as well. Diverse staff.

Cons

Not enough staff in the homecare department to fully enable adequate marketing and overall community reputation. Need more nurses and more educational opportunities for all staff. Hospice needs an overhaul as well.

Invest in more staff than you the numbers say and business will grow. Increase educational opportunities for staff. Stop spending money on consultants to figure out changes needed.

PNA Experience

Former Employee - PNA in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - PNA in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gained a lot of experience

Cons

Did not get the unit that I wanted, somewhat disorganized process surrounding the beginning of the job.

Making work culture improvement,

I have been working at Duke University Health System

Pros

Making significant work culture improvement.

Cons

Still have areas that need improvement concerning work culture.