Duke University Reviews

398 reviews filtered by
4.2
Duke University President and Trustee Dick Brodhead
Dick Brodhead

Pros
  • A lot of sports events so you have a very good work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Great benefits, wonderful co-workers (in most jobs) (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • If you do want to work hard, opportunities for advancement are not easy to come by (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours in the lab (in 10 reviews)

1. Project Management

I worked at Duke University full-time

Pros

Very professional and science driven organization

Cons

Grant funding can provide some instability

Advice to Management

None

2. Research in medical sciences

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance and friendly coworkers. Flexibility in work schedule as long as the job gets done. I would recommend this employer and there are many positions that are needed.

Cons

Salary a bit low, but overall the benefits fills that lack of base pay. There are no other cons except that research funding is getting tougher every year and that adds instability to the job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. Great pay for the work

I have been working at Duke University

Pros

Time flexibility, pay, and health benefits

Cons

Ad hoc requests changing across professors you are TA for.

5. great company

I have been working at Duke University

Pros

lots of overtime. close knit co-workers. great benefits.

Cons

shift bids. tiring. super busy during the day.

Well funded top university

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Feedback from a graduate student, instructor and lecturer in the humanities: this is a great place to be a graduate student from a career development perspective. Duke is a wealthy private university, so class sizes are small, typically c. 10-30 students in a humanities class. You get independent teaching experience very quickly: as a teaching assistant in your second and third years, and full responsibility for a small seminar (c. 10-15 students) in your fourth and fifth years. I also had the opportunity to teach two larger (c. 30 students) lecture type classes. The Graduate School also offers a Teaching Certificate, which requires you to take classes that are actually practical - teaching observation, portfolio and website development, etc. The stipend is generous given the relatively cheap living conditions in the area - you can have a normal life and an apartment of your own, or quite luxurious accommodations if you share. So it is possible to graduate with a PhD and no debt whatsoever if you manage your finances well.

Cons

Feedback from a graduate student, instructor and lecturer in the humanities: the Graduate School is not very good at communicating with grads on practical matters, such as parking, external funding, and funding for grad student fees and healthcare past your fifth year. You really have to think ahead and ask a lot of questions which should really be in an email newsletter somewhere sent to you regularly. Departments also have individual power over some of the graduation requirements, which may not be written down or set out explicitly and half the time the profs have no clue either. Also, certain Graduate School policies - such as on sexual assault and harassment - are a mess, it's not clear what the process is at graduate level. The Grad Student Govt is now working on this. Summary: there usually is a process, but the School is not very good about its communication, which means that if you're not careful, you might end up fire-fighting various issues later in your grad career. I've done a lot of this research on my own, and was continually surprised at how little other graduate students knew about various things - I can't even count the number of times that someone said, "wow, how do you know that? I didn't..."

Advice to Management

Communicate better and more clearly and more often about: available external funding early on, what happens to student funding and healthcare in sixth year and onwards, parking, sports & social & art events at grad level.

7. Excellent university

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University

Pros

beautiful campus and four seasons

Cons

summer is too hot. This is the only thing I don't like.

8. Teaching Assistant

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and a good working relationship with students and professors make this a great role for any graduate student.

Cons

Sometimes the work will not be enough to fill your hours or your needs but you can always ask to take on extra jobs and get involved in the research.

9. Executive Director, Social Sector

Former Employee - Executive Director in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At Duke Divinity School I used management consulting skills to support efforts in hospice and post-war reconciliation. Fabulous worthy work at the top of many faith-based organizations. You learn a lot about why people act the way they do and what worthy goals are, and you get to hang out with people who have read many of the best ancient texts. The subject matter is inspirational and fascinating. I learned so much!

Cons

There is a naivety in top-tier universities about management. In my experience, it goes like this: "Because X is a prestigious university, and X hired me, I must be great at my supervisory role too though I have little management training, nor does my supervisor, and we do not have any role models for what a great manager does or looks like except for (fill in name of top sports coach like Coach K), who we invoke, but don't emulate." In this region, I have experienced this situation at UNC and at Duke. I love both the universities campuses and a lot of people on each campus. But this is a real problem leading to very painful public issues for both institutions that harm the institutions.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that few people are born managers and leaders. It's a craft. By respecting it and attending to its best practices, the Duke Divinity School can close the gap between espoused values and lived out values.

10. Great Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Intern in Durham, NC

I worked at Duke University

Pros

Wonderful work environment, great employees, excellent learning opportunities

Cons

Parking can be an issue

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

11. Good environment, nice co-workers

Current Intern - Social Media Intern in Durham, NC
    Current Intern - Social Media Intern in Durham, NC

I have been working at Duke University as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Get lots of employee benefits as a student intern. Such as auto discounts, medical...student employee gets the same benefits as full time employees here

Cons

Pay rate is not very high. But as a student here, we do not have many choices. Finding an intern here is already very good.

Advice to Management

Management team has done a very good job. But the working pace can speed up a bit. Meetings can be arranged more frequently to facilitate rapid changes in social media markets.