Duke University

Duke University Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Duke University President and Trustee Dick Brodhead

Dick Brodhead

Pros
  • Great work-life balance and a ton of flexibility in terms of scheduling(in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, wonderful co-workers (in most jobs)(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • If you do want to work hard, opportunities for advancement are not easy to come by(in 8 reviews)

• long hours, office space, management(in 8 reviews)

Duke Athletics

ProsTraining, time-off policies, work life balance. Everything in the Athletic Department has been exactly what I thought it would be.

ConsWith most employees having a lot of experience at Duke Athletics, it is hard to move up because these employees have no intention of leaving, and the department is not expanding.

A great place to work!

Administrative Director (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsExcellent benefits. Stellar academics. Good work-life balance. Wonderful people.

ConsLimited opportunities to advance within the organization.

Great employer with excellent benefits and commitment to employee development.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsDuke has an excellent health insurance for its employees. Benefits inclusive of time off and tuition benefits for kids are also very good. Duke pays attention to work-life balance.

ConsChildcare for pre-school children was difficult this was combined with the problems of the surrounding area (Durham). Duke has been working on improving this through community engagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuke is a good place to work. Continue investments in surrounding community to continue improving quality of life of employees living in Durham.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top place to work

Program Assistant (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Prosfamily community, great benefits, great pay, numerous opportunities, brilliant people, very diverse, they appreciate their employees, great faculty and staff, always part of the team even after leaving

ConsParking is definitely a con, but that is common with universities. Parking in the summer is not as bad as it is during the school year.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone--Keep up the good work!

Great time as a teacher's assistant

Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsAs a student you get the chance to earn an extra bit of money, besides what your parents provide, while at the same time re-learning material from a past class and helping students within your age range.

ConsThe work load of grading papers, attending classes without getting credits, and hosting office hours in place of the professor can take a toll on studies and social life, but otherwise it was a great experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessors that take on TAs: Make it clear exactly what you'd like them to do. Us as students want to make as much money a week as possible. It helps to know what we should do during our paid hours.

Great Resources

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsYou get to cross any lines necessary to research leading information.

ConsThere are none to speak of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Great Coworkers

Residential Counsellor, DUKE TIP East (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsFriendly atmosphere, while not forgetting about the work. All hardworking staff.

ConsShort contract period. Perhaps a bit under-paid?

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Doing What You're Doing

great place to work.

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Durham, NC

Prosexcellent benefits, flexible time off, good work-life balance, very good professional resources for graduate students, postdocs and research scientists, innovative and interesting work.

Conslack of teamwork; this is research group specific and depends on the principle investigator; I experienced only limited interactions between research groups.

Advice to Senior Managementcreate better team environment

Research Assistant at Math Department

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsThe best part of working at Duke is the access to amazing faculty and resources- I worked directly with the inventor of JPEG at Duke and learned a great deal.

ConsWork load can be great and work-life balance can be better.

Research Assistant Professor

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsGreat environment and opportunities to work with outstanding researchers in every field. Salary is also above of the average

ConsNot many opportunities to grow up since the environment is very competitive. Please use to work alone.

Worked for Duke University? Contribute to the Community!