Duke University

Duke University Reviews in Raleigh-Durham, NC

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Duke University President and Trustee Dick Brodhead

Dick Brodhead

Pros
  • Great work-life balance and a ton of flexibility in terms of scheduling(in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, wonderful co-workers (in most jobs)(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • If you do want to work hard, opportunities for advancement are not easy to come by(in 8 reviews)

• long hours, office space, management(in 8 reviews)

192 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great place to work!

Administrative Director (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsExcellent benefits. Stellar academics. Good work-life balance. Wonderful people.

ConsLimited opportunities to advance within the organization.

Positive environment

Graduate Student (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Prosfreedom with daily schedule and activities, many resources and sharing between departments

Consinterdisciplinary research may result in lack of department support

Graduate research assistant

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Pros- excellent classes, connections, and flexibility
    - great opportunities and support, including career fairs, stipends for travel, and supplementary fellowships

Cons- parking
    - many of the professors are big names, so it's hard, especially in big labs, to get time with your professor

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent for undergrad, good for grad

PhD Candidate (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsGreat people. Financial stability. Great basketball team.

ConsSmall university; only few areas of research and classes offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe bar for passing phd defense should be the same for all students, irrespective of the advisor.

Tangerines vs Oranges

Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsBenefits, friendly work environment, job duties clearly defined. Each department or division operates differently!!!!! It really hard to compare.

ConsYou have to know someone to get hired on the University side, little room for growth, no incentive for excelling - everyone gets the same 3% raise. When the grant is over - you are on your own. HR does not help keep great employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport front line workers more: job security and career growth not just upper managers and Tenured faculty

Great employer with excellent benefits and commitment to employee development.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsDuke has an excellent health insurance for its employees. Benefits inclusive of time off and tuition benefits for kids are also very good. Duke pays attention to work-life balance.

ConsChildcare for pre-school children was difficult this was combined with the problems of the surrounding area (Durham). Duke has been working on improving this through community engagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuke is a good place to work. Continue investments in surrounding community to continue improving quality of life of employees living in Durham.

Good benefits, low pay

Attorney (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsGreat benefits, family friendly, flexible hours, telecommuting possible, decent work culture, nice place to live, tuition reimbursement available, childcare onsite, supportive co-workers, decent vacation, paid maternity leave

ConsLow salary, little job growth, can be slow to implement new ideas, can be resistant to change, heavy meeting culture, HR policies make it difficult to get ahead due to tight restrictions on pay scales and raises when you do finally earn a promotion

Top place to work

Program Assistant (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Prosfamily community, great benefits, great pay, numerous opportunities, brilliant people, very diverse, they appreciate their employees, great faculty and staff, always part of the team even after leaving

ConsParking is definitely a con, but that is common with universities. Parking in the summer is not as bad as it is during the school year.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone--Keep up the good work!

Great time as a teacher's assistant

Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsAs a student you get the chance to earn an extra bit of money, besides what your parents provide, while at the same time re-learning material from a past class and helping students within your age range.

ConsThe work load of grading papers, attending classes without getting credits, and hosting office hours in place of the professor can take a toll on studies and social life, but otherwise it was a great experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessors that take on TAs: Make it clear exactly what you'd like them to do. Us as students want to make as much money a week as possible. It helps to know what we should do during our paid hours.

Great Resources

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsYou get to cross any lines necessary to research leading information.

ConsThere are none to speak of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!