Duke University

Duke University Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Duke University President and Trustee Dick Brodhead

Dick Brodhead

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance and benefits are very good"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Great health insurance, beautiful campus"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Opportunities for advancement in HR are pretty slim"
    in 8 reviews
  • "long hours, office space, management"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Go Blue Devils!

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHuge potential for growth, exceptional at diversity and leadership nurturing.

ConsDurham can be better by incorporating a mature international culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a mature Chinese community network will help you.

Duke was very supportive

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat atmosphere and working conditions.

ConsLittle room for growth, slow feedback system

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage room for growth

Great place to work and study

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Duke University

ProsThere are tons of opportunities at Duke University either at the Nicholas School or the Nicholas Institute to work on environmental research. I have also worked in the lichen and moss herbarium and the people are fantastic!

ConsIt is somewhat difficult to navigate the HR website and it feels that when you apply to a job, you are entering a black hole.

Supportive of graduate students

I have been working at Duke University

ProsMany support programs for students. Cheap place to live.

ConsMany labs are struggling to get funding, just like everywhere else.

A very positive experience.

I have been working at Duke University

ProsThere are many good scientists and administrators and there is a collaborative atmosphere all around. The people are quite friendly and willing to help.

ConsI can think of none.

Graduate student in the Department of Molecular Genetics and Microbiology

Graduate Student (Former Employee)

I worked at Duke University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHigh quality research, diversity of research interests, friendly atmosphere

ConsGraduate school path - very unstructured, as with almost any graduate school in biology - doesn't prepare you for any other career other than academia

Great place to work

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTop notch research facilities and people to interact with.
Lots of additional learning resources and seminars
Great collaboration opportunities
Lots of resources

ConsLong hours
Very competitive atmosphere
Favoritism

Great benefits. High expectations.

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe Duke community is fun. Work can be intense, but it ebbs and flows with the academic calendar. Great benefits.

ConsTerrible parking situation. This seems like a small issue, but I find it reprehensible to pay $860 to park near my building. The next closest available parking is 1/2 mile away, inconsistently available (sometimes have to park farther away), and bus service is only reasonable when class is in session.
Salary is stagnant and doesn't keep up with inflation or cost of living. It is necessary to move to a new department to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate clearer career advancement paths. Continue to offer interesting educational opportunities to staff.

nice place but poorly managed

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits, smart people, nice campus. Durham has a lot to offer for a relatively small city -- night life, restaurants, concerts, entertainment, good nearby parks and recreational opportunities. Duke is a stable employer.

ConsAlmost no opportunity for advancement within a department. You have to move out in order to move up. Parking is inconvenient and expensive. Many managers have no managerial training whatsoever. Micromanagement is common. Application of policies and procedures can be inconsistent, with rules arbitrarily enforced on some people and not others. There is very little diversity at the higher levels -- it's almost entirely old, white men. Staff are treated with disdain by some members of the faculty and senior management. Raises are the same for everyone whether your performance is good, bad or mediocre. Raises do not keep pace with inflation. Female employees at all levels are treated like a servant class. Workload can increase dramatically while staffing remains flat. Office spaces are overloaded with too many employees in spaces that are too small. Employees' needs are disregarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive all managers (including faculty who are managers) some basic management training. Hire more women and minorities in upper management. Provide more opportunities for advancement within departments. Listen to employees and make a sincere effort to address their concerns. Hire good people and give them the freedom to do their jobs without micromanaging them. Reward those who are loyal and work hard. Keep your commitments. Provide free parking for all employees. Provide adequate work space and tools for employees to do their jobs. If the workload increases substantially, hire more people rather than overworking current staff. Require upper level management and faculty to treat all employees with basic courtesy, decency and respect. Encourage managers to allow flexible work schedules and telecommuting options.

Duke is a great place to work!

I have been working at Duke University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDuke has great people, good benefits, good professional growth opportunities, and a great work/life balance. Overall, it's a great place to work.

ConsCompensation is the main thing that comes to mind, but I'm sure that it has a lot to do with it being a university, however, it would seem that there would be more wiggle room since it's a private university.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould want management to consider rethinking compensation as it relates to many of the admin jobs that are throughout the university.

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Duke University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Duke University CEO Dick Brodhead. All 240 reviews posted anonymously by Duke University employees.