Duke University Health System

CNA II

Former Employee - CNA II in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - CNA II in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University Health System

Pros

Loved working with them and everyone so nice.

Cons

You're just a number and don't appreciate employees as they should.

Speak to your people more and let them know they are appreciated.

Opportunities everywhere.

Former Employee - Director in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Director in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is always something new and exciting going on at Duke Medical Center. For motivated employees with initiative, the opportunities to advance your career are endless. While salaries are lower than industry in some ways, the benefits are outstanding.

Cons

As with all large organizations, your mileage may vary and will depend on your department and/or supervisor. I was fortunate enough to work in a fantastic group with great colleagues and a supervisor who treated everyone professionally. I recognize that this is not true across the board.

Make it easier to fire people. Working with HR to get rid of employees who under-perform is very difficult and wastes time and money. There are career individuals who know how to "work the system" and the Duke HR process often supports this.

Improve accountability in departments that serve others within the system, ie, HR, parking, finance, etc. These departments are very difficult to work with as a high-level manager.

IT is very clustered, Great benefits

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time

Pros

Opportunities for advancement
    Annual performance raises (small, but raises nonetheless in a tough economy)
    Great benefits

Cons

Poor inter-departmental communication in IT

We implement process improvements for the clinical side, but need to address IT processes so we can beter serve clinical and be more efficient

Company Review

I have been working at Duke University Health System part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A very good place to work at...my department manager is the best manager I've had.

Cons

Nothing huge that comes to mind.

Frustrating, aggravating and a total disappointment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having the ACTUAL experience in itself, possibly having the name on your resume and perhaps networking.

Cons

Due to their ranking and name there's a majority there who feel very arrogant and obnoxious. Everyone is kind to the patients but the employee experience is totally different. Respect is given according to title on badge. I have never experienced more blatantly rude and obnoxious people. Depending on dept.your in or how much brown nosing done management cares less about you or your concerns. I would suggest doing a year or two and advance elsewhere.

Management will continue to do as they please regardless, advice is nthing they would consider in the least.

Horrible managment

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, able to do flex time
    great fringe benefits

Cons

Horrible manager
    Manager uses fear to control office

Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

most of the employees are great,management no so great

Cons

Most of the managers could care less about you...They have complaints after complaints and nothing is ever done about it..it is all in who you know there,work culture is a joke at duke

Needs alot of training and needs to learn how to treat people !!!!!!

Research Technician

I worked at Duke University Health System

Pros

You have set work hours so you know exactly when you will get off of work. There are also opportunities for overtime to get a little extra pay.

Cons

There is a lack of on-going learning experiences and career development. Direct report/manager also lack professionalism.

Great place to work

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Have worked in a lab for 8 years and moved up from technician to lab manager. Great benefits and the lab I worked in was very flexible on hours to accommodate my family needs. Nice facilities and enjoy being part of the the great and important work that is done at Duke. Got the chance to interact with many people from all over the world

Cons

Parking too expensive so have had to park in a remote lot and take bus.

Good!

Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University Health System part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great environment. Obviously it depends greatly on the department or division, but I have found that Duke University Health System offers a very good working environment and good collaboration between co-workers. I have enjoyed my time here.

Cons

The system is huge. Of course, this is unavoidable to an extent but the institutional bureaucracy shows. Just hope you never have a technical, HR, etc issue! Sometimes it is hard not to feel completely loss in the mammoth system that is Duke University Health System.